Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #81
plamuk
Human being with feelings

i can't believe nobody has mentioned atlantis yet.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #82
Banned

u-he ACE.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #83
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
whatever i heard in it this morning, i sure ain't hearing it now. disregard anything i say about synths. i'm a guitarist.
I'm glad you finely worked that out I checked it out after reading your post & I thought the house was under attack by a swarm of sick psychedelic bees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene View Post
KarmaFX is awesome. Every module that comprises it is top-notch and Kasper updates it regularly. Of the three you list, it is my favorite and the one I find most useful.

But on to better things. I downloaded the demo of KarmaFX & it is indeed Awesome. I got carried away with it so much, one minute its night next its day Its got almost endless routing/modulation & (this is the part I love) you can load your own samples. I had a very interesting preset going with a break beat, Chimes FX & a saw wave osc. I think I like it almost as much as Alchemy. There's some very helpful tutorial videos on the website too. Its also quite reasonably priced, works out about £86 when you add the EU VAT.

Are there many more presets with the full version? It would be good if it came with samples

Ps. I found GUI a bit buggy it would freeze sometimes but closing & reopening the window sorted it.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #84
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
no experience with syncmodular although keep meaning to try it - i believe it was the forerunner to NI's reaktor.
I had a registered license for Sync back in the days. It wasn't the forerunner of Reaktor though, it was it's main rival.

Sync is abandonware now (that's why they set it free just recently) and the available ensembles for it are vanishing from the internet. I looked around lately to see what is still available as there used to be many users websites with ensembles for download but most is already gone.

Quote:
SyncModular is crap. It is grainy and unsophisticated. It sounds lousy and is cumbersome to use. I wasted a week working with this thing because I thought that surely no one would make something this bad without hanging the alpha tag on it. I was wrong; it is garbage.
History proves you wrong

Sync is/was so good that NI hired the Sync developer to work on Reaktor, and in the process get Sync Modular out of the way as it's main competition. The quality of Sync also made them shelve it for five or six years before releasing it into freeware because of the competitive risk it used to have for Reaktor.

The impressive thing with Sync is that you can drill down into the underlying DSP-models that drive the modules and change them or build your own. It's more a development platform then it is a modular synth. It is a fact that several plugin developers back in the day used Sync to quickly prototype DSP-models before coding it into a dedicated plugin.

Because you are actually building a synth from scratch in Sync it can sound crap or it can sound incredible. The fact that you say it sounds crap says nothing about Sync but a lot more about you being able to build something usefull with it
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #85
carbon

Thanks a lot for the information guys (rictheobscene, bladerunner, technogremlin - sorry if I forgot anyone ).

I've played around with zebra, blok and karmasynth for a while now - not yet building patches and both, zebra and karma sound very nice.

But I can't help thinking a lot of the niceness comes from the ample use of effect used in the patches, what do you think?

When I compare them to my Nord Modular which has next to zero FX, the nord can sound quite beepy compared to the glitz these VST-s offer.

A good point that you bring up is the support from development and userbase - this gets me a bit cautious - which one of them will prevail, which abandoned...
Wouldn't want to bet on the wrong horse as it is an investment, both money and time/effort in learning to use.

Which brings me to another aspect the learning curve - I'm no mathematician

I've always loved the look and mystery of the endless Reaktor, but when actually trying to make my own patches I've eventually given up in the past.
Just look at inside those factory synth patches (was it junatik or something) - it's crazy, the sheer amount of those connections - how could anybody find their way around there, let alone make it in the first place?

Well, eventually decisions have to be made or I'll go on for the rest of time testing synths, not making music nor sounds.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #86
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I've played around with zebra, blok and karmasynth for a while now - not yet building patches and both, zebra and karma sound very nice.

But I can't help thinking a lot of the niceness comes from the ample use of effect used in the patches, what do you think?
it depends upon the way you think about sound design - i personally very much include effects within the concept of sound design - i will often end up with quite a plugin chain after the synth to achieve a desired result. just switch off all the effects when going through each synths presets to hear what it truly sounds like. effects will always 'dress up' a sound but won't really change the fundamental sound of it (if we are talking just reverbs and delays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Well, eventually decisions have to be made or I'll go on for the rest of time testing synths, not making music nor sounds.
lol! i have spent at least 3 years doing that! i have made a few tunes along the way though... no need to hurry - don't rush yourself. just spend plenty of time with the demo of each synth before you shell out any cash
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #87
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
whatever i heard in it this morning, i sure ain't hearing it now. disregard anything i say about synths. i'm a guitarist.
What? Perhaps - being a guitar-player - you've got a good ear regarding synths which really sound organic. daHornet is a fantastic little synth which can bring a lot of joy to people who dislike that cheesy plastic sound you get from many other VAs (just like the original hardware it is modelled on).

Here's a little demo piece I once made years ago for the daHornet ProSounds soundset:

http://www.pro-sounds.net/Audio/daHo...rnets-Nest.mp3

I think the soundset is well worth the asked money.

http://www.pro-sounds.net/modules.ph...article&sid=28

Last edited by jens; 03-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #88
kelldammit

+1 alchemy. alchemy, zebra, and blue are the only synths that i end up using with any regularity (read: multiple instances in EVERY project).

some of those others look pretty sweet, too. will have to check out karmafx, but i'm just not feelin' the need...

great fun, synth shopping! enjoy!

kell

-OR-

feed the children. preferably to starving wild animals.
kelldammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #89
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
+1 alchemy. alchemy, zebra, and blue are the only synths that i end up using with any regularity (read: multiple instances in EVERY project).

some of those others look pretty sweet, too. will have to check out karmafx, but i'm just not feelin' the need...

great fun, synth shopping! enjoy!

kell
I Totally agree with you, Out of all the synths I've been demoing lately
Alchemy, Zebra & KarmaFX are my favourites. You could definitely get away with using just multiple instances of Alchemy & Zebra, no problem. Plus a Dash of Drumaxx (the new toy at the moment). If your ever in the mood for something new give KarmaFX a go. It didn't take me long to find my way around it & I wouldn't class myself as much of a synth person. Its the only synth out of the bunch I've tried lately that offers anything close to the sampling capabilities of Alchemy.....still cant afford Alchemy yet though.... ahh, some day...some day.....
Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #90
ARP

Get an Alesis Micron, and plug it in to your computer, one of the most amazing and versatile synth's ever made.

ARP.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #91
jens

I was under the impression he's specifically looking for a soft-synth and in that case your suggestion doesn't really make too much sense...
I could be wrong of course.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #92
pixeltarian

I've been hearing nothing but good things about ACE.
http://www.acesynth.com/
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #93
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
u-he ACE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I've been hearing nothing but good things about ACE.
http://www.acesynth.com/
You're right. In my opinion ACE is the best sounding synth I've heard so far. It's overwhelming but sound quality is beyond.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #94
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
I was under the impression he's specifically looking for a soft-synth and in that case your suggestion doesn't really make too much sense...
I could be wrong of course.
I cant think of just one soft synth that's anywhere near as versatile as the Micron, trust me to miss the point entirely though...

I have Reaktor, and Reason, between those two applications they have everything more or less covered, they get used on virtually every session, highly recommended, from really way-out-west, to bog standard meat-and-potatoes.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #95
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I cant think of just one soft synth that's anywhere near as versatile as the Micron, trust me to miss the point entirely though...

I have Reaktor, and Reason, between those two applications they have everything more or less covered, they get used on virtually every session, highly recommended, from really way-out-west, to bog standard meat-and-potatoes.
No harm done, all suggestions welcome...I suppose its partly my fault, I didn't specify SoftSynth in the title. But you did miss one other thing:

Inexpensive Synth All-rounder ?

Reaktor = £342

Inexpensive: –adjective
not expensive; not high in price; costing little.

HAHAHA!!

I suppose that's subjective really, depending on your budget. Mines about £150, I might stretch to £180 for Alchemy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
You're right. In my opinion ACE is the best sounding synth I've heard so far. It's overwhelming but sound quality is beyond.
OK No excuses now. A demo of Ace came with the latest copy of Computer Music. I'm gonna install it now & give it a whirl.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #96
rictheobscene

OK, this is hardly what I would call an all-arounder, but if you are looking to get those fat, nasty, industrialesque sounds (leads or bass lines), then Mantis 307 is worth a try. I fired this thing up and got sounds so wicked that the tree out front uprooted itself and moved away and the neighbors cat took up smoking and threw itself in front of a bus. Again, hardly an all arounder, but definitely the cream of the crop at what it does.

At 20 bucks it is a good bargain. It works a lot like Reaper's demo; a fully-functional demo without expiration and a nag screen until you pay the 20 bucks. They send you a key file when you register. The key file is done by hand, so sometimes it takes a few hours to get it. But, since it never expires, you can keep making tuneage.

http://www.subatomiclabs.com/mantis/
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #97
technogremlin

Another suggestion: RGC Audio's Square I. Used to be payware but is now free.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/130.html
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #98
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
u-he ACE.
the downside with this is that you will have to get used to the idea of bouncing a lot your tracks to audio as it can be extremely cpu hungry.

earlier in this thread i gave a vote for alchemy but i must admit, after thinking about it i would say rhino is probably the best when considering features and value for money (alchemy is almost 3 times the price).
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #99
ARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
No harm done, all suggestions welcome...I suppose its partly my fault, I didn't specify SoftSynth in the title. But you did miss one other thing:

Inexpensive Synth All-rounder ?

Reaktor = £342

Inexpensive: –adjective
not expensive; not high in price; costing little.

HAHAHA!!

I suppose that's subjective really, depending on your budget. Mines about £150,
Well, a secondhand Micron on Fleabay would set you back about £150, well worth it....

Sorry I'll shut-up now ....

Old 03-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #100
strunkdts

Mercado is correct, ACE is a great synth, but seriously check out TASSMAN 4 by Applied Acoustics. I have heard sounds inside of that which are so "real" and "acoustic" unlike anything else out there, its also modular and allows you to build synths and effects kinda like Reaktor but alot simpler. The interface is really cool too. Try it out its awesome. Im still getting right into the guts of it and its incredibly powerful and has endless possibilties. Rave reviews all over the place too.
Also another favourite of mine in Future Audio Workshops CIRCLE > another awesome softsynth with a really different and quite novel interface and approach to patching. Its essentially a modular like ACE but a lot more. You can really push it too.
The Korg legacy classics bundle rocks. The MS20 sounds super fat, and you get the Wavestation too.
Special mention must also go to VirSyns stuff, especially CUBE, which is a really different kind of synthesis. Its great to be able to load it full of yer own samples and see what kind of inside mangled textures come out. And textures is really what CUBE is all about. Really nice.
OhmForce SYMPTOHM MELOHMAN is a wild synth thats a bit different. Check out all the OhmForce stuff. Some of the best plugs out there I rekon. Ohmicide and Quadfrohmage rock!
And i just remebered SCHWAS OLGA is probably the best sounding dirty analog replica ever made. Cheap too for REAPER license holders!!!!!!!!
Most of these synths Ive mentioned are a bit more pricey but you can get em cheap now n then, and with the continued trend of "No Brainers" popping up around the place yer sure to find a good deal. Visit all the sites and try them out, someone somewhere is always having a "sale" or getting rid of stuff at cheap prices.
edit: TERRATEC KOMPLEXOR is also really good. I use it alot for evil DnB sounds.Really really big sounding synth. I think its a Waldorf related product. Nuff said.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #101
Peevy

Thanks for your very informative input strunkdts.

Ace is indeed...eh..ACE! I really loved just playing the patches alone, they sound really good. The way you connect modules with cables is a bit like KarmaFX & seems pretty straight forward. At £62 its a bargain. There is the CPU hit but as bladerunner says, easily remedied by bouncing to audio.

I'm downloading Cube now, I'll take it for a test drive later. Tassman is way out of my budget right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
earlier in this thread i gave a vote for alchemy but i must admit, after thinking about it i would say rhino is probably the best when considering features and value for money (alchemy is almost 3 times the price).
Yeah Rhino sounds great, has a lot of patches & lots of teak-ability potential. But I'm just not feeling the UI, I find it awkward & fiddly.
Believe me I've tried to get used to it. While I still love Alchemy, I had a lot of fun with KarmaFX the other night & today with Ace. So I'm thinking I could get both Ace & KarmaFX for less than what you'd pay for Alchemy.
I'm sure I could do a lot with these two synths alone.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #102
rictheobscene

Quote:
But I'm just not feeling the UI, I find it awkward & fiddly.
Brother, if you like the sound of Rhino, take the time to get your head around it and get comfortable with the GUI. It is the cream of the crop in every important category. You will not regret it. The Tickman rocks.

