Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #121
maxdembo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You spend far too much time on that site, Mr. Dumbo!!

How rude.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #122
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 1
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 1½
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 1¾
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 1⅞
[ ] Zero Crossing pt. 2 <- you are here

First one was posted *checks notes* Apr 4, so lets assume I'll wrap this one up with an anniversary. Surely will be my opus magnum, 6 youtube likes, easily.
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 2

Not gonna wait or else I'll start remixing it to death. Plan for kung fu movies fell through, it's just usual wankery. Has a couple time sig changes and might even not be in E. I think, not sure.

Downing rating to 4 youtube likes tops, coz no kung fu movies.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #123
domzy

Quote:
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 2

Not gonna wait or else I'll start remixing it to death. Plan for kung fu movies fell through, it's just usual wankery. Has a couple time sig changes and might even not be in E. I think, not sure.

great stuff, keep up the good work!
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:22 AM   #124
zeekat

Four likes, spot on! Was worth buying a drum synth plug for the outro and a new grocery store brand battery for the bass(Carrefour has the best tone).
Old 03-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #125
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
How rude.
It`s just how I roll, maan...
Old 03-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #126
ivansc

Quote:
[x] Zero Crossing pt. 2

Well I enjoyed it, especially since you have the same brand of radiator that we do!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #127
maxdembo

I cut out the middle man.

No more having to transfer mixer files from the external hard drive to the PC for editing. I'm now recording straight onto the same hard drive, but first going thru tiny Raspberry Pi 4, 8 gb, via USB 2 from the mixer, and into Reaper running on Raspberry Pi OS.

Spare old monitor that was in a cupboard providing the visual feedback.

I should be able to just grab the Reaper file and files over the network now. No having to physically switch out the hard drive, copy the files over, load files, make a Reaper folder, save the RPP.

Pi 4, 8gb, overclocked to 2.3ghz CPU, 900mhz GPU. Passive cooling.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #128
foxAsteria

Quote:
Pi 4, 8gb, overclocked to 2.3ghz CPU, 900mhz GPU. Passive cooling.
Running what, Linux? How much? I tried Linux and kinda loved the OS, but I couldn't get most of my main plugin arsenal to run, so I ran back to Windows.

I didn't announce it in advance, but I did finally finish drums this week for one of the few I still needed to record for. I realize attacking 3 albums at once is still a bad approach, but since I can never commit to focusing on one thing at a time, I'm still bouncing around.

Precarious, but at least I got some drums done. Now for the ultimate procrastinator challenge...vocals. Was hoping I might get my sister to help with that, but now she's pregnant. Oi. That might change things a bit...I'm not ready to be an uncle...maybe I should be daft and write a song about that...
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #129
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Running what, Linux? How much? I tried Linux and kinda loved the OS, but I couldn't get most of my main plugin arsenal to run, so I ran back to Windows.

I didn't announce it in advance, but I did finally finish drums this week for one of the few I still needed to record for. I realize attacking 3 albums at once is still a bad approach, but since I can never commit to focusing on one thing at a time, I'm still bouncing around.

Precarious, but at least I got some drums done. Now for the ultimate procrastinator challenge...vocals. Was hoping I might get my sister to help with that, but now she's pregnant. Oi. That might change things a bit...I'm not ready to be an uncle...maybe I should be daft and write a song about that...
Congrats on all that stuff, you cool uncle you!

Raspberry Pi is running Pi OS. Based on Linux, yes. Still got my desktop for everything else, but if I want to use a tiny field recorder (Zoom H5), and a PC smaller than the hard drive its recording too, that would be the Pi 4

The Pi is the size of a credit card. For purely recording hardware, its quite amazing that this is possible. Its power use is limited so its not perfect with an external drive, but recording straight to the SD card is a thing and there is an adaptor for adding another SD card, so one for OS, one for recording.

Still, I've been recording 16 tracks straight to the HDD with no problems via USB 3 (unless latency out of Reaper for monitoring is an issue, not really an issue with a mixer with enough routing all recording at once, no overdubs).

Or I can record 4 tracks at once at 5ms to 10ms, no issues, full monitoring out of Reaper, playing back multiple tracks at the same time. Latency low enough for recording, for sure.

I havent started adding effects yet.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #130
maxdembo

Add this and its a 10 MIDI out, USB MIDI, uber clocking device and recorder... https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk006/
Old 03-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #131
foxAsteria

Quote:
The Pi is the size of a credit card. For purely recording hardware, its quite amazing that this is possible.
Yes this is what intrigues me the most. Since my setup can be (almost) entirely mouse-&-screen-free, the smallest footprint possible is ideal.

Incidentally, aren't phones powerful enough for this yet? Or are they too locked down to other communications to willy-nilly run some OS catered to music production on them?

I repurpose old phones as OSC devices, which is great, but some to actually remote record with would be the tits.

Also, do they have an audio I/O version of that? I don't use a bunch of hardware MIDI stuff, but lots of different audio sources. Just a little tank of a brick that had both the computer hardware and audio I/O would be my cup of tea. Well usb and wireless as well...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-19-2021 at 12:11 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #132
maxdembo

Quote:
Yes this is what intrigues me the most. Since my setup can be (almost) entirely mouse-&-screen-free, the smallest footprint possible is ideal.

Incidentally, aren't phones powerful enough for this yet? Or are they too locked down to other communications to willy-nilly run some OS catered to music production on them?

I repurpose old phones as OSC devices, which is great, but some to actually remote record with would be the tits.

Also, do they have an audio I/O version of that? I don't use a bunch of hardware MIDI stuff, but lots of different audio sources.
IIRC, Android is hampered by a flaw in the core of the coding which knackers it for latency, tho you could use one just for the screen or just as an SD card housing, with a Pi. Apple dont have this issue which is why there is a much better audio apps scene with iPads n stuff.

The audio sources thing is called an audio interface, or a mixer ;P (I was looking at the Tascam Model 12, but also now a small 10 channel mixer would work as I can add a computer brain to it myself now with the Pi)

EDIT: Altho, Apple obviously isnt open source, whereas everything Pi is.

Last edited by maxdembo; 03-19-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #133
maxdembo

This is where I'm heading There is a Raspberry Pi 3 in this thing. Thats just one app it has, chucking out MIDI and audio, and its all purely dedicated to music, looping, mangling.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #134
zeekat

I have some killer titles noted in case I have idea for music, lots of it. Like I have a pretty cool tracklist for a coherently titled 5 track EP with a THEME. Now making something that long in a way other than just throwing shit against the wall for a year, that's a challenge. That's how actual musicians must feel.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #135
maxdembo

Quote:
I have some killer titles noted in case I have idea for music, lots of it. Like I have a pretty cool tracklist for a coherently titled 5 track EP with a THEME. Now making something that long in a way other than just throwing shit against the wall for a year, that's a challenge. That's how actual musicians must feel.
Is it all the same title but with fractions added?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:45 AM   #136
zeekat

Fractions are sooo yesterday
Old 04-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #137
maxdembo

Quote:
Fractions are sooo yesterday

So... considering my last The Subharmoniconist was recorded and made in a way that this title hints at, I've had this tab open for a while waiting to watch -

And now he's just posted this, which is again, partly the way I did The Subharmoniconist album -

Old 04-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #138
zeekat

Writing music right into mastering chain must be rampant in electronic circles
Old 04-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #139
foxAsteria

Quote:
Writing music right into mastering chain must be rampant in electronic circles
I find it helpful for any kind of music personally. Well Ok any wyyyrd kind of music like I would do...

Maybe it's just that the more end situations you can get a mix to sound good in, the better it will be overall, but I like to get some "final mix" excitement early on, just for fun, get it working there and then fine tune without the master fx (for sanity purposes). Usually I can then turn the master fx back on and it sound yet again better (which I take as a good sign).
Old 04-09-2021, 03:29 AM   #140
maxdembo

My inspiration for today...

Old 04-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #141
zeekat

Quote:
I find it helpful for any kind of music personally. Well Ok any wyyyrd kind of music like I would do...

Maybe it's just that the more end situations you can get a mix to sound good in, the better it will be overall, but I like to get some "final mix" excitement early on, just for fun, get it working there and then fine tune without the master fx (for sanity purposes). Usually I can then turn the master fx back on and it sound yet again better (which I take as a good sign).
Yeah, unless you try to monitor live with some PDC-heavy plugs it sounds doable and maybe even makes sense with instant effect. But still feels kinda wrong, like building a house starting from the top

Another observation for today - I feel like I have nice big sounds on my hands quite often, and they always end up small and constricted in actual use. This of course points to the obvious mixing truths, but I'm wondering how much of self-sabotage is in it. Coz you don't really HAVE to hide those cool things far behind other elements or demote them to use in least favourite bit of the track. I later listen to reference tracks and think "well I could have that". Coz good tracks have good bits right in yo face.

I might be used to hide the flubs too much and extend it to everything
Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #142
foxAsteria

Quote:
Another observation for today - I feel like I have nice big sounds on my hands quite often, and they always end up small and constricted in actual use.
I encounter that a lot. I hear it a lot in home productions too or even on FM radio. Seems like that's often heavy master compression and then gets choked out when the other elements come in but I guess you don't have to worry about that.

I watched a video of a guy talking about why he thought Steely Dan's Gaucho is such a go-to mix reference. I'm not into Steely Dan, but that record is undeniably well executed. I can't remember exactly, but it sounded like they had a habit of isolating each element in it's own space with nothing sharing the same frequency range or panning positions.

Basically I think it comes down to masking. If something suddenly sounds smaller when another element comes in, they are overlapping in some significant way.

But also, mix reference is handy for exactly that problem of things sounding "great" when not in relation to something else.

@mxd - Wow that's dope! I love Twin Peaks and its soundtrack but I fear ole Mr Lynch might have hung up his coat. Inland Empire was a great one to end on and he did finally return to Twin Peaks, but I'd really hoped we'd see another feature from him... Shame

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-10-2021 at 08:21 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #143
zeekat

That's almost like an arrangement problem, you could go with a big wide sound but go with "meh too obvious", dial it down and it kinda changes the genre of the part. I'm allergic to extreme moves like making things too loud or too wet, or do radical eq-ing. Everything needs to be "balanced" and it's probably not always a good thing.

I barely registered Steely Dan exists and once I started reading mixing places on the internet turns out they're everywhere.

Quote:
The album's mixing sessions proved to be just as difficult as the recording sessions. It took Becker, Fagen, Nichols and Katz more than 55 attempts to complete a satisfactory mix of the 50-second fade-out of "Babylon Sisters".[5][24]
Quote:
According to Ken Micallef in an article in Modern Drummer, the title song's drum track was assembled from 46 different takes. The drummer on the session, Jeff Porcaro, is quoted as saying:

"From noon till six we'd play the tune over and over and over again, nailing each part. We'd go to dinner and come back and start recording. They made everybody play like their life depended on it. But they weren't gonna keep anything anyone else played that night, no matter how tight it was. All they were going for was the drum track."[27]
Damn that sounds unhealthy
Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #144
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'm allergic to extreme moves like making things too loud or too wet, or do radical eq-ing. Everything needs to be "balanced"
But you can do something extreme and still balance it with what comes next. Gotta balance the balance with some imbalance or else it's just homogeneous.

Same like the root note is called "home." You can't just stay there all the time or it gets boring. If you leave for too long, you get homesick. Good thing too, otherwise we'd have one-note solos for all time.

But if I had to play my song over and over all day with a bunch of other folks waiting on that magic take, I'd be pretty wrought with self doubt by the end of it. I wonder what those sessions were like. Everyone's just on the same page of relentless perfectionism or snorting piles of coke? Whatever works I guess.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:39 AM   #145
maxdembo

Quote:
@mxd - Wow that's dope! I love Twin Peaks and its soundtrack but I fear ole Mr Lynch might have hung up his coat. Inland Empire was a great one to end on and he did finally return to Twin Peaks, but I'd really hoped we'd see another feature from him... Shame
I think getting the financing and distribution is just a bit of a non starter these days, unless its going to sell or one has the energy for the constant struggle and hustle to keep things afloat. At his age, and with some of the hassles hes had in that regard, I'd switch to a cheaper art form for sure

His youtube channel is enough for me atm, his weather report and number of the day

Plus I'm in the middle of a Twin Peaks rewatch. We're kinda mid season 2 atm, and I just cant wait to get it out of the way, and get to the meat of FWWM, and The Return (which will be only the second time I've seen it). And lets face it, The Return is like 4+ pure Lynch movies. Episode 8 is just the most incredible piece of 'TV' I've ever seen

Back slightly to being on topic...

EDIT: That Twin Peaks album is my first listen and experience of Xiu Xiu, and this makes it sound like I shall be listening to more of them. Its been a while since I entertained hellish noise...

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-11-2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #146
foxAsteria

Ooo nice! Be sure to take lots of samples if you're rewatching all that... tons of gold in there if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #147
maxdembo

Quote:
Ooo nice! Be sure to take lots of samples if you're rewatching all that... tons of gold in there if you're into that sort of thing.
Its strange relating to the first time I watched Twin Peaks. Season 1 I watched when it first aired in the UK, on a tiny tiny 'portable' black and white tv with an adjustable ring aerial. Probably about 7 of us crowded round this tiny screen, barely being able to hear the soundtrack.

Watching it now, fully remastered and in HD, is quite cool

And along with FWWM, there is also now the FWWM: The Missing Pieces, and extra movie length edit by Lynch of out takes, alternate takes etc, of stuff he had to take out of the theatrical release of FWWM due to run time demands by the financiers.

So after season 2, its FWWM, then FWWM: The Missing Pieces, which I've never seen.

EDIT: I got a real indication...

EDIT 2: My idea for a Twin Peaks project was one track/jam per episode, using only samples from that episode. Obviously, I failed majorly. But now I have the Norns Shield in the house (look it up, its an awesome device), and I've started digesting what its scripts can do, I have more chance of making something (not factoring in the obvious horseshit of never getting anything done).

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-11-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #148
foxAsteria

Quote:
And along with FWWM, there is also now the FWWM: The Missing Pieces, and extra movie length edit by Lynch of out takes, alternate takes etc, of stuff he had to take out of the theatrical release of FWWM due to run time demands by the financiers.
Ah waaow! That I didn't know! Happy Unbirthday to meeee!

I think I got you beat though... My first 2 times watching were bootlegged DivX off of Dutch TV with quality so bad that no one's face was discernible unless it was filling the whole screen with its 1/2" pixels. Might as well have been a radio broadcast

Last time thru was on "DVD" which was bootlegged off of VHS. Guess it's about time for an HD rewatch except I've been on such a hate streak with everything lately, I'd rather not risk ruining the lofi memories.

I was also planning myself to do that same sample idea with The Wizard of Oz, The Neverending Story (but also incorporating the soundtrack as a medley), and The Exorcist for half my life but haven't started any of them (suprising no one). Every episode of TP would be insane but you should try for at least one TP tribute...
Old 04-12-2021, 02:32 AM   #149
maxdembo

Quote:
Ah waaow! That I didn't know! Happy Unbirthday to meeee!

I think I got you beat though... My first 2 times watching were bootlegged DivX off of Dutch TV with quality so bad that no one's face was discernible unless it was filling the whole screen with its 1/2" pixels. Might as well have been a radio broadcast

Last time thru was on "DVD" which was bootlegged off of VHS. Guess it's about time for an HD rewatch except I've been on such a hate streak with everything lately, I'd rather not risk ruining the lofi memories.

I was also planning myself to do that same sample idea with The Wizard of Oz, The Neverending Story (but also incorporating the soundtrack as a medley), and The Exorcist for half my life but haven't started any of them (suprising no one). Every episode of TP would be insane but you should try for at least one TP tribute...
Dude... DO IT! Last time I did a rewatch was about ten years ago. I finished about three fucking weeks before they released it all in HD The DVD copies were nigh on unwatchable. My friend tried to watch his DVD's too and actually just couldnt do it, the sound and picture were so terrible (we are very spoiled these days), and now, watching it in HD is a fucking revelation. Its beautiful. Perfect sound, perfect picture.

We're on episode 5 of season 2 so you have time to catch up and join us, we watch every friday night because we are rock n roll

YAY! You got your wish of a new David Lynch movie, sort of, with The Missing Pieces

The one jam per episode plan was going to be pure jam and nothing else. Maybe jam for half an hour or more and then pluck out any tiny moment that works, or more if it was there, but do no post production. I couldnt quite figure it out tho, as a process, and didnt really get very far trying either.

I think I have some ideas now that I have the Norns Shield tho.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #150
maxdembo

Twin Peaks project starts by the end of today.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #151
maxdembo

Just editing down a 20 minute jam to about 5 minutes of video jam to upload. Using a little device I got thru the post this week.

Good monkey shit jam forthcoming forthwith!
Old 04-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #152
zeekat

Current project is recovering soundcloud access, looks like since yesterday sc always thinks I'm a robot and locks me out. Nice.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:22 AM   #153
RJHollins

Just finished my experimental build of 2 TUBE Traps.

They're 4ft tall, 12in diameter.

1/2 side absorbs, other 1/2 reflects. [1-1/2 in holes in alternating, symmetric spacing.

Filled with fluffy insulation, and covered in 1 inch batten.

I may end up finishing them in a breathable fabric ... but the important part is testing.

Have them set up in the back wall of the Control Room.

Incoming bass is first absorbed ... bounce off wall hit back of TUBES and is diffused/scattered.

Following the Lecture by the original Designer/Acoustician, and monitoring several DIY builds ... I reasoned the 'best' design ideas and implementation.

Must say ... they do provide a different form of treatment, and seem to compliment the array of BroadBand, Chunky Corner, and Ceiling Clouds already in place.

For this experiment ... cost was about $25 per TUBE. Once I located the material ... I build them over a course of a week.

Hey ... we're still in quasi Lockdown ... I needed to do something else to break the monotony. :| ... and it can be fun building things.

Side benefit ... it encouraged me to get my Workshop a better setup and organized.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #154
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Just finished my experimental build of 2 TUBE Traps.

They're 4ft tall, 12in diameter.

1/2 side absorbs, other 1/2 reflects. [1-1/2 in holes in alternating, symmetric spacing.

Filled with fluffy insulation, and covered in 1 inch batten.

I may end up finishing them in a breathable fabric ... but the important part is testing.

Have them set up in the back wall of the Control Room.

Incoming bass is first absorbed ... bounce off wall hit back of TUBES and is diffused/scattered.

Following the Lecture by the original Designer/Acoustician, and monitoring several DIY builds ... I reasoned the 'best' design ideas and implementation.

Must say ... they do provide a different form of treatment, and seem to compliment the array of BroadBand, Chunky Corner, and Ceiling Clouds already in place.

For this experiment ... cost was about $25 per TUBE. Once I located the material ... I build them over a course of a week.

Hey ... we're still in quasi Lockdown ... I needed to do something else to break the monotony. :| ... and it can be fun building things.

Side benefit ... it encouraged me to get my Workshop a better setup and organized.
Wrong thread?

Anyway, new jam...!

Old 04-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #155
RJHollins

sorry ... isn't this the general 'Procrastination' thread ?
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #156
zeekat

Quote:
Wrong thread?

Anyway, new jam...!

Nice editing! How's the entire setup working, what is actually sequencing what here?

There should be complimentary digital pencil to manipulate teh T-APE
Old 04-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #157
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
sorry ... isn't this the general 'Procrastination' thread ?
Ha! Yes thats fine I just thought seeing as I'd seen you talk about this in a studio bass traps thread that maybe you'd mis-posted

No worries at all, you procrastinate here all you want buddy

The idea of the thread is more about setting dates/deadlines for getting any thing musical done tho

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-25-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #158
maxdembo

Quote:
Nice editing! How's the entire setup working, what is actually sequencing what here?

There should be complimentary digital pencil to manipulate teh T-APE
I have actually asked for such a thing already. I do find the circular 'tape winding mechanism' dials a little tricky to handle.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #159
maxdembo

Quote:
So...

Video... The edits are purely dictated by where my thumb with a dirt under the finger nail appeared. I didnt notice it while filming and then couldnt take my eyes off how vile it looked while watching the video back So every time it appeared, I spliced in some random sci-fi film from my 'movies to sample' folder Then the film kept getting copyright claimed on youtube, so I duplicated the video tracks in Reaper, and blended one with a basic posterise effect, and the real one and uploaded a few times until YouTube couldnt see it any more.

Technically, nothing is actually being synced here, in terms of audio or midi. The drums from the PO's is all in mono, timed live (theres a latency within Norns that I'm having to try and make up for when I press play on them). The POs are just running some beats I've been chaining together over the last few weeks/months, so its just me pressing play with my human latency compensation

Everything in stereo with no reverb is T-APE (most of the sound tbh), going into Norns live. Norns is mostly just adding compression and distortion.

The only thing with heavy reverb is the Norns script Barcode, a granular delay - https://norns.community/authors/infinitedigits/barcode which tbh, isnt doing much. Im just hitting its sample buffer to record one beat, one hit of the beat, at a time, rarely.

Slighty hidden is that its a 30+ minute jam, edited down with harsh edits/cuts to 5 minutes. Norns is set at 120, the Pocket Operators are set to 60bpm, and T-APE is at 120bpm. Reaper was set to 120. Recorded to stereo in Reaper. Video recorded on my Samsung S5.

This made editing a bit easier. All done very quick and dirty in one day, so all 'mistakes' are baked in. Only a bit of EQ and limiting in Reaper. Very rough and ready.

EDIT: The edits in the track/video are so quick and dirty, and so rudimentary, I didnt even move any sections around. The track is still in chronological order if that makes sense? Its still all in the same order it was performed in.

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-25-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #160
zeekat

And my money was on norns being the hero. Impressive if manually synced, leds on a cassette made me think something here must be outputting clock signal.