Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
DrFrankencopter
Human being with feelings

Default Control Room Buss

I suspect this has been requested before, but I couldn't find it...

Effectively my request is for a Control Room buss that is in parallel with the Master Parent track.
( The current signal flow is here: https://i.imgur.com/7BzaVPk.png ). What I'm proposing is that the Main buss should be a parallel branch that is just after the track mute button, and does not go into the track solo button. There should be a control room buss that goes from the track mute button to the track solo button and off to the control room monitors (via a Control Room fader).

This would allow users to solo tracks in the control room, while still feeding the main mix to either a 2-track, headphone sends, etc. You could use this live, and use your headphones for the Control Room buss, and the main mix for the FOH send. Basically, this would make the Reaper mixer more like a console.

Cheers

Kris
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
JoeBar035

Default Controlroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I suspect this has been requested before, but I couldn't find it...

Effectively my request is for a Control Room buss that is in parallel with the Master Parent track.
( The current signal flow is here: https://i.imgur.com/7BzaVPk.png ). What I'm proposing is that the Main buss should be a parallel branch that is just after the track mute button, and does not go into the track solo button. There should be a control room buss that goes from the track mute button to the track solo button and off to the control room monitors (via a Control Room fader).

This would allow users to solo tracks in the control room, while still feeding the main mix to either a 2-track, headphone sends, etc. You could use this live, and use your headphones for the Control Room buss, and the main mix for the FOH send. Basically, this would make the Reaper mixer more like a console.
I would love to have a control room in Reaper! I use Cubase/Nuendo now only because of the control room. A simple version would be enough, just an extra output for monitors and headphone which could do pfl/afl without muting the master output.
JoeBar035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Danieljfern

Default Why is this such a sparse thread

Seems crazy to me that there's only 2 posts on this thread in 4 years.

I've been scouring the internet to find a reaper solution to this problem.

When I'm recording artists, I need to be able to solo the channels I'm recording whilst headphone mixes remain unaffected. At the moment the only way I can do this is to open the routing matrix and toggle the main mix sends of all unwanted control room tracks individually, then reverting them one by one if I want to hear the channel in context.

E.G. If I have a Singer in the booth, and I need them to sing their part along with the track, whilst they're hearing their preferred headphone mix and I can solo their vocal so I can only hear the input. I.e the vocalist is still singing with the proper context but I can hear only the Vocal.

Am I missing something, Is this available?
Danieljfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Philbo King

I usually set up a dedicated phones buss track (or two, if separate headphone mixes are needed).

The setup:
- no parent send
- hardware output to phones channels
- get sends from each submix buss or individual channels (not both!)

You could easily do the same to create a Control Room bus, and solo/mute whatever sends you want.

I'm not saying this is an invalid request, just there are other ways to go.

Last edited by Philbo King; 01-04-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I usually set up a dedicated phones buss track (or two, if separate headphone mixes are needed).

The setup:
- no parent send
- hardware output to phones channels
- get sends from each submix buss or individual channels (not both!)

You could easily do the same to create a Control Room bus, and solo/mute whatever sends you want.

I'm not saying this is an invalid request, just there are other ways to go.
So you put one send on each submix bus going to each headphone track, then a hardware output on each headphone track? And headphones have parent send turned off so they don't feed the master, but the submixes still feed the master and that's what you monitor?
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
valy

How do you adjust the volume of the vocal being recorded independently of the music for the headphone mix then? You have to mess around with the send volumes?
Old 02-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #7
alexmcginness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBar035 View Post
I would love to have a control room in Reaper! I use Cubase/Nuendo now only because of the control room. A simple version would be enough, just an extra output for monitors and headphone which could do pfl/afl without muting the master output.
Id be using Reaper right now if there was a dedicated control room mixer in Reaper. Tried Reaper a couple of times but because if the lack of a control room, Im still on Cubase 10.5.
alexmcginness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #8
Gass n Klang

bump. This gets even more relevant when working with different formats at the same time. I'm mixing a big TV show at the moment which will be in surround. Have to deliver a stereo downmix as well. Atm I have plugins on my master track which I can enable for my downmix but having multiple mixes parallel routed to my audio interface would be much easier.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
alexmcginness

Default controll room mixer

Im a Cubase 10.5 user. If Reaper had a separate control room mixer like Cubase Id switch in a heart beat. Ive seen the work arounds posted and none of them do what the control room mixer in Cubase does yet. Maybe someday....
alexmcginness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #10
valy

This never bothered me, but only because I have an audio interface with its own robust routing software that lets me create up to four independent stereo mixes and route them to any hardware outputs.

That's essential for me for the same reasons as you guys mentioned: I need to be able to solo the mike being recorded without muting the song for the artist.

Having the native ability to do this in Reaper seems very important. I might not always use a recording interface that allows me to do this.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
This never bothered me, but only because I have an audio interface with its own robust routing software that lets me create up to four independent stereo mixes and route them to any hardware outputs.

That's essential for me for the same reasons as you guys mentioned: I need to be able to solo the mike being recorded without muting the song for the artist.

Having the native ability to do this in Reaper seems very important. I might not always use a recording interface that allows me to do this.
This is how I've always approached it, in the interface app, either the MetricHalo Console or the Focusrite MixControl, depending. MixControl actually does it great and is quick to route. I think I'd still prefer doing it in an interface app even if it was possible to do it within the DAW because (to me, anyway) it's simple and easy to adjust on the fly. Having it not within the DAW itself works better mentally for me.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
This is how I've always approached it, in the interface app, either the MetricHalo Console or the Focusrite MixControl, depending. MixControl actually does it great and is quick to route. I think I'd still prefer doing it in an interface app even if it was possible to do it within the DAW because (to me, anyway) it's simple and easy to adjust on the fly. Having it not within the DAW itself works better mentally for me.
Yep I use MixControl with my Scarlett 18i20...and the best thing about it is that I can save the routing to the hardware directly, meaning I don't even have to turn the computer on to use the routing the way it is.

But, I realize not everyone has an interface with such software.

Reading through the thread I do feel now that it IS possible in Reaper, with some setup involved (the first time, then save as template). Without trying it though I couldn't say if it gives me the exact same functionality that MixControl does.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
Yep I use MixControl with my Scarlett 18i20...and the best thing about it is that I can save the routing to the hardware directly, meaning I don't even have to turn the computer on to use the routing the way it is.

But, I realize not everyone has an interface with such software.

Reading through the thread I do feel now that it IS possible in Reaper, with some setup involved (the first time, then save as template). Without trying it though I couldn't say if it gives me the exact same functionality that MixControl does.
Also using different MixControl consoles for different different situations is very convenient. And it just WORKS