Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #41
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's nice man. That strumming pattern isn't the easiest to keep flowing and smooth and I really like the finger picking at the end, which proves I got to the end... so there. I like the folkiness of it too.
thanks muchly Karbo -
yeh - i'll assume the best and that means it does manage to flow..

it started out years ago as a bouncy syncopated kind of thing - am traditionally a fan of hard-strum busker type acoustic sound too.. the finger pick was a pain to get right, as pushing the old technical capabilities... so thanks !

btw if its folkiness u like - peak folksy is the bonus 'mama' using my open tuned guitar - foot tapping and all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyFZMyO5Jg

anyways - to return to topic - i managed these things when about 8 years ago i would have told u it was 100% impossible - so to OP and all keep truckin.
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #42
prom

Prom back in this thread again...hmm?

"Peace"

@BenK-msx on Errors Made

After approx 1:29 it becomes something that a festival crowd would be singing along with...it's powerful.
In fact the slight ghost backings you put in sound a bit like outdoor venue performance to me.If I was listening to David Grey and someone took his CD away from me and replaced it with yours I would probably be quite happy.It's not my scene though so I don't go to that place often.
Performance!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #43
BenK-msx

ah thanks very much prom! appreciate your comments.

added some of those backround vocal bits quite late on to loosen/free things up a little bit - since after so many takes getting there the raw take was pretty 'disciplined'.

hmm an upgrade from David Grey? ok i'll take it..
not been a big fan of him either really, but guess if he was at my pub it wouldn't suck.

quirky programmed stuff with some acoustic decor is normally my thing. but wanted to go there as a marker in the sand for my new space/kit and all that. cheers

Last edited by BenK-msx; 07-13-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #44
prom

Cool

It just reminds me of that open stage festival rain soaked crowd emotion...you get it/what I mean.

Last edited by prom; 07-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #45
BenK-msx

for sure - you describe it better than i was thinking it actually.

felt a little odd adding couple of adlibs after-the-fact - but maybe just helps point you to feeling the stagey essence. well spotted !

Last edited by BenK-msx; 07-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #46
RDBOIS

I would like to add something to this thread:

Have you ever felt, as an artist, that when you perform in a live "RAW" setting, people LOVE your performance, but this same performance would suck if recorded?

I used to create songs in a very imperfect way, and all my friends LOVE IT. I was a good artist: LOL

I started to use a computer, a click track, effects, REAPER, and I learned how to impress my friends with the technology.

Now, after having somewhat mastered the technology, I want to go back to RAW, REAL performances. No matter how much I SUCK at it, I want an ORGANIC feeling...

I need to get rid of the click track!!! Seriously. f@ck the click track!!! Maybe, I can make my own bias tempo map, based on an instrument and have all the other instruments play off-tempo, but in sync with this fundamental track? Like a RELATIVE tempo, but more emotional.

I failed at going FULL RAW, as this post has proven to me how I SUCK. Maybe I need to find a balance?

I love the days when I would sit on my bed with my Fostex 4 track and create song, after song, after song... Gosh, it was pure creativity being recorded RAW. All my friends loves to listen to my raw mix, on a cassette tape.

Time has changed, but the issues remain the same...

Any of you feel like you are struggling between REAL, RAW, technology, and the god dam CLICK TRACK?
Not to mention the vocal pitch CHEATING arrangements, and trying to FIT IN a system? Are you faking it?

Anyone else want to make it real?

Last edited by RDBOIS; 07-12-2019 at 11:05 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #47
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I need to get rid of the click track!!! Seriously.
Yes,it's great that it is there for sketching ideas as beat reference but not for actual takes that matter (edit - depends on the desired end product).In most of the music I would classify as meaningful and of long lasting quality, the tempo fluctuates quite subtly , it is changing...which is human.
You are right
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
*I used to think the click track became standard studio practice in the 1980's,turns out it has been in use since 1930's.
Use it,or use it not.

Last edited by prom; 07-14-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: "Please don't let me be misunderstood"
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #48
BenK-msx

For sure rdbois.

The balance imo seems between capturing some raw expression and performance whilst executing things well enough so that the recording withstands hundreds of listens and the magnifying glass effect of doing a good recording.

Ditching the click and grid is definitely ideal but adds a lot of pressure to execute a worthy performance.

Recording simultaneously also means mics and placement have to be well prepped.

I wasn't ready for the level of detail needed to get something I was happy with.

As mentioned it took 32 full takes + numerous abandoned screw up takes over a couple weeks to get the one that got developed.

Each one had to be 'the one' with everything put into it, so to repeatedly screwing up, getting it wrong then resetting is a mental challenge, but it's also a simple one: 'get it right'

Focussed practice, chip away at issues, improvements come.

But when we try and do everything, there isn't enough time to practice!

This could be modern downfall. So many options, not enough time to master them.