Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #441
10wt3ch
Human being with feelings

New features: upgraded to Lucid Puppy 5.1 (with updates), Line 6 support, graffiti fonts, improved menus, and a bunch of new software.
10wt3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #442
synth

The real Puppy Studio (not Ubuntu Studio Puppy Edition) is out:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60483

Now featuring the latest stable RT kernel compiled with a 1000 Hz timer and more/updated apps.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #443
synth

Why Puppy Studio really *is* the best:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60828

Now available on Softpedia:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Syste...io-58784.shtml

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #444
arbogast

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth View Post
It probably is nice, but i'm having trouble getting X to work. Off to xorg.conf - sigh!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #445
jamieskeen

downloaded it, gonna try it out this evening.
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #446
Stitchz

I love the idea of a hassle-free OS that is able to function adequately as a DAW. The possibility of having it installed on removable media is fantastic. So I donwloaded puppy studio, and tested it in my netbook (eeePC 901).

I managed to create a bootable SD card, by using unetbootin (windows).

It worked, the OS boots correctly via the SD card.

Reaper starts and seems to be responsive.

However, I was unable to test the audio. I copied the "making me nervous" project from the windows drive to the reaper directory within puppy. I then started reaper and loaded the project. The project opens properly, I see the tracks and waves appearing, but Pressing play doesn't do anything.

Any thoughts?
Stitchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #447
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchz View Post
I love the idea of a hassle-free OS that is able to function adequately as a DAW. The possibility of having it installed on removable media is fantastic. So I donwloaded puppy studio, and tested it in my netbook (eeePC 901).

I managed to create a bootable SD card, by using unetbootin (windows).

It worked, the OS boots correctly via the SD card.

Reaper starts and seems to be responsive.

However, I was unable to test the audio. I copied the "making me nervous" project from the windows drive to the reaper directory within puppy. I then started reaper and loaded the project. The project opens properly, I see the tracks and waves appearing, but Pressing play doesn't do anything.

Any thoughts?
Have you configured jack?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #448
Stitchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
Have you configured jack?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Thanks for your suggestion!

I found that the problem was not the jack configuration. If I open reaper, add a new track, I am able to record and playback. If I load any other project, the audio system stops working in reaper. The only way to get recording/playback to work again is to restart reaper.

It feels like reaper loses connection with the audio system, if for any reason audio needs to restart (eg. new project).

I will try testing puppy with a line6 ux1 usb interface I have lying around somewhere.

Cheers!
Stitchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #449
hopi

So I started looking into this Puppy stuff...

I got the iso for puppy 5.1, burned to a cd and booted from that cd in an older dell laptop.... that worked OK...

But when I get the Puppy Studio 3.1 iso and burn that to a cd, it will not boot up in the same laptop. I can see the pc trying to boot from the CD but eventually it gives up and boots into XP from the HD.

I've looked at the contents of 5.1 and 3.1 iso's and it all 'looks' ok...

What to do?????
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #450
johnrule

I keep getting a kernel panic on my MSI K8MM3-V (VIA chipset) mobo machine during startup...tried the suggested switch too. All other distros I try seem to work fine, so I believe it is something unique to your build, and I would like to use it.

Any suggestions?

JR
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #451
todd_r

How does puppy studio compare to turbopup xtreme? Just started trying out puppy studio and it seems amazing
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #452
moebek

can I run different instances of Kontakt with reaper? Sorry if my question sounds silly, I am new to linux and don't want to shift from windows till I know if it works likewise or better
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #453
mrufino1

No, You can't run kontakt under linux as far as I know. I have been giving linux audio a serious effort for the past year but as our project nears completion it is just not handling what we are trying to do and I am about to reload a stripped version of xp to run reaper again. Trying to shoehorn windows programs onto linux doesn't make sense, I have tried to run every music distro there is but at some point the still disjointed nature of linux audio is causing issues, and running windows software under wine has never worked for me.

Part of the disjointed nature is manufacturers not allowing programmers to make drivers for their hardware, as in the case of firewire audio, which is an outright mess. I don't see the harm in allowing people to program drivers- you still need to buy the hardware to run it. Unless there is a financial incentive from microsoft not to do so, but I don't want to start the conspiracy...

I hate windows tremendously but at the moment a mac is not an option for me and finishing mixing my project is. I love linux for everything else, typing on it right now, and puppystudio is really good, but once you start trying to run fairly complicated mixes (and I say fairly- a few sends, some plugins really isn't that complicated) things start to choke. It pains me to even post this, but it is the reality I have run into. I hope that I can be proved wrong and I will definitely be keeping up with linux audio development but not at the expense of actually finishing work, which is where I'm at right now.
So, that being said, if you need kontakt, I wouldn't switch. For day to day stuff, I would absolutely set up a dual boot system and do everything else on linux.
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #454
moebek

Always wanted to migrate to linux, but it doesn't sound possible now. Thanks mrufino1 for the heads up
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #455
mrufino1

I feel terrible even posting that, because I REALLY wanted linux to work for me. Kind of sad that I'm going to be using windows for anything but as I said, I need to finish my project. That being said, if you do use linux for music, puppy studio is great. It runs really well from a usb stick and I tracked a bunch of my band's shows with my phonic mixer with no hiccups. I tried to make ardour work for me (I hear ardour 3 is going ot have much better workflow) but ultimately too many steps to do simple things and reaper always blew me away with how efficient the workflow is, so I'm going to be coming back and mixing the whole album on it. So if I'm going to do that, no sense in trying to make it run on linux when it runs well on windows. xp performance ran great on my t60 when I got it, so I'll be going back to it for now, swapping out the hard drive for when I am doing music so avoid a dual boot with windows situation. But as I said, for day to day stuff, linux is still where I'll be, no virus issues, programs that don't cost anything that work, nice and efficient, etc.
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote