Old 03-01-2024, 04:05 AM   #1
heda
Human being with feelings

Default HeDa Panel v0.6.1 (2024-03-18) pre-release

Install with one click using the HeDaScripts Manager

This script creates panels or toolbars, where you can design your own set of buttons that run REAPER actions. It can be used docked as a toolbar, or floating as a larger window panel.

The idea started as a replacement for Track Inspector Custom buttons. But it has evolved into its own script now. It can be docked next to TI, but those panels saved, will be available as panels inside Track Inspector. Another use is to be used as floating toolbar that opens next to the mouse cursor, or even to replace some of the native toolbars. I tried to make it easier to design your toolbar without the limitations of current REAPER toolbars.
The first time you open, it will open a blank unsaved panel. Right click to start editing it adding buttons and dragging them into position, setting their properties, actions, text, color, images. Then you can Export/Save the panel as, to a file. It automatically creates an action to run that panel.

a few example screenshots:

Of course, the first panel I had to do was a HeDaScripts launcher.

or this one too as a toolbar

I'm doing a panel to show the Track Inspector Tag actions as big buttons for easy use

here I created an automation panel test while testing the toolbar buttons browser.

There may be a few bugs, still a pre-release. Let me know if you find something wrong! Let me know what you think. Thanks

original post:
HeDa ***** (new script 2024-03-01)
Announcing a new script today. I need to polishing a few things, testing if it works on windows, and making some screenshots for the post. I create the post to get the address to include a link to the forum from the script menu. subscribe and come back later if you are interested
Attached Images
File Type: png HeDaPanel_example2.png (77.7 KB, 907 views)
File Type: png HeDaPanel_example3.png (31.4 KB, 887 views)
File Type: png HeDaPanel_example4.png (39.0 KB, 889 views)
File Type: png HeDaPanel(resized).png (48.5 KB, 890 views)
File Type: png HeDaPanel_example.png (29.9 KB, 880 views)

Last edited by heda; Yesterday at 09:02 AM.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:05 AM   #2
heda

(reserved for files and screenshots)
Old 03-01-2024, 04:09 AM   #3
X-Raym

Quote:
HeDa *****
Now I imagine a script to generate insults 🤣

(subscribed).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:09 AM   #4
smandrap

[HEDACTED]
Old 03-01-2024, 01:02 PM   #5
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Now I imagine a script to generate insults 🤣

(subscribed).
I can see it.. depending on the music that is being produced in REAPER, it can start insulting you or not...LOL HeDa @!#%$&*
I updated the post.. it is out. for VIP pre-release for now.
I need to do a video to show the editor. that's the hard part.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM   #6
heda

Default v0.3.0 (2024-03-01)

changelog
* v0.3.0 (2024-03-01)
+ Many bug fixes and cleaning some glitches, ready for first pre-release to VIP
+ Add Toolbar button: browse icons in Data/toolbar-icons folder and click to insert them as a button

* v0.2.0 (2024-02-27)
+ Settings: Frameless window.
+ Settings: Opacity. Make the window semitransparent.
+ Settings: Open at mouse cursor. If not docked, it floats the window where the mouse is. usseful for quick toolbar access.
+ Settings: Autostart option for each panel.

* v0.1.0 (2024-02-26)
+ Script to create panels with buttons that can be used to run actions
+ Add Button. If you click somewhere first, the button is placed there, otherwise, the buton is placed next to the last button added. If you select a button first, the butotn is placed next to that button.
+ Add Group. Group moves all buttons that are inside them. Ctrl+drag to move independently.
+ Copy/Paste: or CTRL+C and CTRL+V. Select oneor more buttons. Copy, and then put the mouse over the direction you want to paste and CTRL+V. Or click somewhere and Paste and it will be placed where you clicked.
+ Load/Save panels. When saving a panel as, it creates a .panel file in your settings folder and a REAPER action to use that panel directly.
+ Dock/Undock. Use the panel as a docked toolbar or as a floating window.
+ Zoom. Changes the scale of all the panel buttons. also Mouse wheel whiel in edit mode.
+ Snap to other buttons. Drag from the corner you want to snap to another touching button's edge
+ Snap to all. Or SHIFT+Drag if not enabled. Find edged of other buttons to snap to even if they are not touching
+ Snap to grid, grid width and height setting.
+ Snap to custom lines. Enter numbers separated by space for the horizontal and vertical lines. Negative numbers align to the right and bottom
Old 03-01-2024, 02:40 PM   #7
DaniloVillanova

Thanks Heda, looking great so far!

When using text buttons horizontally (side by side), it's impossible to make the gaps between them equal in size. There's always some small difference... no biggie!
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:52 PM   #8
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniloVillanova View Post
Thanks Heda, looking great so far!

When using text buttons horizontally (side by side), it's impossible to make the gaps between them equal in size. There's always some small difference... no biggie!
Thanks.
If all buttons are the same width, you could set the grid size to the button grid + gap. That would help setting the position leaving gaps.

Or. You could put them without gap and the select and move with the arrow keys on the keyboard. That moves them by 1 pixel each time. I think it would be a good idea to add a setting for that to be able to move them by X pixels.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:21 AM   #9
DaniloVillanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Thanks.
If all buttons are the same width, you could set the grid size to the button grid + gap. That would help setting the position leaving gaps.

Or. You could put them without gap and the select and move with the arrow keys on the keyboard. That moves them by 1 pixel each time. I think it would be a good idea to add a setting for that to be able to move them by X pixels.
Thanks, that did it!
Old 03-02-2024, 06:33 AM   #10
Sumalc

Thank you Heda for this new script.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 PM   #11
DaniloVillanova

I got a "small" feature request. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, so feel free to ignore me and scoff at my insolence...

But could it be possible to add faders/knobs to the panels? The main reason would be to have a track delay offset control like in Track Inspector, but could also be applied to other REAPER functions that would make sense to control with a knob/fader like pitch, etc.

REAPER toolbars are just so rudimentary and I'm not confident they will be improving soon.

Para su consideración
Old 03-03-2024, 04:58 AM   #12
heda

Thanks @Sumalc
@Danilo, maybe for next versions. That could open a new rabbit hole. Thanks for the request. for now until v1.0 I will focus on just buttons that run actions. I need to add modifiers, like clicking with right button, or shift+clicking etc... I'm adding margin and gaps for easier positioning with gaps between them.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:21 AM   #13
DaniloVillanova

Cool! It's already replaced my main toolbar on top
Old 03-03-2024, 01:16 PM   #14
Reflected

Very cool Heda!

1. Can we "keep panel open" after clicking a button ? EDIT - nvm just so that there is a switch "exit on action" that was turned on.

2. The group background color has side effects? I choose blue color and it gives brown color etc. (?)

Last edited by Reflected; 03-03-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:47 PM   #15
vsthem

This looks great! Is it possible to run multiple instances of this? Or, is there a way to

Have a wide panel on one screen set, to sit below the video screen when I'm working with video

And have a long, narrow panel to go along the left side of the TCP when I'm not working with video

Always love your scripts!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:11 PM   #16
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Very cool Heda!

1. Can we "keep panel open" after clicking a button ? EDIT - nvm just so that there is a switch "exit on action" that was turned on.

2. The group background color has side effects? I choose blue color and it gives brown color etc. (?)
1. ah yes.. it's on by default, It is a setting per button. But you could select all buttons and change it to off if needed.

2. oh. Are you using windows? I forgot to test colors on Windows. It works differently on each OS. thanks for the report.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:14 PM   #17
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthem View Post
This looks great! Is it possible to run multiple instances of this? Or, is there a way to

Have a wide panel on one screen set, to sit below the video screen when I'm working with video

And have a long, narrow panel to go along the left side of the TCP when I'm not working with video

Always love your scripts!
Thank you!
Sure. When you click Save as... to save the panel, you give it a name and it creates the .panel file and also a REAPER action with the name of the panel to run that instance. So you can have as many instances as you want. When you run the instance with its own action, if you edit it, it is automatically saved on that .panel file. no need to save ass again to make changes.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:46 PM   #18
Alez156

Just spent a bit trying it out! I very much love the customization experience. Really cool to see the lines for the docking margin so I can set all my sizes around that. Love to be able to snap to things. Everything is super intuitive so far! Congratulations

Now I gotta spend some time into building this thing haha. I want to be able to load a bunch of track templates each color coded and in a nice long list on the left side of my tracks.

This works very well with this pop-up script by Reno.thestraws → https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....07#post2764307

Old 03-04-2024, 03:25 AM   #19
heda

thank you @Alez156
I'm still fixing some things in snapping, and resizing things.
I got an idea watching your gif.

edit.. oh wait... I have just read that thread. it automatically opens and closes it based on the mouse position? That's cool I didn't realize that in the gif. Maybe an option to make right clicking override the Exit on action toggle. So you could have all buttons with exit on action off, and if right clicking, it would exit. or viceversa. in order to show the menu to enter edit mode, This would use the right click and would not show the menu to enter edit mode, but we can use CTRL+right click for that then.

Last edited by heda; 03-04-2024 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 AM   #20
Alez156

I still think that idea is clever!

I have another idea if it's possible:
The ability to import "ReaperMenuSet" files. This way I can just import one of my toolbars without having to setup one by one.

Also so thankful that you can marquee drag and select bunch of buttons and edit all of them all at once. Very good!!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:19 AM   #21
Alez156

Question:

In the screenshot of your first post, you have this

Is this a way to go through different groups? How can I set that up?
It would be cool to categorize by instruments and go to the next/previous group. And maybe middle can be a dropdown to select current group.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:46 AM   #22
heda

ah those arrows were just me testing the "Add toolbarbutton" inserting two arrows. I need a better screenshot
right now groups only make the buttons inside them to move along with the group. it would be nice to have buttons be able to toggle visibility of groups and hiding the rest of the groups. But I need to think how to do it well. and how to edit them so I need a way to toggle editing visibility of groups too while edit mode.
Maybe it is easier to just make buttons able to load a complete new panel file, like in the Load panel function in the main menu.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:19 AM   #23
heda

I've looked into importing reapermenu file and I think it is relatively easy. That's a great idea. Then it would be just a matter of repositioning them and configuring the size and style as you like
Old 03-04-2024, 08:07 AM   #24
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I've looked into importing reapermenu file and I think it is relatively easy. That's a great idea. Then it would be just a matter of repositioning them and configuring the size and style as you like
Perfect! yes that will make it more straight forward to setup if you can migrate your toolbars to it
Old 03-04-2024, 01:03 PM   #25
heda

I almost have the toolbar iport ready. It seems there are some buttons that don't store the icon in the reapermenu file.. hmmm .. maybe they are default commands.

for now here is a gif of a new margin property also coming in next version. also new things CTRL+D to duplicate. it duplicates in the direction of the mouse cursor. and CTRL+A Select all.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:25 PM   #26
DaniloVillanova

Nice!
Old 03-04-2024, 01:35 PM   #27
lolol

Very good script Heda

my OS is windows 11, the panel "Background color" is ok but buttons colors have problem. it doesn't display the color we choose.

An other problem
I have created a button play with action "transport: play", i set "background color On" on blue.
When I click the play button, everything is fine, the color of the button changes.
But when i use the keyboard shortcut, the "background color On" doesn't update.

Thank you Heda
Old 03-05-2024, 04:35 AM   #28
heda

thanks for reporting the bugs. Both should be fixed now

release update v0.4

here is the changelog:

* v0.4.0 (2024-03-05)
# fix Windows colors
# fix update toggled status on external actions and on play/stop
+ Undo CTRL+Z
+ Duplicate Selected: CTRL + D. it duplicates in the direction to the mouse cursor.
+ Select All: CTRL + A
+ Paste Size: SHIFT + CTRL+V to change size of selected object to the size of copied object.
+ Button margin property. It doesn't change the size of the button but adds visually an internal margin
+ Button tooltip property.
+ Setting: Arrow keys move by. Specify the amount of pixels to move when using the arrow keys.
+ Setting: SHIFT+Arrow keys move by. Specify the amount of pixels to move when using the SHiFT+arrow keys.
+ x gap and y gap if multiple selected to distribute positions with a gap
+ Menu: Open panels folder in file manager
# fix resetting some fields by right clicking on the edit box entering a blank value.
# improved snapping
# many bug fixes here and there
Old 03-05-2024, 04:55 AM   #29
heda

some tips I'm collecting that I'll include in the guide

TIPS:
  • in edit mode, double click a button to edit its text quicker
  • if you select multiple buttons, changing a property will affect to all of them
  • Right click on edit boxes to remove the value. For example to remove the Button Text or to reset font size to default etc...
  • Right click in image file edit box to remove the image
  • middle button drag to pan the surface area around
  • select one button, then click Add Button. It copies the size of the selected button
  • CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste only the size of copied button into the selected button
  • a button object without action assigned to it, without border, and with an image, and a group number assigned, can be used as an image background object, for example for a texture background.
  • CTRL+Mouse wheel over the edit control panel, to change the size of the UI
Old 03-05-2024, 11:15 AM   #30
lolol

Good update, well done Heda.
All is ok now.

Future buttons options
----------------------

It exist "background color" and "background color on" and it will very great if you can add "text color on".

And too, 2 lines text on Button.

Thank you very much
Old 03-05-2024, 12:27 PM   #31
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolol View Post
Good update, well done Heda.
All is ok now.

Future buttons options
----------------------

It exist "background color" and "background color on" and it will very great if you can add "text color on".

And too, 2 lines text on Button.

Thank you very much
you are right that I forgot Text Color On. I'll add it.
You can split text in lines by entering \n in the text where you want the split. But also, I will do autowrap text as needed too.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:54 PM   #32
lolol

thank you heda

\n works fine
Old 03-05-2024, 03:16 PM   #33
lolol

Strange bug, the action name is different of the command id.

Example
-------
i have a cycle action named
Custom ACycle: toggle Mute Percus by name 60
_S&M_CYCLACTION_48

In Panel I set action on the Percu button and i select Custom ACycle: lolo_Track toggle Mute Percus by name 60.
In panel I can see
Custom ACycle: toggle Mute Percus by name 60
_S&M_CYCLACTION_48

But later, the percu button, display
Custom ACycle: toggle Mute choir by name 70
_S&M_CYCLACTION_48

The idcommand is ok but not the action name and then that doesn't work
Old 03-05-2024, 04:42 PM   #34
heda

I don't know what could be, the action should not change.. could it be that you have two buttons in the same position or something?
can you determine when is it changed? after restarting the script?
Old 03-06-2024, 03:20 PM   #35
jguitarguy27

I love this script and look forward to seeing it mature!
Just wanted to report some clipping on the right side going on for me. Windows 11.
Attached Images
File Type: png bug.png (21.2 KB, 19 views)
jguitarguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:44 PM   #36
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguitarguy27 View Post
I love this script and look forward to seeing it mature!
Just wanted to report some clipping on the right side going on for me. Windows 11.
ah thanks. I don't see it that way in my system. I may have to make it variable width. CTRL+mouse wheel over the edit panel with the window active, should change the scale of everything so I guess it would not help with the clipping. I'll make the width of it configurable.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:14 AM   #37
daounandout

Heda man....... you're a genius, thanks for this!!

I'm hoping this will replace my whole touchscreen interface. It's been a real pain dealing with the layout of the built-in floating toolbars.
daounandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:17 AM   #38
heda

thanks. I'm looking forward to see it

here is an update.
Thanks to @Alez156 for the ideas:
  • Import toolbars is a bit experimental. It may or may not work. I haven't tested with all toolbars.
  • Visibility of groups can be toggled now from other buttons special commands as explained in the changelog.
    here is a bad example:

v0.5.0 (2024-03-07)
+ Menu: Import .ReaperMenu files from exported toolbars.
+ Groups and Buttons visibility support.
+ Special Commands:
- isolate(groupname) makes the group visible and hides the rest of groups
- toggle(groupname) toggles group visibility
- show(groupname) show group
- hide(groupname) hide Group
- exit() close the script.
you can combine them, for example: isolate(1) show(3)
group names can be names too, not only numbers.
+ Option to never exit on action when docked even if the button is set to exit on action.
+ Attribute Text Color On: color to use for the text when the action is toggled On.
+ Drag edge of edit panel controls to resize it.
# fix zoom with margin attribute and images with image factor > 0
# more snapping improvements, when using Shift key, it overrides to use snap to all objects mode and not snap to toucning mode.
# bug fixes
Old 03-07-2024, 10:14 AM   #39
lolol

Very good update, i have tested the special command toggle, it works fine.

Problem with the color text.
With a button without action."text color" works fine.
With a button with an action "Text color on" works and "text color" doesn't work, the color is always white.

Problem too with "edit text color" on button right clic, it is not the same color that the edit window.

Thank you Heda
Old 03-07-2024, 02:29 PM   #40
heda

Default v0.5.1 (2024-03-07)

oops. thanks. it should be fixed now
* v0.5.1 (2024-03-07)
# fix Text colors
# Removing old menu right click on button
# fix bug when deleting text size value
# fix adding buttons at position where clicked and zoomed
+ A key to Add button at mouse cursor

Last edited by heda; 03-07-2024 at 04:37 PM.