Old 10-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default How customize window scrollbars?

My theme is an adaptation of the standard Reaper v5 theme. If you're using the default v5 theme, and you look at your scrollbars to the right and in the bottom of Reaper, that is kindof what I would like all scrollbars to look like - even in separate windows.

But if you open the performance meter window in Reaper, you will see a scrollbar to the lower right there (if you have enough number of tracks, or you resize the performance meter window enough). In my Windows 8, the scrollbar in performance meter - and in other windows like it - inherits the windows operative system standard scrollbar look. It doesn't look like the scrollbar in Reaper.

I've been scanning the original rtconfig file, and tried to find any images employed in the default 5.0 theme, but I can't seem to find any direction on how this is done - and yet the Reaper scrollbar still looks like it does.

In short, I'm not sure how to be able to apply this to windows and other scrollbars which otherwise inherits the operative system defaults.
I could use some pointers in the right direction.

Thx in advance
/C

Last edited by Colox; 10-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
hopi

could be mistaken but I think 'those' scroll bars' are from the OS and there is afaik no way in the theme pngs to change that...

I suppose you could come close by changing you OS theme settings
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
could be mistaken but I think 'those' scroll bars' are from the OS and there is afaik no way in the theme pngs to change that...
Thx Hopi.
I'm not entirely convinced though. If I open the routing matrix window, using the default v5 theme, the routing matrix window has got that kind of stylized scrollbar that I would like. And I think it's the same 'kind' of window - though I could be mistaken too.

Going to keep my hopes up a bit
Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Pet

Hi colox,
I guess hopi is right. I quickly changed my OS theme back and forth and the performance window scrollbars change according to it.

The scrollbar-png's in the theme are (hope I'm not totally wrong):
scrollbar.png => Routing Matrix (+Docker?)
scrollbar_2.png (if the theme uses it) => MidiEditor
scrollbar_3.png => Arrange Window

HTH
Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Hi colox,
I guess hopi is right. I quickly changed my OS theme back and forth and the performance window scrollbars change according to it.

The scrollbar-png's in the theme are (hope I'm not totally wrong):
scrollbar.png => Routing Matrix (+Docker?)
scrollbar_2.png (if the theme uses it) => MidiEditor
scrollbar_3.png => Arrange Window
Gaah. I was hoping for something else. I'm using one of those "windows" docked to one side of my Reaper layout, and the scrollbar just .. sticks out like the Eiffel Tower with its size and color. But I guess I will have to live with it then - or, make my own Windows theme the same pistagio green/poop brown scheme that Reaper's default theme is.

No wonder I couldn't find how it was done by scanning rtconfig.

Since we're on the subject, and I've seen both of you guys fine work around, I'd like to suggest a request.

The DAW which has the most ergonomic, visually relaxed, non-prestigious and unconceited color/contrast environment, by far the best for plain work and working long hours days in a row, is Protools. This is partly due to the shapes used, forms and locations of tools and locations of information in the GUI etc, but the color/contrast scheme makes the most of it.

Albert-C and others has made a few themes partly based on Protools, but they are either unfinished, half done, or focuses more on looking impressive, and learns only a bit from the colorscheme. Albert-C has even diverted from the colors and 'fallen into darkness' with the last update for his ambitious work.
However fashionable dark themes are today, it's real straining for the eyes with that much contrast and makes it difficult for the eye to spontaneously find objects and areas.

I really wish someone could make an ergonomic protools-like colorscheme theme for Reaper, where it feels almost like looking into the light-conditions of a normal everyday living room. Doesn't need to be a Protools clone at all, don't need any connection to it overall, just to learn from the color and contrast environment it's got, along with some inspiration from the forms some tools. Otherwise, Reaper's standard shapes ain't bad. It just makes too much of an impression on the eyes, to me.

Thx for me

Last edited by Colox; 10-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
kkostovas

I believe you can change the size of those scrollbars using WinAero tweeker or by editing the registry. Give it a try, I've made them quite small and it looks really nice. Also it gives more space in the editing area.

But it will be for all wimdows scrollbars.
kkostovas is offline   Reply With Quote