i have a synth, reacomp(for sidechain) and a reverb on the same track

but i dont want the reaverb to be affected by the sidechain

is there a quick way to do this on same track

someone mentioned JS channel downmixer but i don't know exactly how to do that
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
serr
Human being with feelings

What's the reason for cramming all that into one single track?

For example, if this is for a live performance setup...
You can assign any MIDI controller knob to the control (track volume, synth knob, etc) you want regardless of how many tracks are involved "behind the scenes".

Anyway, Reaper's routing ability will let you cram a whole DAW session into a single track if you want to.

Not enough detail in your question to answer specifically though.
What's feeding what? What's sidchaining what and from where?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
What's the reason for cramming all that into one single track?

For example, if this is for a live performance setup...
You can assign any MIDI controller knob to the control (track volume, synth knob, etc) you want regardless of how many tracks are involved "behind the scenes".

Anyway, Reaper's routing ability will let you cram a whole DAW session into a single track if you want to.

Not enough detail in your question to answer specifically though.
What's feeding what? What's sidchaining what and from where?
no no its not live performance its just i want to be able to do it on 1 track

the sidechain is going from a kick track

into the track that has synth, reacomp(for sidechain with kick) and a reverb (this is the track i'm interested for) to make the reverb not be affected by the sidechain
Old 08-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Assuming you’ve already got the compressor set up and sidechaining the way you want, change the output pins on ReaComp so that nothing goes out on channels 1/2 and the L/R outputs to 3/4.

Put the reverb after and just uncheck anything that might be connected to 3/4 on input or output. Make sure this plugin is set to pass through unused channels. That should be default anyway, but it’s good to check.

I personally would then just use ReaEQ mostly because I’ll probably end up wanting it anyway but also it uses almost no CPU and is completely linear. Set the input to take L input from 1 AND 3, and R from 2/4. Output only to 1/2, leaving 3/4 unchecked, and set this one to zero out the unused channels.

Now if you just use ReaEQ like this, you’ll have to use the controls on the comp and verb plugs themselves in order to adjust the mix. The verb will want to stay 100% wet and you will control the actual wet/dry mix using the actual output controls. BTW, this ReaEQ could really just be whatever plugin you want to use after this chain, like if you’re going to put something else there, go ahead, just set up the I/O pins the same. That is, any plugin can be a mixer as long as you’re willing to adjust the mix at the “sources”.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
serr

Just for sanity, you could demo the arrangement with 2 or 3 tracks first. Arrive at the wet/dry balances you want. 99% of the time the reverb gets eq'd. So you might want to dial that up with ease in it's own track with the reverb first as well.

Then you could rebuild that into a single track. Patching through track channels as Ashcat described. Interesting exercise and Reaper would let you do it. I'd need a reason to do this though! Any adjustment between wet/dry involves opening plugins and then re-balancing the track fader vs just grabbing faders.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Assuming you’ve already got the compressor set up and sidechaining the way you want, change the output pins on ReaComp so that nothing goes out on channels 1/2 and the L/R outputs to 3/4.

Put the reverb after and just uncheck anything that might be connected to 3/4 on input or output. Make sure this plugin is set to pass through unused channels. That should be default anyway, but it’s good to check.

I personally would then just use ReaEQ mostly because I’ll probably end up wanting it anyway but also it uses almost no CPU and is completely linear. Set the input to take L input from 1 AND 3, and R from 2/4. Output only to 1/2, leaving 3/4 unchecked, and set this one to zero out the unused channels.

Now if you just use ReaEQ like this, you’ll have to use the controls on the comp and verb plugs themselves in order to adjust the mix. The verb will want to stay 100% wet and you will control the actual wet/dry mix using the actual output controls. BTW, this ReaEQ could really just be whatever plugin you want to use after this chain, like if you’re going to put something else there, go ahead, just set up the I/O pins the same. That is, any plugin can be a mixer as long as you’re willing to adjust the mix at the “sources”.

for reacomp is this what you meant?

as soon i do that i can see the reacomp working but the sidechain effect is lost i can't hear it anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Just for sanity, you could demo the arrangement with 2 or 3 tracks first. Arrive at the wet/dry balances you want. 99% of the time the reverb gets eq'd. So you might want to dial that up with ease in it's own track with the reverb first as well.

Then you could rebuild that into a single track. Patching through track channels as Ashcat described. Interesting exercise and Reaper would let you do it. I'd need a reason to do this though! Any adjustment between wet/dry involves opening plugins and then re-balancing the track fader vs just grabbing faders.

Ehhh Eq'ing reverbs I'll have to consider that too at some point right
Old 08-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post
for reacomp is this what you meant?
No. Leave the input side alone. Change output side to go to 3/4 instead of 1/2. You still won’t hear anything until you mix those back to 1/2 further down the chain.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #8
serr

You learned everything about routing you need to know with the connect the dots drawings in childhood. Output from something goes to an input of something else. Why don't you go through the Reaper routing as an exercise instead of trying to work blind as it were trying to follow directions but not understanding. Then come back to your actual project.

Yeah, eq'ing reverb. It's often more important than the reverb choice itself.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
for

Quote:
No. Leave the input side alone. Change output side to go to 3/4 instead of 1/2. You still won’t hear anything until you mix those back to 1/2 further down the chain.

am i still doing something wrong?

imghost

i can't hear the sidechain at all ...sorry i wrote reverbarate instead of reaverbate on pic :P

on reacomp i have auxilliary input selected if that makes a difference
Old 08-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

You’re almost there. Now you need a plugin to mix channels 1/2 with 3/4. Like I said, I usually use either the next plugin or ReaEQ, but you could use the JS channel downmixer thing, too.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #11
for

Quote:
You’re almost there. Now you need a plugin to mix channels 1/2 with 3/4. Like I said, I usually use either the next plugin or ReaEQ, but you could use the JS channel downmixer thing, too.

thanks!! I'll have to get used to this process