Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 07-06-2019, 04:29 AM   #1
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Default How does Reaper play as an in-ear monitor system?

Hi, I'm considering pairing my Babyface Pro with Reaper for live jobs. I plan on recording loops and stuff into Reaper and was wondering, if Reaper going through my Babyface Pro isn't the best way to monitor and in-ear setup too, while were at it. I'd probably only need two outputs for the monitors, one for me for controlling the setup, punching in the loops and so on, and one for the drummer. But will probably have a few channels going out to the live engineer, but I could live with a stereo channel for convenience.

Is there any reason why I should stay away from something like this?

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 07-06-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
dazastah

rme have internal mixes built in. you can have custom mixes for each physical output.

so the headphone out can be your inear mix,

your xlr outputs can send straight to engineer , and then they can return those signals to your drummer ..
problem would be if the drummer needs a click, then you have to sacrifice the stereo output for a mono mix where one channel is click for drummer.

if you get something like this https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)

you can now have 8 outs , with a bonus 8 mic pres via adat in and out on the baby face pro.
Lots more options for very little money..
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Tiggerdyret

Thanks for the response. Won't the totalmix headphone mix only work for input channels and whatever output sends i setup through Reaper? It would only be for the vocals that people could adjust since everything else is VSTIs or guitar sims. But I could setup headphone mixes inside reaper and send them to the output channels and then have anyone who'd need a monitor mix adjust their volume themselves.

I actually own the old version of that Behringer, but it I've heard that the older models were prone to heating problems, but they are dirt cheap anyway, so I might get a new one.

Why would I send the headphone mix to the FOH and not just directly to the drummer? There are two stereo headphone outs and two mono XLR outputs. The only problem is that the headphone output are adjusted by the same volume, but that might just be me not understanding the software well enough, since I haven't needed to separate them yet. Is that why you suggest going through the XLR?
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
dazastah

Total Mix works for all input and software outs to physical outputs...
The top faders in total mix are the inputs, the middle row , or second set are usually software outputs, the thrid or final row of faders are the physical outputs. When you click on a specific physical output fader , the two first fader sets (software outs and physical ins ) are your mix for the selected physical output.

What it means is your headphone port can have a mix of physical ins and software outs(playback from daw)

You can send what ever you want direct to drummer, but its usually a good idea to send him stuff in a way he can control his mix himself. Totalmix now has a ios remote app.. As long as your computer and his ios device is connected to same network, you can give him remote access to his physical output.
Many options...
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote