Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Glueing changes the waveform?

When I glue a file to say, cut a snare out of a loop, then glue it for it to become its own trimmed sample, the waveform changes as i press glue? I can't tell if this is changing the sound or whether its a visual thing? Surely if it changes the audio (as im only glueing) would be a bug?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
When I glue a file to say, cut a snare out of a loop, then glue it for it to become its own trimmed sample, the waveform changes as i press glue? I can't tell if this is changing the sound or whether its a visual thing? Surely if it changes the audio (as im only glueing) would be a bug?
It shouldn't change the waveform if you don't have any envelopes, fades, or anything else that might influence it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
It shouldn't change the waveform if you don't have any envelopes, fades, or anything else that might influence it.
I have nothing else on the file, and just glue to make a new file, and the physical waveform changes? I can't tell if this changes the sound or not?

Is this a bug?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
dr_After

It can change if You have split it first and had option to create automatically fades turned on. After glueing in the place of former split You will see tiny fade in/out.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Xenakios

Resampled/time stretched/pitch shifted audio is drawn in a way which doesn't correspond to the outputted audio samples. If the drawing was to be done exactly, it would require prerendering all the processed audio beforehand, which might be quite slow. Once you glue the audio, the drawn peaks/waveform will now correspond to the actual audio and might look noticeably different from the previous drawn state.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
I have nothing else on the file, and just glue to make a new file, and the physical waveform changes? I can't tell if this changes the sound or not?

Is this a bug?
Hi buckman, can you possibly provide a screenshot of the before & after? I glue audio items all the time and I've never noticed anything strange.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Resampled/time stretched/pitch shifted audio is drawn in a way which doesn't correspond to the outputted audio samples.
Based on buckman's description it doesn't sound like he's got any re-sampling, stretching, or other processing going on.

If not it should be the same, right?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Based on buckman's description it doesn't sound like he's got any re-sampling, stretching, or other processing going on.

If not it should be the same, right?
He says "When I glue a file to say, cut a snare out of a loop", so there's a good chance he might have some time stretching going on.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
He says "When I glue a file to say, cut a snare out of a loop", so there's a good chance he might have some time stretching going on.
No I don't have any processing... I am trying again today and it seems ok..

I am on Mac i7 latest 4,32 - these were simple cuts, dragged to a new track and glued so its just the "hit" as a sample/item on its own

I am doing this right?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
No I don't have any processing... I am trying again today and it seems ok..

I am on Mac i7 latest 4,32 - these were simple cuts, dragged to a new track and glued so its just the "hit" as a sample/item on its own

I am doing this right?
Does the sample rate of your Reaper project and the sample rate of the original loop match? Anyway, can you post some screenshots, so it'd be easier to see the type of change you are getting in the waveform display...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
heda

I have this issue too now...
project sample rate is same as file..
item has stretch applied.
then I glue the item and waveform moves.

so.. how can we have accurate waveform representation of stretched items to be able to move them in fine adjustments? I stretch the items to have a good shape just to discover that after exporting to stem or glueing, the wave is not where I wanted to.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
hopi

heda.... when you have something stretched, the play rate changes... right? Now when you glue that to itself, the new play rate gets set to 1.0... you see?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
heda.... when you have something stretched, the play rate changes... right? Now when you glue that to itself, the new play rate gets set to 1.0... you see?
yes. I understand now that as Xenakios said, for performance reasons, the display of stretched waveform does not correspond to the outputted audio samples. Cannot wait for next release with stretch markers. Hopefully it works better.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote