Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #1
TOONEW
Human being with feelings

Default How to import file from reaper folder into reaper?

My questions are so simple, that they don't show up in a search on the forum, or google.

I imported a prerecorded file into Reaper, and saved it.

Now days later, I would like to open that file in reaper to use it.

How do I do that?
TOONEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
jnorman34

It may have saved it to “reaper media”, a folder which is located in your documents folder in windows. The folder should already contain an rpp file if you saved it - just double click on it to open the project. Otherwise, do a search of your drive for the file name to find the rpp file.
When you start a new project, and name it, there is a little box below you should check that creates a reaper folder for the project and moves all your audio files and project settings (rpp file) into it.

Last edited by jnorman34; 01-25-2022 at 06:55 PM.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOONEW View Post
My questions are so simple, that they don't show up in a search on the forum, or google.

I imported a prerecorded file into Reaper, and saved it.

Now days later, I would like to open that file in reaper to use it.

How do I do that?
Do you know where the file is?

If not, you can try clicking on "File" In the menu and look for "Recent Projects", it could show up there.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:22 AM   #4
Peterk312

I think you should start by looking in the REAPER project folder for the specific project to see if the media file (what you call a "prerecorded file") is actually in there.

When you import a media file, it doesn't get saved in the project folder unless you save the project again with the same name (i.e., overwrite the project) or manually move the media file to the project folder. Otherwise, REAPER remembers where the file is on your computer, leaves the file there and creates a .reapeaks file in the same folder (unless you change options).

My new artist website - https://peterflaire.com
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
TOONEW

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to save it correctly, according to the instructions some of you have described.

When I say a prerecorded file, I have a song from youtube, with the bass removed. And I play along with it. And I saved it into a folder.

It has occurred to me, that I could phrase my question much more accurately.

Can I move the file from the folder, back to Reaper?

Will it make a new file each time?

I don't want a new file.

I just want to move the file to Reaper, and back to the folder, when I'm done with it.

If it is possible to move the file back into Reaper, how do I do that?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
TOONEW

I am able to locate the file in the folder Reaper created.

My question is, can I move it from the folder to Reaper?

I assume cut and paste will work.

My question is will it keep making a new file every time I move it into Reaper?

I don't want that.

If it does, then is the delete button going to delete the file from the computer?

I was using undo, when I was done with the prerecorded file, and later found that the files did not delete, but stored in a folder.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
jnorman34

I can tell from your questions you are quite confused.

If all you want to do is play the music from YouTube so you can play along with it, you don’t need to open it in reaper - just play the wav/MP3 in your player of choice.

If you want to edit the music in reaper, such as record your playing along with the original and mix them together, you want to create a reaper project. This would involve opening reaper, open a new blank project, and import the music file (it sounds like you have gotten this far, so if you see a file in the folder that has an “rpp” extension, you can just select that and it will open in reaper automatically.)

Once that is done, click on the file menu and select “save project as”. Type in a name for your project, and below that, check the little box that says “create subdirectory for project”. below that another box will already be checked that says “move all media into project directory”.

When you save the project, reaper will create an rpp file that stores all your project settings, the audio you imported, and all the changes you make to it. At this point, you do not need to worry about where the file is - reaper knows where it is. You can open reaper, look under the file menu at “recent projects” and your project name will show up there - just select it, and reaper will open the project for you with all audio and changes you have made to it.

I hope this is clear, but if not, just ask more questions - we are happy to assist you.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
TOONEW

Yes, there is a slight misunderstanding happening.

It occurs to me that I'm asking too many questions in one post, and also offering information as to why I'm using Reaper.

Then my questions get overlooked, while the focus turns to inconsequential things I write.

In the future, I'll keep my questions more clear.

Kindly disregard my previous questions.

I'll get them sorted.

I'll be back with more questions about using Reaper to sweeten up the tone of my bass, as the questions develop.

Thanks guys!