Old 04-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Distressor
Human being with feelings

Default Send via OSC

Is it possible to send custom OSC messages via script?
This would be great for deeper integration of control surfaces.

In particular i am looking for a way to send the arrange zoom level to my DIY controller.
OSC would be the easiest.

The current OSC implementation is good but i'd love to be able to control so much more.
Distressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distressor View Post
The current OSC implementation is good but i'd love to be able to control so much more.
agreed. i wish every param had its corresponding osc message. i know it'd be a pain to thoroughly implement, but the control surface possibilities are worth it.

here's a summary of what i do in order to sneak out OSC messages from REAPER when they don't exist in the protocol. in this use case, i wanted my launchpad to indicate whether input quantize was enabled or not.

i created a track (whose track # may not change) with a dummy js with a couple of sliders, and then wrote a script that searched for that track by name, checked a slider, and toggles it to either 0 or 1. this script also toggles input quantize.

in reaper's OSC config, i enabled the track fx param messages. in Bidule, i capture them, filtering out other track fx param messages, and interpret those messages to do what i want them to do with my launchpad LEDs

a bit roundabout, but once you figure it out it gets easier.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
mschnell

I did this by sending Midi messages via LoopMidi to OSCIIBot to have it generate the appropriate OSC messages.

In fact it would make sense to have OSCIIBot as a Reaper extension that provides a Midi device towards the Reaper project, and maybe also might allow the OSCIIBot script to directly access the Reaper API.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Distressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I did this by sending Midi messages via LoopMidi to OSCIIBot to have it generate the appropriate OSC messages.
My DIY controller accepts both so midi would be ok as well.
If someone has an idea how to send the arrange zoom level via midi that would also help a lot.

@mccrabney
I've done workarounds like yours as well in the past but i am really trying to make it a bit cleaner this time.
Distressor is offline   Reply With Quote