Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
vectorwarrior
Human being with feelings

Default Click to move playhead creates time selections

This has been driving me crazy for ages now. I click somewhere to move the playhead, but the detection for what is a 'click' and what is a 'click drag' doesn't match what I'm intending on doing and very often Reaper is creating time selections rather than just moving the playhead. Often I dont even realise it's created a time selection because it is so small that you can't even see it, so I press play and get a tiny glitching loop.

Either the resolution for mouse movements while click dragging is too fine and it's detecting minor mouse movements as click and drag... or Reaper shouldn't allow time selections of less than X pixels.

Am I the only one that is getting frustrated by this? This is the only software that I use that suffers from this problem, so I'm thinking it's a reaper problem rather than a hardware issue or user error.

Thanks!
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Can't say I had an issue with that over here...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
FnA

I have not noticed it with time selection in track context. On this laptop right now, I have to move it several pixels to start one, even with snap off. Where I always notice it is accidentally drawing a note in the MIDI Editor with the slightest Drag when trying to Click. Seems like 1 pixel.

Windows 7 REAPER 64.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorwarrior View Post
This has been driving me crazy for ages now. I click somewhere to move the playhead, but the detection for what is a 'click' and what is a 'click drag' doesn't match what I'm intending on doing and very often Reaper is creating time selections rather than just moving the playhead. Often I dont even realise it's created a time selection because it is so small that you can't even see it, so I press play and get a tiny glitching loop.

Either the resolution for mouse movements while click dragging is too fine and it's detecting minor mouse movements as click and drag... or Reaper shouldn't allow time selections of less than X pixels.

Am I the only one that is getting frustrated by this? This is the only software that I use that suffers from this problem, so I'm thinking it's a reaper problem rather than a hardware issue or user error.

Thanks!
I experience this very same issue mainly and alot in Media Explorer:
When i thought i just clicked somewhere in the waveform of a previewed file, to play preview from the clicked point , it creates a very small time selection.

Tried with several different mouses, same issue keeps appearing.

OSX 10.12.6
Reaper 64bit, always latest beta.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:04 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorwarrior View Post

Thanks!
Win or Mac?
Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 AM   #6
bezusheist

I've had a similar behavior, pretty annoying.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
vectorwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Win or Mac?
Win 10 64bit.
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Fergler

I get similar frustration. That's why I changed this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ab57v59.png

This way you can only draw time selections on the ruler, not on the arrange window. Similar I believe to Logic if I'm not mistaken. This has prevented me from drawing time selections instead of grabbing the sides of items if I'm working fast.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #9
Thepeel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I get similar frustration. That's why I changed this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ab57v59.png

This way you can only draw time selections on the ruler, not on the arrange window. Similar I believe to Logic if I'm not mistaken. This has prevented me from drawing time selections instead of grabbing the sides of items if I'm working fast.
I know this is an old post but, you just saved my life with this trick! That has been driving me nuts, thank you so much!
Thepeel89 is offline   Reply With Quote