Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default 3.73pre3

v3.73pre3 - November 4 2010
+ API: added GetCurrentProjectInLoadSave() for context when loading project-specific extension state
+ SMPTE LTC sync: leave framerate blank to use project framerate setting (default for new projects)
+ Configuration import/export support (ReaperConfigZip) (needs testing and polish!) *note: there is no guarantee the format will stay the same as the feature is refined, so be cautious and don't count on exports you make today necessarily being importable as the pre-cycle continues*
+ Drag and drop of .ReaperThemeZip (or .zip with theme files) files to REAPER's arrange now installs the theme

v3.73pre2 - November 1 2010
+ AU: fixed some AUs going blank when floating/unfloating the window (thanks, Camel Audio)

v3.73pre1 - October 31 2010
+ AU: avoid opening bridges to scan for plug-ins (keep cached copy -- hit F5 in fx browser to force rescan)
+ Theming: fixed stretch configuration for button images
+ Items: show take numbers for items without take names
+ Ripple editing: fixed ripple on first track when pasting/inserting multiple items

Last edited by AdamWathan; 11-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Kundalinguist

AHA! Config. Nice.

Wow. D&D themes, too. Cool.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
zappsunzorn

+ Configuration import/export support (ReaperConfigZip) (needs testing and polish!)

This is awesome, and a surprise I wasn't expecting to see until 4! Any way we can select current or all for the items to export?

+ Drag and drop of .ReaperThemeZip (or .zip with theme files) files to REAPER's arrange now installs the theme

This was another unexpected pleasant surprise!

+ API: added GetCurrentProjectInLoadSave() for context when loading project-specific extension state

Does this have something to do with marker actions staying the same when moved between systems?
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Kundalinguist

Config working, both import and export. OSX Leo. PPC.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
AdamWathan

Really excited about this new feature! Thanks devs for surprising us with this one!

My only qualms with the import/export thing is that it is not really optimized for sharing setups across multiple systems...

The "configuration" option includes all system-specific files and settings that will result in weird and unexpected behavior when imported into another user's computer. We need to have a way to not include system specific files, like the following:

reaper-auplugins.ini
reaper-fxfolders.ini
reaper-fxoptions.ini
reaper-midihw.ini
reaper-prefoff.ini
reaper-prefon.ini
reaper-recentfx.ini
reaper-rewire.ini
reaper-vstfxppath.ini
reaper-vstplugins.ini
reaper-vstplugins64.ini
reaper-vstshells.ini
reaper-vstshells64.ini

When sharing with another user, really you only want to share these:

reaper.ini
reaper-kb.ini
reaper-menu.ini
screensets.ini

... and even in reaper.ini there are certain things that need to not be included for it to work cross-system. This includes specifically path related preferences, preferences that rely on outside files on the drive (default project template, external editors) and things like last selected audio device.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
AdamWathan

Justin asked me to note on his behalf that "you shouldn't rely on saved configurations in 3.73preX working in 3.73+, as the format may change."

So make sure if you are changing configurations and experimenting to keep a backup of your old settings the old way, as there is no guarantee that a ReaperConfigZip file that you export today will be importable in later versions as the feature gets refined.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
zappsunzorn

+line of communication with AdamWathan

Woo Hoo good to hear!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Really excited about this new feature! Thanks devs for surprising us with this one!

My only qualms with the import/export thing is that it is not really optimized for sharing setups across multiple systems...

The "configuration" option includes all system-specific files and settings that will result in weird and unexpected behavior when imported into another user's computer. We need to have a way to not include system specific files, like the following:

reaper-auplugins.ini
reaper-fxfolders.ini
reaper-fxoptions.ini
reaper-midihw.ini
reaper-prefoff.ini
reaper-prefon.ini
reaper-recentfx.ini
reaper-rewire.ini
reaper-vstfxppath.ini
reaper-vstplugins.ini
reaper-vstplugins64.ini
reaper-vstshells.ini
reaper-vstshells64.ini

reaper.ini
reaper-kb.ini
reaper-menu.ini
screensets.ini

... and even in reaper.ini there are certain things that need to not be included for it to work cross-system. This includes specifically path related preferences, preferences that rely on outside files on the drive (default project template, external editors) and things like last selected audio device.
I must agree with this assessment.

Some thoughts on the import/export dialog window:
  • Only the currently used colour theme should be among the configuration by default. A range of checkboxes per theme file(image resources auto-added) may be a good way to go

• Plugin lists are not necessary and will probably get dumped anyway when working on a new system. The 'visited' system is most likely to have its own scanned plugin list in any case. What the plugin lists are good for is for backing up the current working state of plugins scanned. As such they're better to be part of a System Backup kind of ReaConfig, which is much more elaborate than the configurations that as a goal, promote single-account-multiple-users setups.

• Keyboard configs are a two-edged sword. When taking your configuration to another system, you want to leave that system unspoiled by your actions. That means when changing configurations, none of the old files should be left behind, which may be the case if Reaper saves all keyboard configs and macros it finds in a system configuration file. By default I recommend only the current keyboard and toolbar configuration be used.

Please keep in mind that the user expects to be able to use his/her setup instantly after loading such a configuration. Thus a single keyboard config, chosen to be the active one, is a better choice than including them all by default in the config file.

• The export configuration window can't be resized.

• The checkboxes are neat. Organizing the categories in a left pane and the contents of those categories on the right would improve this overview. An "All" category with its own checkbox would give people an overview of all they've chosen to include in the configuration.

That would free up the upper portion of the window for some other things like configuration preset dropdown menus("Airons recording rig", "Adams DrumEditing", etc.), preset buttons for putting together a user-config or full backups of Reapers settings.

• Installing stuff should be selective as well. Do NOT scare people with warnings first, but just before installation happens.

I'd certainly like to know what the config contains and choose to ignore some of the stuff in it at times, such as themes or maybe the keyboard config. You never know.

• Auto-backup the entire configuration and restore changed parts from that backup with a dedicated button. Warn if this backup is overwritten as another user loads his/her config. Ask to save current config in any case. Perhaps even designate a configuration as the default to restore to.

Last edited by airon; 11-05-2010 at 04:01 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

yes indeed, i love the import/export configs

Quote:

reaper.ini
reaper-kb.ini
reaper-menu.ini
screensets.ini
I agree with this, and also think there should be a seperate option for system specific stuff...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
airon

It should be quite interesting to sort out the portable settings of the preferences from the non-portable. Anyone want to make a start ?

Perhaps Reaper does need a device mapping page, to make configurations portable from one hardware interface system to another.

Because if it can't remap audio device I/O, it'll take a bit more work transfering session between Reaper rigs, and you won't be able to include devices in the ReaConfigs. Actually I wouldn't include any device configuration by default as it's probably local to the rig.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
mim

The ReaConfigZip is really great news indeed,

For a perfect usability it should also saves SWS extensions Config files. Maybe during the SWS setup, a file list can be created with all sws related files (customconsolecommands.txt, sws.ini, ....) and this files should be merged with the ReaConfigZip filelist.

Maybe any extension should propose his own filelist to save to reaper ReaConfigZip.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
AdamWathan

It by default automatically includes any file in the resource directory with a .ini extension. I noticed it was even saving renamed versions of my reaper.ini that it doesn't actually use for example, as well as S&M.ini. I believe all of the SWS preferences except the S&M stuff are stored in reaper.ini, just in a subsection at the bottom so that stuff should be fine

Not sure about customconsolecommands.txt, I don't have that file on my computer and have never used ReaConsole so I don't have an answer there.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
Kundalinguist

The list of config files DOES look a little heavy at first glance and should probably be pared down.

Perhaps the other "lesser" .ini files can be grouped into their own misc sector.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'. Knomsayin'?

Also, I'm just testing them. I never rely on pre stuff until its lost its training wheels.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Actually it should be perfectly fine to include the other .ini files (VST, AU, midihw, etc) with the package -- you can freely transfer these between computers, and REAPER should be smart enough to know when settings in them are invalid.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
AdamWathan

So it won't screw up another users FX Favorite Folders that match the plugins they actually have installed on their computer instead of trying to load my plugin list and folders for example?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Actually I wouldn't include any device configuration by default as it's probably local to the rig.
I agree with this. I think the audio device settings should remain on the users computer, or have an option on import not to include audio hardware settings. Other than that, I've tested the new feature between my Windows rig and a Macbook pro, and everything seems ok. Great work.

