Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's MIDI Sync is the worst!

Reaper is awful at MIDI syncing!
I'm trying to sync Reaper to Reaper which you would imagine having a high compatibility and success rate, right?
Nothing...a total disaster! I've even tried two different sound cards but the result is +- the same: either nothing happens, the slaved Reaper doesn't react at all or it's all jerky and unusable.

I've had more success syncing Reaper to Ableton, slight better success with Samplitude and amazingly, almost perfect sync with Magix Vegas Pro!

Looking at the history in the forum, the problem has always been there and that totally baffles me! How can this not be a high priority!?

How well, just needed to get it out one more time (I'll probably be back on this topic).
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
bcslaam

I rarely use MIDI clock sync anymore unless for jamming. The best way to sync 2 daws is with LTC, plus wordclock. MTC plus wordclock will suffice.
Just make sure your tempo maps are the same in each daw. I also have song position pointing (SPP) enabled aswell.

If the daws are in the same pc use Rearoute and piggy back on reapers virtual asio driver on the other daw. You dont need wordclock in this case.

In fact even now for jamming, MTC is all i use (via Copperlan), with no wordclock (just being lazy and it doesnt make a big diff in jamming). It works well.

Unfortunately MIDI clock is a sad state of affairs but is your only choice if, in a jam you want to manually change tempo and keep all things in sync.

Last edited by bcslaam; 10-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
chumbo

We don't have wordclock available in our setup. But that's really the basis of my complaint.
If Reaper's MIDI sync was properly implemented, it wouldn't be necessary to find all these elaborate workarounds. And there are lots on the forum (using external plugins, scripts, etc...)
And with the likes of wordclock - as I just pointed out for myself - it won't always be available to all users. Unlike a MIDI port and cable which can be found on countless devices, from cheap to high-end and is just a recognized standard for syncing anyway.

(I should have maybe pointed that out, the syncing is done between two PCs, not internally on one)

It's just really frustrating since I know for a fact it can work beautifully if done right!
As I said, with Magix Vegas Pro it was rock solid (slight latency but that's a different issue easy to resolve).
And Ableton Link...OMG!! That's amazing! I did a test and the two metronome clicks from each Ableton Live running on the 2 PCs are virtually indistinguishable from each other!

So it can be done, just unfortunate Cockos doesn't care enough to address it.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
mschnell

A Word Clock signal is for sample synchronizing with audio devices and AFAIK has nothing to do with Midi or measure/bar/music synchronization.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote