Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #41
ferropop
Human being with feelings

If discrete lanes are happening, can we get Solo per lane? As in, solo without regard to active take.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #42
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
If discrete lanes are happening, can we get Solo per lane? As in, solo without regard to active take.
We do have actions to solo/unsolo selected items which works well but I wouldn't say no to lane solo. It might be hard to implement though.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #43
Yanick

It also looks like you need to add an API to find the lane under the mouse cursor, for example
Code:
number_lane = reaper.GetTrackMediaLaneFromPoint(track, x_pos, y_pos)
reaper.SetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, 'IP_LANENUMBER', number_lane)
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #44
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
In today's episode of "WTF mate?!":
Yes! I have the same visual bug.
And sometimes i can see only 2 outputs from take fx, when there are more and sound pass through.
These channels become view after reopen routing vindow or hitting play.

But scrollbars are glitching more then I can describe.

Also multichannel plugins sometimes have such strange default mapping:

+ add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels
This option can't be saved with plugin presets. That force you to check it every time.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #45
Reflected

This mapper is only for surround stuff?

could you please make it possible to "map" (route) plugins in parallel inside a track?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #46
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
We do have actions to solo/unsolo selected items which works well but I wouldn't say no to lane solo. It might be hard to implement though.
Heh yeah, if the long goal with this is implementing swipe/zone comping, it's essential to be able to audition takes fully irrespective of the comp dice-up.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #47
Yanick

You also need an API for the track, for eaxmple
Code:
lanes = 2 -- or any number
reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(track, "NUMBER_OF_LANES", lanes)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #48
Yanick

Although you can still implement it like this
Code:
 reaper.MoveMediaItemToTrack( item, desttr, number_of_lanes ) 
  -- number_of_lanes = -1 for last unused lane or single lane
Old 03-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #49
PhelixK

Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you, this is MacOS' quirk and mygod it was a painful one, the number of terrible situations this caused. A gigantic improvement guys.
Hi, sorry, what was / are the issues, and the problem of having full screen in both native and OS?
I use double display, and haven’t had any trouble with Reaper main or detached windows in OS full screen.

Now, with Reaper always in native FS, it doesn’t use macOS Spaces, to be swiped by default. It can still be arranged like that, but not smart.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #50
PhelixK

Quote:
# Theme tweak dialog: increase column width for on/off, blend mode, and font options
? I don’t see any changes in sizes and columns on dialogs, are these changes for mac as well?

Btw, the list in the Tweaker can be scrolled horizontally, maybe take it off:

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-04-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #51
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, sorry, what was / are the issues, and the problem of having full screen in both native and OS?
I use double display, and haven’t had any trouble with Reaper main or detached windows in OS full screen.

Now, with Reaper always in native FS, it doesn’t use macOS Spaces, to be swiped by default. It can still be arranged like that, but not smart.
1. If you had an undocked plugin window and you happened to open it (even once) before going full-screen, it would switch to the other desktop every time you tried inserting a plugin. There was no real way to reliably "gather" the two back to the same space without restarting Reaper.

2. The inability to have a Finder window open overtop full-screen Reaper. Especially a problem given the "promised file" issue on MacOS where you can't drop an on-the-fly rendered item (Command-Option-Drag) into a plugin. The workaround is to render in-place, use an action to "Open media in Finder/explorer", be forced to the other space just for the Finder window, then dragging the file back into Reaper across spaces, which doesn't always work.

Such a simple thing made outrageously messy.

3. Haven't tested this yet, but certain key commands were blocked when in fullscreen unless you had first clicked on the Reaper window. ie, I have "Open/Close MIDI Editor" mapped to Shift-M, and depending on the situation you'd get the "DYONGG" error sound when using that shortcut in fullscreen, because focus was for some reason no longer on Reaper.

Just a quick list.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #52
PhelixK

Quote:
1. If you had an undocked plugin window and you happened to open it (even once) before going full-screen, it would switch to the other desktop every time you tried inserting a plugin. There was no real way to reliably "gather" the two back to the same space without restarting Reaper.
hm, I just tried this using 6.24 OS full screen, and this doesn't happen here with floating UIs

Quote:
2. The inability to have a Finder window open overtop full-screen Reaper. Especially a problem given the "promised file" issue on MacOS where you can't drop an on-the-fly rendered item (Command-Option-Drag) into a plugin. The workaround is to render in-place, use an action to "Open media in Finder/explorer", be forced to the other space just for the Finder window, then dragging the file back into Reaper across spaces, which doesn't always work.

Such a simple thing made outrageously messy.
I agree, however for this scenario we could still use native full screen.

Quote:
3. Haven't tested this yet, but certain key commands were blocked when in fullscreen unless you had first clicked on the Reaper window. ie, I have "Open/Close MIDI Editor" mapped to Shift-M, and depending on the situation you'd get the "DYONGG" error sound when using that shortcut in fullscreen, because focus was for some reason no longer on Reaper.
Yes, some key combos are probably a bad choice, IF you want to take full advantage of the OS features.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #53
PhelixK

Quote:
Hi, I'm just trying to understand, this example showing a change to OS full screen, would make the second inserted Fx open on second screen, or elsewhere?

Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #54
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Heh yeah, if the long goal with this is implementing swipe/zone comping, it's essential to be able to audition takes fully irrespective of the comp dice-up.
Swipe comping would be great
Old 03-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #55
deeb

maybe devs could open a little bit the purpose and goal if any!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #56
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
This mapper is only for surround stuff?

could you please make it possible to "map" (route) plugins in parallel inside a track?
It does in the sense that a stereo item can be sent to say outs 1/2,3/4 and 5/6 identically and then you can place 3 fx and use the new routing to have all 3 fx in parallel (as an example).
Old 03-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #57
ferropop

Quote:
Hi, I'm just trying to understand, this example showing a change to OS full screen, would make the second inserted Fx open on second screen, or elsewhere?

Sorry PhelixK to clarify, I mean the actual plugin browser window undocked. I believe it also applied to actual plugin windows you would have opened before going fullscreen, but 100% for sure I struggled with the undocked plugin browser issue for years.

My main studio is a PC (Win 10) but I use my MBPro for writing camps and offsite sessions (Airdrop!), so I'm well too aware of the discrepancies in Reaper between the two operating systems. It's definitely a MacOS thing when it comes to most of the quirks/differences.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #58
ferropop

Also trying to LiceCap a full screen space on MacOS was definitely an issue...

Last edited by ferropop; 03-04-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #59
ferropop

MacOS (all versions):

1. I show "Toggle Mixer Visible" works fine
2. I show "Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows" works fine
3. I run Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows and Toggle Mixer Visible back to back (from hotkeys)
4. You see that Toggle Mixer Visible stops responding to the hotkey after one cycle. On my end I hear a CLUNK sound, as if the focus is no longer on Reaper and the OS is complaining about an invalid key combination.
5. I click back on Reaper and it allows me one more cycle of Toggle Mixer Visible, then same issue.

Running these actions from the Action List works fine.

Mappings:

Shift-M - Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows
Command-M - Toggle Mixer Visible
Old 03-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #60
PhelixK

Quote:

MacOS (all versions):

1. I show "Toggle Mixer Visible" works fine
2. I show "Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows" works fine
3. I run Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows and Toggle Mixer Visible back to back (from hotkeys)
4. You see that Toggle Mixer Visible stops responding to the hotkey after one cycle. On my end I hear a CLUNK sound, as if the focus is no longer on Reaper and the OS is complaining about an invalid key combination.
5. I click back on Reaper and it allows me one more cycle of Toggle Mixer Visible, then same issue.

Running these actions from the Action List works fine.

Mappings:

Shift-M - Toggle Show MIDI Editor Windows
Command-M - Toggle Mixer Visible
right, I see now, the un-docked fx browser moves working space when in OS full screen, though it can be brought back by re-docking/un-docking, no need to restart Reaper, and same with the Explorer window.

I use [shift]+[M] for the track manager, it doesn't seem to interfere with the OS, I mean if this doesn't trigger an alert sound, then I believe it's an issue with the MiDi Editor Window. Anyway, the chances of setting up shortcut combinations that will conflict is probably pretty high.

And yes, certainly there are differences in Reaper for different systems. Still, I think it's a regression to take away the optional macOS full screen feature. At least to me it's convenient having quick access to different two-screen working spaces, e.g. secondary DAW, video+preview.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #61
ferropop

Quote:
right, I see now, the un-docked fx browser moves working space when in OS full screen, though it can be brought back by re-docking/un-docking, no need to restart Reaper, and same with the Explorer window.

I use [shift]+[M] for the track manager, it doesn't seem to interfere with the OS, I mean if this doesn't trigger an alert sound, then I believe it's an issue with the MiDi Editor Window. Anyway, the chances of setting up shortcut combinations that will conflict is probably pretty high.

And yes, certainly there are differences in Reaper for different systems. Still, I think it's a regression to take away the optional macOS full screen feature. At least to me it's convenient having quick access to different two-screen working spaces, e.g. secondary DAW, video+preview.
Agreed mang, just pointing out the effects of the change.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:47 AM   #62
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Swipe comping would be great
I agree, but this is also very related to Cubase track lanes. I would love if we had an option to mute the overlapping parts of the items on lanes.
This was my bread and butter for editing in Cubase for years and i'm missing a lot since i started using Reaper..
I think people would find it very useful if they would try because you can apply any edit on the item (stretch,split,move,delete) and choose the correct part very fast.
Also great for experimenting with different sound sources and combine.

A small example of track lanes in Cubase 5
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:09 AM   #63
deeb

^ thank you Vagelis for taking the time! i like . i like!
Old 08-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #64
Embass

+ Media items: draw peaks affected by take mute envelope as faint, rather than zeroed out

Was this removed in later versions?
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote