Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #41
Midnight
Human being with feelings

Default First Mix

But am not expecting anyone to pull any punches!

All Reaper VSTs except a touch of Aradaz Maximizer on the voice.

Free download => http://aradaz.blogspot.com/2008/06/a...d-version.html

I guess I could/should have done some de-essing. [Edit - and some final level adjustments - sorry]

RPP = > http://www.box.net/shared/vicnz0sbov

MP3 => http://www.box.net/shared/n8j4epgd9h

Last edited by Midnight; 11-15-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #42
PlebianX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagoth1702 View Post
Hold on, so what do you mean exactly? Could you go more into detail?
Thanks!
Well, sticking to the current example of vocals, I used to just put a compressor on them and twist the knobs till I had it 75% there. Never did get the next 25%. This was generally with 1 track throughout a song too.
But instead of hoping a compressor would do all my work, I started to split loud choruses to a separate track, lower anything WAY over the average level, and then maybe use 2 compressors instead of 1 each with a different task. Big difference. Not that I ALWAYS do ALL of that, but you mix and match depending on content.
So now I have an easier starting point for the comps, 1 of which will typically have a long release, low/medium ratio to just even out the perceived level, and a faster one nipping any spikes/peaks in the bud. The slow compressor ignores the peaks because it's not fast enough to care, the fast one has a threshold above what the slow one is working on.

Hope that helps
PlebianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #43
pc999

1+ for the Metal one next, if possible

Quote:
pc999 - the drums dont come through most of the time, the organ and guitars are too loud in my opinion. The vox are nice but too much reverb for my taste. It's too obvious.
I like how you played with the organ & guitars volume to make the whole thing more exicing! Louder, quieter, cool! Just the whole thing feels unfinished. Go give it some more love. Edit the drums a bit, look at my mix, I have a nice kickdrum solution there.

I almost ditched the drums at all , but that is mostly because I dont feel like this kind of music need drums at all. I almost just keep them because I though it would be rude to cut them.

BTW what do you mean by feel unfinished?

That version 3 of your mix is quite good IMO, sometimes I even like the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlebianX View Post
Well, sticking to the current example of vocals, I used to just put a compressor on them and twist the knobs till I had it 75% there. Never did get the next 25%. This was generally with 1 track throughout a song too.
But instead of hoping a compressor would do all my work, I started to split loud choruses to a separate track, lower anything WAY over the average level, and then maybe use 2 compressors instead of 1 each with a different task. Big difference. Not that I ALWAYS do ALL of that, but you mix and match depending on content.
So now I have an easier starting point for the comps, 1 of which will typically have a long release, low/medium ratio to just even out the perceived level, and a faster one nipping any spikes/peaks in the bud. The slow compressor ignores the peaks because it's not fast enough to care, the fast one has a threshold above what the slow one is working on.

Hope that helps

That is quite interesting, it will go to my list of things to try...

Maybe I will go with a v2 too.
________
Naykee live

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:53 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #44
Midnight

Default Questions for Nafquo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafquo View Post
I've edited quite a lot and changed the arrangement on a few places...
Great mix and very interesting project structure.

In case it isn't obvious from my upload, I'm an aurally-challenged rank beginner. Please let me know the answers to these quick questions:

1. How did you do the bass pitch correction at 22.4.00?

2. What is the JS Custom Router and where can I get it?

3. On track 19 and the first instance of ReDelay, what is driving the volume cycling? I can't find an envelope.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #45
doppelgangster

Default Amateurish mix no 2

--

Last edited by doppelgangster; 02-16-2024 at 06:09 AM. Reason: New version updated 16.dec 2010
doppelgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Megagoth1702

Quote:

Hope that helps
You genius! Thanks, that will help a lot on the next mix, I will try that out! Definatively makes a lot of sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
I almost ditched the drums at all , but that is mostly because I dont feel like this kind of music need drums at all. I almost just keep them because I though it would be rude to cut them.

BTW what do you mean by feel unfinished?

That version 3 of your mix is quite good IMO, sometimes I even like the drums.

Maybe I will go with a v2 too.
I am a drummer, I would never ditch the drums, hahaha. Nearly got a heart-attack not hearing them, after having spent so much time trying to make mine sound ok.
I actually was thinking about not mixing this song because of the dirty drum track but decided to give it a shot.

By "unfinished" I mean that it feels that way to me, as I said before I can not really say whats wrong. I'll listen to it right now again...

Ok. What I hear:
the reverb on the vocals is too agressive, you can hear the room respond too much sometimes ("it's the first", the "my breath dissappear") and because REAPER came with a very basic but metallic-sounding crappy reverb Impulse Response it does not sound good.
Here's a good video on vocal reverbs, I tried to use that technique:
Oxford Reverb on Vocals

Another thing - the panning is nice, but maybe a tad bit too much and obvious?

It's a personal thing I think, but I do not like stuff to be obvious if it's not intented. And I dont think that this song wanted that.

2:30 - why did you take the power out of the mix? This is the song's highest most important pointe and you take out the power, maybe to make the drums and vocals stand out? But thats not the right way - the mix feels too empty and when the stuff comes back in, it's again too obvious. Does not feel natural to me.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. They are based on my personal feel. (This is the last time I said this, since everybody wants honest feedback.)
Megagoth1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #47
MusicienGuitariste

Default My Mix

Hi everyone

I'd try to do something with this unmixables tracks :

http://music.files.free.fr/FictionMe...Guitariste.mp3

Little mix done in ten minutes lol

MusicienGuitariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #48
Megagoth1702

Quote:

Hope that helps
Oh wow...

I just took my time to split the whole vocal line into a lot of chunks for normalization, put 2 compressors on it.

A slow one (attack around 415ms, release 100, low/medium ratio) and a fast one (attack 0ms, pre-comp 1ms, release 50ms, high ratio).
And it makes exactly what you described!

After rendering the whole thing I end up with a (compared to the horrible original file) extremely even and good sounding vocal line! This makes the vocals so much better!

Thank you a lot! A real aha-moment, haha!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #49
pc999

I did a second version, from the start, lots of side compression and heavier on fxs, again made only with ReaPlugs and JS ones.

This one is mostly for my own experiments, take it as that please.

http://soundcloud.com/pc999/fiction-...2-mix-by-pc999

Quote:
You genius! Thanks, that will help a lot on the next mix, I will try that out! Definatively makes a lot of sense!

I am a drummer, I would never ditch the drums, hahaha. Nearly got a heart-attack not hearing them, after having spent so much time trying to make mine sound ok.
I actually was thinking about not mixing this song because of the dirty drum track but decided to give it a shot.

By "unfinished" I mean that it feels that way to me, as I said before I can not really say whats wrong. I'll listen to it right now again...

Ok. What I hear:
the reverb on the vocals is too agressive, you can hear the room respond too much sometimes ("it's the first", the "my breath dissappear") and because REAPER came with a very basic but metallic-sounding crappy reverb Impulse Response it does not sound good.
Here's a good video on vocal reverbs, I tried to use that technique:
Oxford Reverb on Vocals

Another thing - the panning is nice, but maybe a tad bit too much and obvious?

It's a personal thing I think, but I do not like stuff to be obvious if it's not intented. And I dont think that this song wanted that.

2:30 - why did you take the power out of the mix? This is the song's highest most important pointe and you take out the power, maybe to make the drums and vocals stand out? But thats not the right way - the mix feels too empty and when the stuff comes back in, it's again too obvious. Does not feel natural to me.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. They are based on my personal feel. (This is the last time I said this, since everybody wants honest feedback.)
First, if you are a drummer DO NOT listen to my V2 .

Second, thank you very much for the time to comment my mix, I must confess haven't been listening to the mixes in such a critical and analytical way (in this case the critical and analytical is a compliment).

And while somethings are indeed a question of taste (eg the panning) somethings are quite good that you brought them to my attention (eg I run a a deesser in my V2, actually the only thing I saw in time to enter in it).

About being too obvious, personally I think it is a little bit "songs fault".

Thanks again to you all I have been learning a lot.
________
PAXIL LAWSUIT
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Fiction mets the truth v2.RPP (29.6 KB, 229 views)

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #50
pc999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicienGuitariste View Post
Hi everyone

I'd try to do something with this unmixables tracks :

http://music.files.free.fr/FictionMe...Guitariste.mp3

Little mix done in ten minutes lol

LOL.

Not unmixable, challenging. Still a nice song.

I like your drums.
________
IOLITE VAPORIZERS REVIEWS

Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #51
Megagoth1702

I am going to bed now, but as I see you are having fun with all the fancy effects, thats nice!

@De-essing: Never found out how to do that, the stuff I read on wiki is confusing, I just tried to look for certain frequencies and cut them down. It would be better to have an EQ that enables itself when there is such a "phrase" with a lot of "ESS", tones the sound down and after a few miliseconds disables itself again.

"Better" is the worst enemy of "good" and they are close neighbours, I cant stop working on that song. :-D
But I am happier with the vocals now. Although I must say that my normalization experiments cost me a little bit of balance and dynamics, but that's for the next mix.

MP3 Mixdown
RPP File (Useless for vocals, I rendered a track to a stem, dammit... Sorry.)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #52
pipelineaudio
Mortal

DEATH from Friction!

I'd way rather talk about performance than after performance mixing. The recording is REALLY good!

One thing you can see, as in lots of drummers, is that fills mess him up.

I did a shitload of edits on this thing and havent yet scratched the surface.

All that said, I took some artistic liberties and made a few changes

All of these are free or included plugins

Song:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/438060/...m-friction.mp3

rpp:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/438061/fiction.RPP

If anyone knows how to box this up, and want's to bother after hearing it, be my guest
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #53
Reno.thestraws

On the raw tracks, the bass is false a the end of the chorus... it play on its key but make some weird scale with others instruments

it isn't obvious because there's 2 octaves between the base and the rest but if you pitch it up to make a distorded guitar pipelineaudio, it's completly false.

don't you hear it?

good mix by the way

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 11-17-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Reno.thestraws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #54
pipelineaudio
Mortal

You mean out of key?

I figure a lot of the end notes would be better by just stretching one of the good ones, but I didn't bother
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #55
Reno.thestraws

no, bass play on its key but make some weird scales with other instruments
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #56
Midnight

Default Splitting the Vocal Line

Quote:
I just took my time to split the whole vocal line into a lot of chunks for normalization, put 2 compressors on it.
How did you split the vocal line? Is this done by sending it to two different tracks or just one and cutting the original level to the Master, or something else? I'd like to hear what you're so excited about.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #57
Schmidty

Ok, Business first. Here's my mix, and RPP File:

mp3
RPP

I took some advice from some of the comments and re-did the arrangement a little (mainly just brought the drums and bass in later, and cut the organ for all but one verse and the bridge). I agree that the origional arrangement was somewhat stagnant.

This was part of a project with a friend who lives out of town, so when he comes into town it's a frenzied rush to lay down as many tracks as possible while drinking heavily (hence the pitchy and slurred vox track). As for the parts I did my self (drums and Bass) all I can say is that these drum tracks were the first tracks I did in a new space with new mics (so I was still ironing the kinks out on mic placement), and I was using cubase at the time and couldn't explode takes into lanes, so I was trying to get a single take that worked through the whole song, while improvising the part. The bass was played by ear/using a tuner plugin on the guitar track to decipher the chords, and I'm not a great bass player. All in all, I knew there were some seriouse issues with these tracks (that's part of the reason I suggested using them), but I think by the time I got the the editing phase I'd heard them wrong so many times they were starting to sound right.

All of that "being a defensive whiney brat" stuff aside, I am going to go back and re-record the drums and bass now that I've figured out my space, and this song a little better.

Thanks for the input.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #58
PlebianX

Quote:
@De-essing: Never found out how to do that...
Another great chance to divide and conquer! If a de-esser or regular EQ ain't working, cut s and t sounds to a new track, and EQ harder. Or if they're _almost_ working except the effects, have a separate track _WITHOUT_ s and t which you feed to any reverb/delay instead of the original, with 100% wet. Raise that track till happy.

If fixing something with one tool is hard, then your probably well off using two or more.
PlebianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #59
Wolffman

I,m a bit late for this one , but i finaly had some time to do a mix.
Can't say i'm totaly happy with this mix but i don't have any more time to spare.
Definatly a bigger challenge than the last session

mp3 http://www.box.net/shared/y09uaay19e
rpp http://www.box.net/shared/h33133ngp0

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #60
pc999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
I,m a bit late for this one , but i finaly had some time to do a mix.
Can't say i'm totaly happy with this mix but i don't have any more time to spare.
Definatly a bigger challenge than the last session

mp3 http://www.box.net/shared/y09uaay19e
rpp http://www.box.net/shared/h33133ngp0

Cheers

Good job.

Personally I hope they keep coming each time more challenging.
________
Avandia injury lawyer

Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #61
pc999

Quote:
I am going to bed now, but as I see you are having fun with all the fancy effects, thats nice!

@De-essing: Never found out how to do that, the stuff I read on wiki is confusing, I just tried to look for certain frequencies and cut them down. It would be better to have an EQ that enables itself when there is such a "phrase" with a lot of "ESS", tones the sound down and after a few miliseconds disables itself again.

I love fx!

Now there is dedicated deeser fx (there is a nice one in JS, the one I used) but I think that in the past they used a compressor only in the specific frequency that caused the sss, so they only acted when it is too much, but other wise the eq would unchanged.
________
Big Tits Webcams

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #62
doppelgangster

--

Last edited by doppelgangster; 02-16-2024 at 06:09 AM.
doppelgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #63
Schmidty

Wolfman, I have to say, I love your work. I hope you don't mind if I dissect your mix a little and try to emulate your style.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #64
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Wolfman, I have to say, I love your work.
Thankyou so much for the encouraging words, i'm stoked that you like it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I hope you don't mind if I dissect your mix a little and try to emulate your style.
Style

Please do, after all, the whole purpose of these threads is learn new ideas and techniques from each other.

Personally i have made a point of using only the cockos & JS plugins for two reasons.
1: Simplicity, everyone using REAPER already has them and can load the .rpp straight up.
2: I need to learn more about the bundled plugins ( theres so many of them ) as i'm sure i'm not using any of the REAPER plugins to their full potential.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #65
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
ok here's the rpp file -> http://www.4shared.com/file/8_gImSW8...the_truth.html

you need this free plug-in -> http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

and in the reaverb you need to put this impulse file -> http://www.4shared.com/audio/JsUDaM_...soft_room.html

the rest are reaper plug-in

(I rendered the vocal after tuning them... so you don't get the tuning process in the rpp, sorry)
Reno.thestraws -- Do you have the files somewhere else that doesn't require registration or signing up? I really like the sound of your mix and would LOVE to see the session and get that impulse. Thanks!
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #66
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
Reno.thestraws -- Do you have the files somewhere else that doesn't require registration or signing up? I really like the sound of your mix and would LOVE to see the session and get that impulse. Thanks!
you don't have to sign up or register to download the files from his links.
just click the blue "download now" button and then another page loads up with a timer.
once the 20 second timer finishes a blue link appears that says "download now."
click that and your download should start.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #67
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Please do, after all, the whole purpose of these threads is learn new ideas and techniques from each other.

Personally i have made a point of using only the cockos & JS plugins for two reasons.
1: Simplicity, everyone using REAPER already has them and can load the .rpp straight up.
2: I need to learn more about the bundled plugins ( theres so many of them ) as i'm sure i'm not using any of the REAPER plugins to their full potential.
everything you just said right there is exactly the whole point of all these mix threads.

and your RPP file is one that I really look forward to examining and learning from.
really great mix!

seriously man, thank you so much for participating!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #68
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
you don't have to sign up or register to download the files from his links.
just click the blue "download now" button and then another page loads up with a timer.
once the 20 second timer finishes a blue link appears that says "download now."
click that and your download should start.
Got 'em. Thanks!!
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #69
slops

ok, i finally uploaded my mix for this song. been trying to work on it on and off for the last couple days. i went for a pretty simple, standard mix on this one. nothing too crazy.

mixdown
session

like some other people already mentioned the bass notes at the end of the chorus are in the right key but don't exactly fit. i rearranged the order of two of the notes and pitched the other odd sounding note and it seemed to work much better. arrangement wise i chopped the breaks in between verses in half. for the drums i was really tempted to sit down and edit them up real nice and tight but had no time to do it unfortunately.

working with these stems makes me feel like i really focused on controlling each of the elements in the song and worked hard to get a final result i was happy with. the stems in the last mix thread were too clean and perfect right from the start. i feel like i learned alot more from this thread. also hearing some of the mixes in here impressed me way more in comparison to the last thread.

great song overall too.
i never got sick of hearing it over and over while working on this.

...thanks again for providing these stems schmidty!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #70
Toft

Well this one took me rather longer than the last one, as I think everyone found.

I am looking forward to hearing other mixes, now that I've had a go at it.

Here's what I ended up with. All Cockos but with one IR just to give the voice a bit of body. (I'll be interested to see what alternatives there are for that issue).

Reaper file is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1031794...0Toft%20v3.zip

MP3 is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1031795...0Toft%20v3.mp3
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #71
pc999

It is cool that the mixs keep coming.
________
Bubbler

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #72
catalin

Hello guys !
It's time for me to post my first mix ever. I will not post the RPP file because i used all kind of plugins because i want to learn how to use them so the RPP file will be irelevant. I am not happy at all with the result but i want to learn more.
For now i don't have a program to convert wav to mp3 so i have to upload the wav file. So if you have the patience to download the file(78Mb) please take a listen.
Anyway this practice ideea is very very good so thanks for uploading these songs and keep them coming !
Cheers !
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15281501/Fic...he%20truth.wav -this is the song. I hope the links is working
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #73
Megagoth1702

@Catalin:

I like your mix, it is soft and warm. The vocals stand out a lot, since they are the only clear thing in the mix. Adjust the level there.

Download lame.dll or lame64, depending on your system/reaper version and put it into your REAPER folder.
Now you can encode into mp3.

Try to stick with reaper plugins for now, I am sure that you do not need 95% of your plugins to make a good mix. Also we can see what you did and learn from that. If we work in the same "world" things are much easier and as we see above we have people delivering excellent mixes with reaper-only.

But since you are learning your stuff - what exactly are you using and what for?

At last - here's your mix in mp3.
box.net
Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #74
slops

Quote:
At last - here's your mix in mp3.
box.net
thanks for reupping it on box.net.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #75
Toft

I've had a chance to listen to some other mixes now - I really look forward to that bit, and find it intriguing.

I realized that my vox are about 1-2dB too low, and that I should have done what a few others did and kept the arrangement sparse for the first verse.

I haven't looked at all of them yet, but here are a few comments and questions:

Wolfmann: I really liked your intro - I think you got one of the best guitar sounds (with no fancy tricks). I wasn't so keen on the organ which I found a little surging from time to time, but I liked the space in your vox, and overall this was one of my favourites.

Pipeline: No doubt the best OHs of the bunch, but it sounds like you were offended by his snare technique - pretty tough gating there! And the bass! You're crazy man! Still, it's definitely a novel take on the piece.

Megagoth: I found the drums dominating, with the vocals and guitars a bit lost. I was also not too sure about the snare sound which I found a bit toppy/hashy for my taste. I wonder whether the vocal EQs might have been more effective with a couple of cuts rather than boosts all over, though this is a 'on general prinicipals' thing rather than any criticism of what you ended up with.

slops: I liked the intro except I found the OHs distracting. The vocals were very dominant, I wonder whether you really needed to use the "automakeup" on ReaComp for this track - I usually find that it does too much. I liked your bass note replacements and the pre-bridge arrangement.

localh0st: I liked the drums, but I didn't understand why you hit the phase button for the kick - was there a problem there? I also didn't quite understand the first ReaComp settings on vocals - it looked like a brickwall limiter, but I wasn't sure why you put it first? The overall mix I liked except you left all the instrumental 'issues' of timing and pitch unfixed.

Schmidty: I found the vocals a bit over-delayed, especially on headphones, but even on monitors there were a few essy echoes that were a bit distracting. Big kudos for putting your stems out. Maybe one day I'll have the guts to let the world criticize my bass playing, but not yet!

I felt I had to automate the bass a lot, because I couldn't get any punch out of it (especially those low notes, which start strong and never die). If anyone can explain how to get a compressor to deal with that lack of dynamics I'd appreciate it (I'm too lazy to do all those mouse clicks!).
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #76
l0calh05t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toft View Post
localh0st: I liked the drums, but I didn't understand why you hit the phase button for the kick - was there a problem there? I also didn't quite understand the first ReaComp settings on vocals - it looked like a brickwall limiter, but I wasn't sure why you put it first? The overall mix I liked except you left all the instrumental 'issues' of timing and pitch unfixed.
I aligned the snare and kick signals to improve punch on the drums, but the kick drum was shifted and inverted compared to the overhead signal. So I inverted the track's phase.
If you look at that "brickwall" limiter, check out the rms, attack and release durations. It's primarily there to level out large scale differences (which could have been done with fader riding, but I thought it try it in a different way. just experimenting)

I left the timing and pitch issues unfixed because... well, there were just too many, and I didn't want to invest that much time.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #77
Megagoth1702

Thanks for the comment!

I certainly will do more cuts than boosts in my later mixes, thats something I learned after submitting this.

Quote:
If anyone can explain how to get a compressor to deal with that lack of dynamics I'd appreciate it (I'm too lazy to do all those mouse clicks!).
A compressor does not deal with a LACK of dynamics, in the end you end up with less dynamics, than before. It squashes the top peaks closer to the low peaks and then you raise the whole thing and you end up with less dynamics. Thats how I understand it.

How exactly do you want the bass to be? I found that having a steady bass line is better for having that "basement" of sound for the song.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #78
catalin

Hello !

Hey Megagoth thanks alot for the advices. Now i'm able to render in mp3 format :-). I have 2 new versions
This is the link.
http://www.box.net/shared/iei1phbp3j var2 seems to be a little harsh
http://www.box.net/shared/uid3vt6hrx var3
Any comment is welcome.

Last edited by catalin; 11-21-2010 at 02:05 PM.
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #79
Lawrence

Quick Desktop Mix

I replaced the drums with EZ Drummer. Kinda fun to play around with but I know I'm not hearing everything I'd hear on my DynAudio speakers... especially with the vox.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #80
Megagoth1702

Guys, box.net, its not that hard.