Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
migman
Human being with feelings

Default Live Mixing Experiment

Hi all,

I occasionally run sound for a friend's band and currently I use a Behringer X32 compact and SD16 stagebox to get the job done. It works well but I have always wanted to give live mixing a go with Reaper, so I thought I would try an experiment. I have in my inventory the following:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Focusrite Octopre Mk II
(2) Appsys ADX-32B ADAT digital snakes (on the way, picked up used for cheap)
2012 Mac Mini, quad core i7, 16GB RAM, SSD
Softube Console 1 Mk II
XLR patchbay
TRS patchbay

The gear I plan to order:
RME RayDAT PCIe card - $950
Sonnet Echo Express SE I PCIe thunderbolt expansion bay - $230
Behringer X-Touch (will probably wait to order until I make sure this will work as I hope) - $480

The Focusrite gear, patchbays, one ADX box, and power distro will be in a 6U case on the stage for the band.
At FOH will be another 6U case containing the Mac Mini, Sonnet box with RayDAT card, the other ADX box, power distro, and a custom patch bay that breaks out all the Mac Mini connectors. On my FOH table will be a keyboard, monitor, mouse, Console 1 (if latency is low enough), and X-Touch (maybe).

What I won't have is remote control of the mic preamps which is not a huge deal.

I also have a plan B which may be more future-proof. This involves a Dante solution that may require me to spend more. The gear that would need to be purchased:

Yamaha TIO-1608D (allows independent operation of the stagebox without a Yamaha mixer) - $1000
Focusrite Rednet PCIeR Dante Accelerator card - $1080
Sonnet Echo Express SE I PCIe thunderbolt expansion bay - $230
Behringer X-Touch (again, only once concept is proven) - $480

In this case the stagebox would just contain the Yamaha TIO-1608D and power distro. The FOH box would similar to above but substituting the Rednet card for the RayDAT. The Dante solution would be more elegant with less parts overall. Before I purchased the Rednet card I would test the setup using Dante Virtual Soundcard to see if the latency would be acceptable. If latency were too high I would then grab the Rednet card and Sonnet box. The Dante solution also allows remote control of the mic preamps via Yamaha's R-Remote software.

I would be interested in what folks think of either option or whether this is just nuts to begin with. Thanks!
migman is offline   Reply With Quote