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Jeffos
Mortal

Thanks!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
REAPER should be smart enough
Confirmed (Win XP SP3)

[edit] just read the entire thread..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappsunzorn View Post
Does this have something to do with marker actions staying the same when moved between systems?
no, this is to rescue some 3rd party devs that were struggeling with PiPs. For the same action markers to work on different systems, you should use -Custom- command Ids, rather than command ids, see the diff & details here.

Last edited by Jeffos; 11-06-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: just read the entire thread..
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
AdamWathan

In regards to transient detection again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Regardless, as I say, it's easy to make it an option to not split at zero crossings, so people can choose which way they prefer to do it.
schwa, any chance we can get this option in this cycle?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Modular

D&D Themes did not work as expected in OSX. I tried to drag in FLATTER theme. It did change the theme but it looked more like the classic reaper theme. Any clues guys?

Last edited by Modular; 11-06-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
D&D Themes did not work as expected in OSX. I tried to drag in FLATTER theme. It did change the theme but it looked more like the classic reaper theme. Any clues guys?
Works here, make sure you have the "Flatter" folder with all of the PNGs in the same folder as Flatter.ReaperTheme and make sure "Allow themes to override default image resources" is checked in the "Theme" preference page.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
Kundalinguist

Isn't it just for ".ReaperThemeZip" files? Worked for me in OSX that way.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #22
AdamWathan

Works for any theme file as long as the associated files are in the right place. So ReaperThemeZips will work because they are entirely self contained, and ReaperThemes will work as long as the image folder is properly named and in the right place.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
planetnine

Quote:

+1

This would also be very much appreciated from myself due to the nature of the batch of work I'm chewing through at the moment. Please Schwa...

Many thanks.

>
Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
Modular

Quote:
Works for any theme file as long as the associated files are in the right place. So ReaperThemeZips will work because they are entirely self contained, and ReaperThemes will work as long as the image folder is properly named and in the right place.
Cheers Adam works a treat now. Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
Shan

Quote:

+1.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
any chance we can get this option in this cycle?
That's lined up for 4.0.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #27
Shan

Quote:
That's lined up for 4.0.
Thanks for the reply on this. We're looking forward to it.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #28
sebas777

Q: How do you access the export/import feature, Sirs ?
I tried looking a) around the theme menu b) in the file menu c) in the configuration window.

Ah ! Thank you zappsunzorn !

Last edited by sebas777; 11-07-2010 at 04:10 AM.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #29
zappsunzorn

Options\preferences\(select "general" from the left) it is on the top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #30
sebas777

Btw how about making the configurations more accessible (a menu similar to the Themes in the main window + keycommands to switch configs [aka ReaperConfigZip aka SuperThemes] )?

And, does the file also include addons like custom menus, extensions, toolbars and screensets ?

(...although screensets could be saved within projects just like in Logic, too)

Last edited by sebas777; 11-07-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #31
planetnine

Quote:
That's lined up for 4.0.
Aww.

Can't wait that long, I'll have to sub this one out

>
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #32
AdamWathan

Quote:
That's lined up for 4.0.
Thanks schwa!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #33
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
Btw how about making the configurations more accessible...
I may back up those configs once every 2 weeks or more, so having them in the menu, to me at least, seems more a cluttering than a convenience.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #34
sebas777

It depends on how you want to use the feature. For me it's the beginning of SuperThemes era:

total GUI flexibility, switching between user interfaces emulating any DAW (or a combination of DAWs) on the fly.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #35
Kundalinguist

There is no empirical scientific data to support the existence of a "SuperTheme." I think this is taking on religious overtones.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
There is no empirical scientific data to support the existence of a "SuperTheme." I think this is taking on religious overtones.
stone the none believer!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29742
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #37
musicbynumbers

Just got this crash on saving, any ideas?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 3.7.2.3
Application Timestamp: 4cd3790d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_67cc
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 7390e2a2
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 67cc
Additional Information 2: 67cc9f35cd32dd67a481b29e68542e37
Additional Information 3: 6c9a
Additional Information 4: 6c9a4229ad19685c07e338c32c586015
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Just got this crash on saving, any ideas?...
Yes, stop using Reaper, immediately.

[just kidding]
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #39
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Yes, stop using Reaper, immediately.

[just kidding]

I would not go that far!

Just stop saveing

Lol
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 AM   #40
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I admire the eastern philosophy inspired approach of you guys.

@musicbynumbers: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...67&postcount=3
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote