Old 03-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default .932 comments

1. Reaper crashes if I run it or return focus to it when another editing app has grabbed the asio driver. I don't recall hitting that problem before.

2. "option in prefs to not move edit cursor when shift/ctrl selecting items" - actually no shift appears to be required, which as far as I am concerned is good, as behavior then matches Audition / Cool Edit.

3. "made non-looping items only show one loop indicator" - good, but personally I'd be happier if non-looping item boundaries could not be dragged beyond the extent of the audio at all - I don't see the use of the blank space beyond the audio that results - but maybe I am missing the point of this feature.

4. "highlighting of grouped items" - does not work as I'd expect - the item selected plus all others in the group should be identified by the highlight, not just the rest of the group. In other words, if there are two items in the group, and you click on one of them, only the one you did not click on is highlighted. I would have expected both to highlight.

=======================================

5. Personally I would like to see editing workflow improved. To delete a section from the middle of an item takes too many steps. Correct me if I'm wrong but you've got to....

a - create a loop selection highlight, moving the cursor first to empty space within the project track lanes or above/below them, because dragging on the item moves it (but for rapid accuracy you want to drag right on the item because that's where you can see what you want to edit)

b - select the item that you want to make a hole in.

(a and b can be reversed)

c - press shift/S to split off the unwanted bit

d - press delete to delete it.

The workflow I would personally suggest would be....

a - right-click-drag to create a loop selection highlight, which would not move items even if dragging right on top of them. That action would cause the item of interest to be selected. (The dragging action should also extend a marquee so that any items that the marquee crosses on other tracks, by diagonal dragging, are also selected).

b - Press the delete key and the areas of the selected clips beneath the selection highlight are deleted, without having first to be split off.

So the action is a quick and accurate right-click drag on the actual item(s) and a press of the delete key.

As far as I can see the right-click drag operation is not used in the program. Even if it were felt to be undesirable for part-item-delete-without-split to be provided, it would still be useful to be able to create a selection highlight using right-click-drag without having to go to the top or bottom of the screen to do so, away from the waveform points of interest, especially when dealing with continuous material on tracks (eg from a multitrack live recording).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Re: the workflow, I would personally do:

1) click on the item where I want one edge to be
2) hit S
3) resize the edge of one of the split items to where I want it

-OR-

3) click the item somewhere else, split, the middle piece.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
kejkz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
3. "made non-looping items only show one loop indicator" - good, but personally I'd be happier if non-looping item boundaries could not be dragged beyond the extent of the audio at all
Maybe to process that file with a tail?

As for editing, I like your ideas. They can make editing even better!
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Well, I have to say Justin's point is a good one. Maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of the loop selection highlight being an editing selection highlight. But regardless of what the highlight is finally used for, being able to right-click-drag to create it anywhere on the screen might still have merit.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

yeah the right click drag for selection anywhere could be useful no doubt.. right now alt+right click(drag) does marquee selection, so it makes sense even...

the only time I wouldnt like it is if I go to right click on something and accidentally do a loop selection instead...
Old 03-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
eidenk

There is a GDI and system resources bug with docked items.

All Midi note off does not seem to work here.

When using "Apply FX as new take" the file remains labeled midi when in fact it has become a wav. Can we render to a new track ?

The up button still does not work from "My Documents" in the Media Explorer.

Last edited by eidenk; 03-27-2006 at 02:10 AM.
eidenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 AM   #7
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidenk
When using "Apply FX as new take" the file remains labeled midi when in fact it has become a wav. Can we render to a new track ?
I think this function is designed more as an "audio editing with fx tool" than a Freeze MIDI function.

I found it confusing at first, until I remembered it was just as easy to Freeze MIDI tracks using the "Consolidate" function.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
malcolmj

Default Loss of sync with .932

With "Render FX in worker threads when possible" turned off and running an ASIO system, I get a dropout in the left-hand channel of the Bass track of "Wings (Remix)" at around 38 seconds. It causes the output to overload and the digital output to lose sync.

I'm running a dual-processor machine using XP x64 Edition. Can anyone else replicate this issue on a standard XP machine?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
eidenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
With "Render FX in worker threads when possible" turned off and running an ASIO system, I get a dropout in the left-hand channel of the Bass track of "Wings (Remix)" at around 38 seconds. It causes the output to overload and the digital output to lose sync.

I'm running a dual-processor machine using XP x64 Edition. Can anyone else replicate this issue on a standard XP machine?
Can't reproduce that on a WinME system.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
Leumas

I agree with Art on #4 about group highlights. I did confuse me for a while as you could select two items, one of which wasn't in the group and you wouldn't have any indication that you had done so.

also i don't remeber it happening in .931 but when you switch from a docked to undocked (and vice versa) media explorer it defaults back to "My Computer" and makes you renavigate to the folder you were working in. Just more annoying than anything

[small]can i re-point out http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565 for problems with media explorer again. thank you[/small]

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Can anyone else replicate this issue on a standard XP machine?
Nope. XP on a P4.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

hmm consolidate won't work for freezing midi, unfortunately--it ignores midi..

as far as renaming the item goes, just rename it by hand

-Justin
Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
malcolmj

Doh! I meant "Render" to freeze a MIDI track.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
eidenk

As it's already possible to solo a track, render it to disk, create a new track and then import the render onto it, I am confident the freeze function will be there.

I don't really get the point of this render onto the same track ATM.

Unlike Malcolm I am still confused by it.

And I don't quite understand what Malcolm means by "audio editing with fx tool" with regards to it.

Maybe I am a bit dumb. I surely am.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
eidenk

The frozen midi track would automatically become muted and FX off and would become the "child" of the render which would become a folder track.

The freeze is potentially there as it can be done by hand in a few steps already.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
eidenk

Or what about a new freeze button on tracks ?

It would essentially do most of the above.

Clicking on the freeze button would render the midi to wav, Create a folder track (with maybe a specific icecube icon) with the render on it. It would put the frozen and FX muted midi as child.

Clicking again on the button would unfreeze by muting the render, enabling the FX on the midi and toggle their parent/child position.

Reclicking on the freeze button would rerender, toggle again and replace the previous render with the new one.

Deleting any of the two tracks would make it be a normal track again.

Am I missing something ?

In a completely different area, a button to toggle on/off the lower pane would be great. I dock everything at once and I feel there is no need to disable items anymore with this new system. Docked or undocked and a button to hide/unhide the lower pane should be enough I think. And the view items should go away in the view menu.

Does someone else agree with that ?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
a button to hide/unhide the lower pane
- sounds like a good idea. I used it on a single display system yesterday and screen real estate was a bit of a problem. I'd still like to see the ability to tab all the windows including the waveform window together, though, enabling a full size mixer to appear when its tab is selected.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #18
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
I'd still like to see the ability to tab all the windows including the waveform window together, though, enabling a full size mixer to appear when its tab is selected.
That's not a bad idea.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
eidenk

If double clicking on a tab would undock, it would also be great.

And closing the window would dock it again.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #20
davemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidenk
If double clicking on a tab would undock, it would also be great.

And closing the window would dock it again.
I'd like to see the ability to have a pane that divides the media explorer/mixer rather than the tabs, sometimes I want to see the mixer while I'm browsing for media. Kinda looking for the way it works in ACID.
davemann is offline   Reply With Quote