Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
numberthirty
Human being with feelings

Default Project Templates Vs. Existing Project Files

Throwing this one out there for a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
Is there any way to apply project templates to existing project files?

E.g. you have some songs from one recording session, split into different project files. So they've all got recorded sound on them already. I'm aware of project templates as a way to have a consistent starting point for new recordings (w/r/t input routing esp.), but is there a way to make them work with extant projects?

I can think of a pile of ways to accomplish what I want; just wondering if this might be one of the ways.
Thought there might be some more in depth insight than mine here on the board.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
MonkeyBars

no, but there are mixer snapshots, track templates, and other portions of projects you can import
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #3
Magicbuss

Yeah Im not aware of any way of taking an existing project and making it conform to a global mixing template.

As Monkeybars said there are workarounds.

Track templates
FX Chains (Master Buss FX Chain and individual track types like Vocal FX chain, Bass FX chain, etc.)
Screensets
Default FX settings
Monitor FX chain (these are global and appear in every project new or existing)

One big one for me is taking the Send FX from my mixing template and saving just those as their own track template. That way I can import all of my FX (reverbs, delays, modulation and parallel processing) into an existing project. You'll still have to assign the sends manually but all the heavy lifting is already done.

You could also create a Track template of all your most common folder tracks/busses. Once you import them you'd just need to drag all the existing tracks to their appropriate folders.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
serr

I'll just open a project I think has a useful element to reuse in a new tab and cut/paste what I want from it. Or the other way around. Open the project I decide to use as a template and drag/drop the audio files into it. Tabs is the secret. You can open multiple projects in tabs and cut/paste between them.

The "template" thing can be unintuitive. You don't really know when you want to reuse some past work until that point... So I just do as I said above.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote