Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
God™
Human being with feelings

Default Open source, and GUI questions...

First off, great product you have here. I had a similar idea a few years back (but unfortunately lacked the programming skills to pull it off back then). I did envision a GUI though, where effects were graphically placed in a workspace, and lines were drawn between effects, so that inputs/outputs could be visualized and easily re-arranged. Any possibility we'll see something like this in the future?

Also, will this project become open source?

Thanks again for your talent.
God™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
root02

I believe Native Instruments has a graphical guitar effects system like what you describe. It IS commercial, however, and probably not very cheap.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the product off hand...
And I like Jesusonic, myself..

[root@your.box /]# logoff
root02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
rabit

There's a couple of music apps that use a node-based approach. Reaktor, Reason, Max/MSP, J/Max, Buzz just to name a couple from memory. Powerful interfaces for designing sounds, but clumsy if you're trying to work with it to produce sounds live. Jesusonic's interface seems to be oriented toward being usable while performing live.

A few things that would be nice would be a command console that can execute macros, automate loading of effects or parameter changes. A way to assign macros to fire on certain events, such as when I move my MIDI foot pedal, is something I've not seen in any music software. A daemon mode would be really useful so that the software can be used on a display-less rack machine and controlled remotely from serial or TCP/IP.

.rabit
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
jdhchang

Native Instruments has a program called Guitar Rig that comes with a pedal system and a rig program. It looks really interesting. And it is very expensive.
jdhchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
root02

Guitar Rig! that's the one I was thinking of... and yeah, not cheap either...

[root@your.box /]# logoff
root02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
coderx

Default BeOS

If I'm not really mistaken, BeOS had something very similar to this draw a line to connect it up system, years back I remember people buzzing about it, basically you could pipe the output of any audio device to another without jumpers etc, it was all done in software, which is basically what you'd be doing with effects, just adding my $0.02

Thanks,
--cx
coderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
JustinTArthur

Default A GUI software audio circuitry solution.

There is an open source GUI solution for connecting up internal audio circuits on any system running ALSA, and that's by using a combination of alsa-libs, the JACK daemon, and the qJACKctl. Here's a guide I posted to getting this set up:
How to Achieve Low Latency and Routing with Jesusonic and Linux

Last edited by JustinTArthur; 02-11-2005 at 12:07 AM.
JustinTArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
Dievs

Default Kx Project

KxProject ( http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1 ) has done a similar thing for the SB-Live/Audigy soundcards, allowing to route the inputs, and create DSP effects - and the best part is that this is done on the soundcard's processors, thus latency really isn't an issue at all.

I haven't managed to get a good distortion sound out of it, though, so I am not using it for effects - but the idea is good, and works well.
Dievs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #9
Dievs

Default Guitar Rig

I recently had the chance to try out Guitar Rig... It really is awesome.
Now, if only I could somehow include Guitar Rig's guitar effects within jesusonic's path - so I can use the more easily scriptable jesusonic + triggers + the drummachine, but still gain the Guitar Rig's distortion sound....
Dievs is offline   Reply With Quote