Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 AM   #41
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
The font is exactly the same, but its placement is closer to the event in R6, which makes it harder to see. Yep, needs adjusting.
The font is the same, but it doesn’t seem antialiased anymore in v6.

Edit: sonicowl beat me to it.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #42
mccrabney

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: refresh open editors after changing default MIDI note colormap
would be nice if (all) other changes to midi editor could refresh open editors: for example, "Options: Avoid automatically setting MIDI items from other tracks editable"

i would love to be able to toggle this from an open MIDI editor without having to close/reopenit
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #43
deeb

i couldn't be able to test the new modifier.
I have asked something related at some point! "drag loop points".
At first i thought it was this feature , but i guess it's something different.
feature request: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219889

The audible result would be how this is represented:
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #44
EvilDragon

You can already drag loop points however you want, but you have to unsync loop from time selection. There's an action for that.

EDIT: Ah, you're basically talking about the same thing Vagelis mentioned in post #20. Being able to change the loop source length by dragging on the loop separator, rather than item's edge - while also retaining item length. True, that'd be a nice mouse modifier. Plus we can already do it with MIDI items, so it'd make things more consistent.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #45
ovnis

Issue : in 6.0, the dock or menu icone has two pixels. In 5.8, there is only one pixel.

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #46
deeb

yes, but changing the loop source length as a result of changing the loop start or loop end . I think...
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #47
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Unfortunately the feature will be a bit hidden, because the default mouse modifiers for media item edge are aready allocated for all standard key combinations.

I think it might be a good idea to have a mode panel, to make default modifier change according to selected mode. So that: User clicks in Mode 1, and modifier default according to that mode. Example: User Clicks Area Selection Mode, modifier defaults to area selection, User clicks Mode Delete, modifier defaults to delete, and so on.

Also, .. Different icons / mouse pointers for each modifier is really needed (for me at least), since at this point (too) manny modifiers have exactly same mouse pointer which does not help us to know what we are doing until we do (and see we made the wrong mouse modifier)
Old 12-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #48
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alez156 View Post
I am with you here. I was trying to find a commit option. And as soon as I switched to entire item the whole thing gets destroyed. Not fun
I'm not quite following this. Can you give an example of when switching the entire range/time selection dropdown immediately overwrites CC data?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #49
Edison

[QUOTE=Otto Tune;2210707]v6.0+dev1204 - December 4 2019

[*]+ Mouse modifiers: add modifiers to adjust loop section start/end

Hi, Otto!

The blue window texts are only translated in the 'Actions' in the Mouse Modifiers not yet enabled for translation. See pic.

Thanks

Last edited by Edison; 05-18-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #50
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
would be nice if (all) other changes to midi editor could refresh open editors: for example, "Options: Avoid automatically setting MIDI items from other tracks editable"

i would love to be able to toggle this from an open MIDI editor without having to close/reopenit
Yes, I second this. Very much needed. My midi editor always stays open on a second screen and there are a lot of us working this way.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #51
Alez156

Quote:
I'm not quite following this. Can you give an example of when switching the entire range/time selection dropdown immediately overwrites CC data?
As soon as I open the LFO window, it just overwrites all my previous CC data. And even switching from entire item to time selection, the damage is done.
It is destructive right away which makes it difficult to use and you have to undo every time

Alez156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #52
Vagelis

Quote:
EDIT: Ah, you're basically talking about the same thing Vagelis mentioned in post #20. Being able to change the loop source length by dragging on the loop separator, rather than item's edge - while also retaining item length. True, that'd be a nice mouse modifier. Plus we can already do it with MIDI items, so it'd make things more consistent.
I very hope so Ed!! Thanks for explaining it nicely, my english is bad... In post 38 I showed also the advantage of this when we split the looped item which give us the flexibility to change the loop source length for each item that we split individually, while retaining their length.

The new modifier is awesome to adjust a new loop length, just needs to reset the previous length when we start a new one.

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #53
ovnis

Quote:
And even switching from entire item to time selection
CC envelope item could fix this issue.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #54
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I think it might be a good idea to have a mode panel, to make default modifier change according to selected mode. So that: User clicks in Mode 1, and modifier default according to that mode. Example: User Clicks Area Selection Mode, modifier defaults to area selection, User clicks Mode Delete, modifier defaults to delete, and so on.
Maybe a media item edge bottom half context for the new loop modifier?!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #55
deeb

Vagelis: are you sure you quoted the right part ?
hmm in terms of user experience would be maybe better if we had a new mouse modifier context like in the feature request gif i did. Because we would be clicking in what we want to move/adjust.

fr: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219889
Old 12-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #56
Vagelis

Ah I was referring to Schwa’s answer. Now I see what you mean, but personally I think if we can see and drag the markers as we can do with midi there’s no need for a new modifier.
Dragging the markers would change the section length. Except if you mean to drag individually it’s section , so each section has different length. which I don’t know how could be done except by splitting the item at the section we want and then to drag the marker to adjust a new section length to the item we split.

Edit: also I think this way to loop parts is way better than ableton because in ableton You can loop the item but can’t change the looped sections length.

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #57
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Ah I was referring to Schwa’s answer. Now I see what you mean, but personally I think if we can see and drag the markers as we can do with midi there’s no need for a new modifier.
What you mean by markers in an audio item?

In midi we can do it in the editor but since for Audio items we have no editor, it should be done in the project ... like everything related with audio items editing. (indeed an editor would be much better tho IMO)
Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #58
Vagelis

If you loop a midi item and show the inline editor you can see those markers-lines where you can change the loop length on the arrange. If we could see them also above the audio items it would be awesome.(as markers or thin lines) check post 20 and 38
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #59
deeb

i get it! yehh indeed this way would be nice too. But maybe would be a bit too much markers if each item markers are being shown? Anyway! the idea is given back to topic
Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #60
Zeno

Quote:
As soon as I open the LFO window, it just overwrites all my previous CC data. And even switching from entire item to time selection, the damage is done.
It is destructive right away which makes it difficult to use and you have to undo every time

WOW! CC LFO? Is that an external script? Where do I get it?
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #61
EvilDragon

It's built into Reaper now. If you'd read the changelog, you'd have known that
Old 12-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #62
Zeno

Quote:
It's built into Reaper now. If you'd read the changelog, you'd have known that
Okay, I don't see this feature on the cc panel context. I can't find it in the action-list either.

Edit: ok, now its there. Strange

Last edited by Zeno; 12-05-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #63
dupont

CC curve point in not obvious to add and edit.
Can we have a mouse modifier to add a CC point with a single click instead of drag click ?

Also select and move a CC point should be improved.
Why sometimes when I move a point, a part of the curve is also selected ?
CC point move is jerky.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #64
dupont

Quote:

Yes, a commit option should be added.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #65
juliansader

I was pleasantly surprised to notice that dedicated video processor items received an update since I last used them. (I can't find any mention of this in the changelogs?)

They can now handle multiple FXs in its chain, and these can be controlled by take envelopes, as I requested last year: Take FX-like automation of dedicated video processor items.

It seems that video processor items are now actually MIDI items "under the hood".

Two suggestions:

* At present, double-clicking on a video processor items doesn't seem to do anything. I suggest that double clicking should open the FX chain, thereby showing the video FX code.

* Since video processor items don't actually contain MIDI or waveforms to display inside the item in the arrange view, perhaps they can list the FX chain, almost like a text item?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #66
ivansc

Put this in the bugs section. Prolly better here.
TCP if I have a figure greater than plus or minus 9.99 showing in the level figure. The current V6 in default layout truncates (for example) the -13.70dB to read -13.70dE
As soon as I change the -13 to -9 all is well.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #67
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Tune View Post
[*]+ Takes: implode items into takes only if at least half of the item overlaps [p=2207040]
It is good that imploding is receiving some updates. I think that many of the complaints regarding takes and splitting can be addressed by a smarter imploding action: Users can record in free item positioning without splitting, edit the items as desired, and then implode them into a multi-take comp. Or they can receive new recordings by email, and simply implode the new files into existing comps.

Imploding still does not work well, unfortunately, particularly if empty items are involved, or if the items are not precisely aligned.

Imploding and exploding should mirror each other. At present, empty takes explode into gaps that cannot be imploded again. This image shows items before exploding, after exploding, and after re-imploding in v6.0:

When imploding a full-length item onto an item with splits, the same splits should be applied to the full-length item. At present, some weird stuff happens:
Before:

How the imploded items should look:

How it looks in v6.0:

When items aren't perfectly aligned, they can either be padded with silence or with empty takes before imploding, but their relative alignment must always be maintained. This image shows items before imploding, after imploding in v6.0, and how the items should be imploded (in case empty takes are used):

Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #68
musicbynumbers

+ Mouse modifiers: add modifiers to adjust loop section start/end

This is great thanks!

Probably been asked for but..

Could we have a mouse modifier to "Slip" the contents of the looped area around too?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #69
RCJacH

I just noticed today that the mouse modifier for changing CC curves does not work on unselected CC events in 14-bit CC lanes. I think when no cc event is selected, mouse modifier for changing cc curve adjust the latest point rather than the point/curve under mouse.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #70
Triode

Default Theme diversion

[/QUOTE]

Sorry off-topic

What theme is that?! Is it Logic Next? - with that input/record double button? I'd like to know

Excuse me, back to main discusssion
Old 12-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #71
todd_r

Will the LFO tool be added to automation lanes too?
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #72
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Sorry off-topic

What theme is that?! Is it Logic Next? - with that input/record double button? I'd like to know

Excuse me, back to main discusssion[/QUOTE]

No worries! it is Logic V2.5 by blankfiles. I am also using a custom midi colormap which I attached btw! I remember i tweaked it from one that I found on the stash I think. I think it looks pretty awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: png midi_note_colormap.png (7.8 KB, 158 views)
Alez156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #73
Tod

Quote:
The font is exactly the same, but its placement is closer to the event in R6, which makes it harder to see. Yep, needs adjusting.
Thanks as always ED, but if you look close, there are less pixels in the R6 then in the R5, and your right, they are too close together, it can be difficult to tell an E from a B.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #74
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Will the LFO tool be added to automation lanes too?
It already exists for automation items... for quite some time now.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #75
todd_r

Quote:
It already exists for automation items... for quite some time now.
🤦*♂️ Doh!
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:11 AM   #76
Vagelis

I love the swing function in cc lfo! It would be very nice if we had for AI as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #77
HighVoltage

In LFO tool Frequency setting does not save correctly with presets.

Edit:

I see the Length is linked to the current Grid setting, and Freq is dependent on that. I'm not sure this is ideal though.

Also:
Length box should be enabled for scroll wheel like the rest of the dropdown boxes
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #78
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Tune View Post
[*]+ Stretch markers: preserve beat-based positions of stretch markers when item timebase is beats (position, length, rate)
Should this actually refer to timebase = auto-stretch?

Copy/pasting of items with timebase = auto-stretch to positions with different tempos now seems to work well, even if the items contain user-inserted stretch markers -- but only if the tempos are all square.

When tempo changes are linear, timebase=auto-stretch doesn't apply slopes to the user-inserted stretch markers, so items have a hodgepodge of sloped and flat stretch segments.

The slope lines of auto-generated stretch markers are sometimes still not easily visible unless the arrange view is zoomed in very close (using new default theme).
Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #79
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Should this actually refer to timebase = auto-stretch?
This is a general fix for either timebase. Previously the beat-based positions of stretch markers were not preserved when copy/pasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
When tempo changes are linear, timebase=auto-stretch doesn't apply slopes to the user-inserted stretch markers, so items have a hodgepodge of sloped and flat stretch segments.
It's not obvious what the right behavior is in that case. If the user has applied a stretch marker slope manually, should the auto-stretch timebase override it?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #80
juliansader

Quote:
It's not obvious what the right behavior is in that case. If the user has applied a stretch marker slope manually, should the auto-stretch timebase override it?
If a user wishes to preserve slopes, the old timebase = Beats (P,L&R) may be more appropriate.

If the new auto-stretch timebase doesn't apply slopes, audio will not properly align with MIDI and the grid.

As an example:

In this image the audio to the left is manually stretched, as in many projects before auto-stretch. If auto-stretch is applied, and the items are copied to the right (below the sloped tempo changes), the auto and MIDI become misaligned, because only flat SMs are applied. The bottom item is how I would recommend the timebase to work, with sloped SMs.

(This image also shows that the slopes of some of the auto-SMs are not visible.)

P.S. It would also be useful if, when switching from timebase=auto-stretch to another timebase, the auto-generated SMs are preserved, so that timing doesn't change. Perhaps REAPER can pop up a dialog box to ask whether the auto-SM should be preserved, similar to how REAPER asks whether to maintain timing when switching *to* auto-stretch