Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Windows Tablet or Ipad? Help me to choose!

Hi,

I've been thinking about it for several days now, but some questions remained unanswered. The difficulty is that I need a real winner that can do.... Everything! This include:

-Add a touchscreen monitor to my Windows computer, possible using Maxivista if I use an Ipad. Should be straightforward with a Windows tablet. Would use it to control Reaper, probably in the way Reaper-forumite Pixeltarian does it( make custom toolbar with big icons+dock the MCP). Ability to enter notes on a score editor would be a big plus. (Windows support pen input, Ios doesn't)
Q: How easy (hard) would it be to link pc and windows slate if different windows are installed(7,8..Professional, ultimate...)
Q: Have you tried to enter notes on a score using your fingers?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-To be a controller for my Axe-fx. The axe-fx editor doesn't exist on Android, eliminating it from my choice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-To be the equivalent of a Muse research Receptor. And now it becomes tricky:
For this I need a software like Mainstage on Mac

Q: I heard Mainstage doesn't exist on Ipad (yet). Have you heard about something equivalent? And if it gets released, will you be able to use any of your AU FX?

There is Brainspawn Forte for Windows ( But I'd like not to spend 150 euros for this) and LiveProfessor Beta 2.2, which is still free and seems stable.

Q:Would it be possible to manage it with a daw(Reaper, of course ). I must be able to load a preconfigured set of Vst's with specific presets with a Program Change.

I also need some Hardware.The tablet would receive midi messages ( Program changes,CC, note on, note off..), and send its Audio in the Axe-fx. I don't want the Alesis IO dock, because I don't want to rely on the Ipad D/A converters. I can plug the camera connexion kit to have usb connection, and plug a audio/midi interface ios compatible, which doesn't require drivers.
Q: How do I know if an interface is like this or not?
Easier on Windows? Maybe..
Q: Thoughts?

So, apart from that, I keep these pros and cons in mind:
Ipad: From what I understand, I'm limited to the Ipad'app, which are growing in numbers, but there are billions on Windows... I could change my mind if you tell me it's possible to use any vst/Au on Ipad. ( Never owned anything Aplle until now...)

Windows: If go on the internet, I got chances to get a virus, which I can't since the tablet would be used live on stage.
The only decent Windows tablets I have seen looks Very expensive.

Ok, and a lot of other things that crossed my mind. So, if you can share any thought, experience, advice, idea, I'll gladly take them. Thank you!!
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Q: Thoughts?
My kids got iPads from school. They look real slick, but... all kinds of problems with sharing and printing files. The iPad is incredibly closed, much more than I initially thought. For instance, there's no way to print on non-AirPrint-enabled printers, which means our existing printers are worthless (and I'm not buying a new one just to print from the iPads). Sharing files over iWork just doesn't work very well, and from what I understand, there's no other way to get files out of the iPad.

This might not be a problem for you, but at least it is a thought
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
wmckelvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
My kids got iPads from school. They look real slick, but... all kinds of problems with sharing and printing files. The iPad is incredibly closed, much more than I initially thought. For instance, there's no way to print on non-AirPrint-enabled printers, which means our existing printers are worthless (and I'm not buying a new one just to print from the iPads). Sharing files over iWork just doesn't work very well, and from what I understand, there's no other way to get files out of the iPad.

This might not be a problem for you, but at least it is a thought
There are different printing programs available to utilize printers in your house. They do not have to "AirPrint" enabled. I print from my iPod Touch (same program for iPad) to my HP portable printer all of the time.

With iTunes you can add and delete data with certain programs. To find out which ones, connect i"device", open iTunes, click on device, then click Apps and scroll to the bottom where it says file sharing. This is where you can add and remove data for different programs.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckelvey View Post
There are different printing programs available to utilize printers in your house. They do not have to "AirPrint" enabled. I print from my iPod Touch (same program for iPad) to my HP portable printer all of the time.

With iTunes you can add and delete data with certain programs. To find out which ones, connect i"device", open iTunes, click on device, then click Apps and scroll to the bottom where it says file sharing. This is where you can add and remove data for different programs.
At the risk of starting an Apple flame war here (which I really don't want to do)...

You're right about AirPrint. My problem is that the school does not allow pay-apps to be installed on the iPads, so those third-party apps are a no-go for us; may not be a problem for most people.

As regards getting files in/out of the pads, I was thinking getting them over to another computer, like my windows machine to print from. Does not work reliably at all, not even sharing by email. We've managed it once or twice, since then it has not worked.

Then there's also this to regard: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...07&postcount=6

That said... lots of people seem happy with their iPads as controllers:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96898
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95830
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58212
etc...