Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Guitar-ologist
Human being with feelings

Default Define ? - WDM Kernel Streaming, Direct Sound, ASIO, Dummy

hi again , just thought id ask this general question to try and get a better understanding of how or why we would choose one over say another of them... hopefully someone can give us the low down in plain terms for those of us out there like myself who are not very PC literate .

I think the terms were prezented in reapers drop down list as follows -

- WDM Kernel Streaming,
- Direct Sound,
- ASIO,
- Dummy
- Wave out .... (not sure i think this was an option too ?)

I think thats all of them, im not at the pc with reaper on it so just going by memory, if i missed one or if i put one up that was not on the list please let me know and i will edit and fix...

perhaps this thread will be useful for anyone who is doing a search for info on them . I just think having a thorough round up of all of them together on one page might be helpful .... I personally would like to better understand how to pick the right one to use and why etc ...

posting any Links to good info would be of great help too .

thanks you.
Guitar-ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
jinko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar-ologist View Post
hi again , just thought id ask this general question to try and get a better understanding of how or why we would choose one over say another of them... hopefully someone can give us the low down in plain terms for those of us out there like myself who are not very PC literate .

I think the terms were prezented in reapers drop down list as follows -

- WDM Kernel Streaming,
- Direct Sound,
- ASIO,
- Dummy
- Wave out .... (not sure i think this was an option too ?)

I think thats all of them, im not at the pc with reaper on it so just going by memory, if i missed one or if i put one up that was not on the list please let me know and i will edit and fix...

perhaps this thread will be useful for anyone who is doing a search for info on them . I just think having a thorough round up of all of them together on one page might be helpful .... I personally would like to better understand how to pick the right one to use and why etc ...

posting any Links to good info would be of great help too .

thanks you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_streaming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectSound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Guitar-ologist

thanks Jinko17,

I briefly read through the links , there good ... still curious about the one called "dummy audio" , mind you I only just briefly read your links so it could be in there..

I am gonna take some more time later to more thoroughly read the links and try to understand the info contained in them better. then i will post back here with questions on them etc..

but its a long weekend here in canada so i wont be posting back till after monday...

so thank you again for the links and hope you have a nice weekend too
Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar-ologist View Post
thanks Jinko17,

I briefly read through the links , there good ... still curious about the one called "dummy audio" , mind you I only just briefly read your links so it could be in there..

I am gonna take some more time later to more thoroughly read the links and try to understand the info contained in them better. then i will post back here with questions on them etc..

but its a long weekend here in canada so i wont be posting back till after monday...

so thank you again for the links and hope you have a nice weekend too
Yes, this terminology can be confusing.. I think " Dummy Audio" sounds like they had me in mind..!(lol)....
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

It's really only that - a non-functional driver dummy for oddball stuff and troubleshooting. (It lets Reaper work but doesn't touch any audio hardware.)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Guitar-ologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
It's really only that - a non-functional driver dummy for oddball stuff and troubleshooting. (It lets Reaper work but doesn't touch any audio hardware.)
just when i had one foot out the door i got sucked back into the conversation lol..he he

Ok so Odd ball stuff, like what for example(if you can think of example please) , you got me curious now thats all,,,,

Re - snatchman no your wrong, Im sure it must have been me they had in mind ....lol..
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
pooka

Default WaveOut? What next?

My drop down box has the same list, WDM Kernal Streaming, Direct sound, WaveOut, ASIO, Dummy Audio. My computer doesn't have ASIO. The bottom of the box says that WaveOut is chosen by default for better compatibility. The manual doesn't have directions for WaveOut, though and suggests ASIO. Can I make recordings of voices talking with the WaveOut choice? How do I do that?
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
My drop down box has the same list, WDM Kernal Streaming, Direct sound, WaveOut, ASIO, Dummy Audio. My computer doesn't have ASIO. The bottom of the box says that WaveOut is chosen by default for better compatibility. The manual doesn't have directions for WaveOut, though and suggests ASIO. Can I make recordings of voices talking with the WaveOut choice? How do I do that?
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/361430/...ng-a-track.gif
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
fanks steiny. using an image editor to display text takes a little longer, but it looks nice. i think that i will switch to this method from now on.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/361530/record_a_track.gif
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
kjwmusic

Default Multi sound card setup that woked for me (Two Echo Layla 20 bit cards)

Computer Specs:
Reaper 3.61
2 Intel Xeon 3.6Ghz
4GB of RAM (as this is the maximum Win2k can allocate)
Intel Motherboard with 4 PCI 2.1 slots and 1 AGP 8X slot
1 Nvidia Video card with two 32" Samsung TV/Monitors
2 Event Electronics (Echo Audio)Layla PCI sound cards with Beakout boxes(the 20 bit version)

Each Beakout box of the Layla consists of 8 1/4" TRS Ballanced/UnBallanced inputs and 10 1/4" TRS Ballanced/UnBallanced Outputs (all switchable between -10db/+4db) (No preamps) plus 2 S/PDIF inputs and 2 S/PDIF outputs via left/right.

This allows a total of 20 inputs (16 anolog) and 24 outputs (20 anolog).

Each sound card requires it's ow PCI slot with a propriatary 25 pin cable that runs to its perspective brealout box.

INSTALATION PROCESS:
1) If you havent already installed one of the cards yet, do so now, but only one card. Do not put the second PCI card in just yet. Make sure your drivers are working properly befor proceeding. I used the 6.08beta drivers (which can be downloaded from Echo's websit under Archives or Legacy. I am not going to go into detail about driver installation, as this is a dependant on whether or not you have intalled it before. Removing the old drivers to make a clean install requires a thourough knowledge of the Windows registry.

2) After you have successfully installed the first card and verified proper opperation of all inputs and outputs, shut down the PC and install the second PCI card into an avilable PCI slot. Since My PC has 4 available slots, I left an empty slot between the two PCI cards just to promote good air flow. This, of coarse is up to you and what your configuration allows.

SIDE NOTE: Thats it! Well sort of... That's it for the hardware/software install, because once you reboot, The card will automatically be recognised and configured as a second layla card in the divice manager of Windows, as wel as by the Layla console software. Simplyclick yes when windows prompts you about new hardware found.
In order for two of these Layla20's to run in harmony with one another, there a few setting in the Layla console software that accompany each sound card. I would suggest doing all of this prior to opening reaper, as rear will crash your PC until you set this up correctly"

3) OK, Now the bells and whistles that make it all work. First, get yourself a 75 ohm RG59 coax or video cable with BNC connectors on each end. you only need one, unless you plan on installing a nother Layla or other devices that must slave/master the Layla. Now, open Layla's console windows, one for each card installed and see which card is which, (either by testing playback, or input gain). Once you know which card is first, Connect the BNC cable from the Wordclock output jack of the first card to the Wordclock input jack of the second card. You must hook up the cable first, or it will not allow you to choose the right settings. Make the first card the MASTER by selecting "INTERNAL" for the clock input AND "SUPERCLOCK OUT" (not word clock)for the wordclock out. Now, in the second card's console. select "SUPER" as the input. The rest of the clock settings, leave as is, for it will not matter what these are set to (unless, you are hooking up additional gear.) Note: if you plan on installing more layla cards, they will all be set up the same manor, in decending order.

4.) Open reaper and select all entire list of inputs (Prefrences>Options>Audio>Device.)Choose ASIO WDM Layla Drivers, not ASIO4all, or any other setting, as it most likely will cause problems. I was able to record 16 tracks while playing 38 tracks out of 20 outputs all at once without so much as a pop or click. this was also while running 34 FX of mostle VST's an a few direct X. All of this on an ols Window 2000 Machine.
You should have 20 inputs and 24 outputs running smoothly.

Last edited by kjwmusic; 05-07-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: add info
kjwmusic is offline   Reply With Quote