Last edited by rictheobscene; 03-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #103
strunkdts

Quote:
Thanks for your very informative input strunkdts.

Ace is indeed...eh..ACE! I really loved just playing the patches alone, they sound really good. The way you connect modules with cables is a bit like KarmaFX & seems pretty straight forward. At £62 its a bargain. There is the CPU hit but as bladerunner says, easily remedied by bouncing to audio.

I'm downloading Cube now, I'll take it for a test drive later. Tassman is way out of my budget right now.
if ur into the modular cable thing then check out CIRCLE, i rekon youll dig it. Great UI too.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #104
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunkdts View Post
if ur into the modular cable thing then check out CIRCLE, i rekon youll dig it. Great UI too.
Indeed. CIRCLE is really good tho I don't own it and I don't remember how it works but when I demoed it I remember it had some nice features and ways to connect stuff. But ACE... oh man, its sound is superb
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #105
UncleAge

I have quite a few soft synths and I'd have to recommend Ace as well, regardless of the budget. I played around with the demo for weeks before finally buying it earlier today. I really like the quality of the sound it produces. However its too soon for me to call it a good all-rounder. I just haven't spent that kind of time with it yet.

My all-rounder synths (bass, pads, leads and arps) would be more along the lines of Albino, Blue, Zebra and Alchemy. And IMO, the hardest of those to replace, sound-wise, is Blue.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #106
kelldammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAge View Post
My all-rounder synths (bass, pads, leads and arps) would be more along the lines of Albino, Blue, Zebra and Alchemy. And IMO, the hardest of those to replace, sound-wise, is Blue.
we share similar tastes. they were likewise my big 4, but now i'm down to 3 (i sold albino fairly recently). you would definitely have to pry blue out of my cold dead hands. i'm SUCH a fanboy

k

-OR-

feed the children. preferably to starving wild animals.
kelldammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #107
aMUSEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
ACE is great but not really an all rounder. It's more a monophonic/duophonic/modular specialist - great for stuff that doesn't take lots of voices but unless you have a seriously powerful PC (and even then are prepared not to run lots of instances) it's not so useful for pads and ambient soundscapes that need lots of voices (though it can do crazy modular type fx)

Zebra on the other hand is a great all rounder and they complement each other very well.
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #108
winbe

Thanks guys !! I just discovered ACE !! Wow... I love it... and cheap..

I don't think it is an "allrounder"... but unlike all the other I tried, with the presets, I already want to make music, to create songs, they are sooo inspiring !!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #109
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post

I don't think it is an "allrounder"... but unlike all the other I tried, with the presets, I already want to make music, to create songs, they are sooo inspiring !!
The patches are amazing . If you wanna start going CABLE CRAZZZY!! check out this nifty video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sEVuQ0DkA

So back to the matter at hand. I hear ya when you say Ace isn't an all-rounder but it does have a lot to offer... Real pity about the CPU greed.

I have now demoed pretty much every Synth mentioned in this thread. I know I probably should have spent a bit more time with them all to learn the ins & outs. But I just had to start narrowing it down a bit (I have to start making some music... you know!) to my favourites out of the bunch. Now that's favourites not necessarily best soft synths. So here we go:

Alchemy
Ace
KarmaFX Synth Modular
Rhino
Zebra

If I ruled Alchemy & Zebra out of the equation I could probably go for two of the others. Right now I'm leaning towards Ace & KarmaFX.

I'd Really appreciate your help on this one guys, you have all been so very helpful so far.

Its time to start voting
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #110
aMUSEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post

If you like it check out my 3 banks for it (some of the 100 are also in the factory patches):

200 in total

100 bank

Heavy Industry

Odds and Sods
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #111
winbe

To be honest, I did not notice it was CPU hungry (it is always below 2%), but I compared to Albino, for instance, and yes, Albino is around 0,5 / 0,6% so it is way lower. (on a Q9550)

Now I just tested Albino 3... more versatile... and like you, I have to test the others... ACE is really cheap, that is tempting !!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #112
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
If you like it check out my 3 banks for it (some of the 100 are also in the factory patches):

200 in total

100 bank

Heavy Industry

Odds and Sods
Thanks so much for these banks aMUSEd
I'll definitely have to buy Ace now. How about some video tutorials showing how you made some of these patches

So KarmaFX or Rhino....mmmm let me see.
Both brilliant Synths but I'm a lot more comfortable with KarmaFX's UI

Decision...decisions...HELP!!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #113
rictheobscene

Quote:
Thanks so much for these banks aMUSEd
I'll definitely have to buy Ace now. How about some video tutorials showing how you made some of these patches

So KarmaFX or Rhino....mmmm let me see.
Both brilliant Synths but I'm a lot more comfortable with KarmaFX's UI

Decision...decisions...HELP!!
Work a little OT and get both.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #114
Peevy

Quote:
Work a little OT and get both.
Unfortunately I don't get OT were I work but hey....rictheobscene
all donations are gladly accepted
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #115
strunkdts

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't get OT were I work but hey....rictheobscene
all donations are gladly accepted
i like the donations idea.

You know we could all take turns donating 5 dollars to someone, then the next week/couple of days we all give 5 dollars each to someone else and by the end of it everyones had a turn and gotten a couple hundred bucks to by some new shiney!
Who's in?
First up we'll start by donating 5bucks each to me cos I came up with the scam, I mean idea.
PM me for me account details.
And thanks alot, I really mean it.

Maybe you could all get in after this post as a list of whos next and we'll take it from there.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #116
brainwreck

i'm next.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #117
Peevy

Hold on...Hold on! Since I started this thread I think I should be first in line.
strunkdts you can be next as you expanded on my begging idea.

Everyone else just form an orderly cew......

[IMG]http://img143.**************/img143/3719/beggar.png[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #118
strunkdts

Im bloody serious you know.
This is socialism at its craziset and best. Its a beautiful thing. Most of the worlds ills requiring money could be fixed in the same way. There need not be poverty. And you need not have to do without that bit of kit that you so dearly need.
I trust you all in turn as you can trust me.
And anyone who is in I ve got your back.
Just think about it for a while.
We could start small, just a couple of bucks, One dollar evn, with enuff people you would only need to hand over one dollar 3 times a week for a whole lot of us/everyone(?) here in ReaperLand to get ourselves a bit of shiney before financial new year,xmas, whenever. Agree on a date, make the list, get to it... too easy.
Think it over.
How much spare change goes on crap and basically nowhere each week?
It so simple and perfect that it can and does actually work.
The biggest thing is trust.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #119
mtsproductions

No one has mentioned RGC Audio Zeta+,... only $99 my favorite analog synth over anything out there.. Try it out
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #120
UncleAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
we share similar tastes. they were likewise my big 4, but now i'm down to 3 (i sold albino fairly recently). you would definitely have to pry blue out of my cold dead hands. i'm SUCH a fanboy
I know IMO, its one of the most underrated synths. On first listen its sounds a bit cold, you know digital sounding. However, once I started using it more and more I found it was probably one of the easiest synths for me to "sit" in a mix. And I'm talking with acoustical instruments in there as well. Its hard to describe really but if you're a fan I'm sure you know what I mean.

With that said, its also the hardest synth for me to program. I'm pretty much a preset whore anyway but on most of my synths I'll tweak things a bit to get them to fit. But in Blue, I leave it alone for the most part. A little modulation here or there but I don't even attempt to program a patch from scratch. In fact the only synth that I do program things from scratch would be Alchemy. The whole layout and concept just begs you to experiment. I make sure not to go too far into the deep in though.

I think the OP offered up a good question. I wish I had asked around a bit more before I started shelling out so much cash. Don't get me wrong, I like all of my synths and I use them all (from time to time). But I don't really need them all. And I probably could have gotten by with fewer of them hanging around. Most finished *cough* projects usually have about 2-4 synths in them. The rest I keep around for inspiration or to just mess around with. I recently bought a Mac and I have decided that some of them won't be making the transfer. I just don't use them often enough. They are like that shirt in the closet that you put on once a year or so because everything is dirty
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote