Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Chuck Boyer
Human being with feelings

Default McDSP vs Softube vs Eventide ?? help please

I have a lot of waves plugins already, looking really for a good compressor and channel strip I'm thinking.

I have an opportunity to do a monthly subscription package, in my budget I've been told, (wife, grins).

So I have to choose from 'gobbler.com' from McDSP bundle, Softube bundle or Eventide bundles. (I know; or SSL or Nugen, etc, but I'm just choosing these 'everything' bundles).

Anyone have experience with these to be able to say if any are heads above the others for useability and sound quality and functionality for me please?

thank you
Chuck Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
DVDdoug

I don't know but I doubt you can say one is "better" than the others. I think it mostly comes down to preference. I'm sure skilled users can get perfectly adequate results with the free REAPER plug-ins and the listener would never know the difference.

If you are looking for a special feature like multiband compression or look-ahead limiting or emulation of some vintage analog compressor, then you might have to be more picky. (Reverbs very a lot, but you'd probably find more consensus on which reverbs are the worst than which are the best.)

...The idea of a software "channel strip" seems kind-of goofy to me, but there's nothing wrong with if it makes your workflow easier.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Judders

Have you looked at the Slate Digital bundle?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
poetnprophet

have you considered Slate Everything bundle? I've been using for nearly a year, some of the best plugs that I use on every mix. $15/month through Gobbler.

They are different from McDSP though, no graphical interface so it forces you to use your ears, which i've really started to appreciate. Like Doug said, it's all subjective really.

Honestly, with any of those choices you really can't go wrong, they all are high quality, better than waves in many cases.

ha, beat by 1 min
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Honestly, with any of those choices you really can't go wrong, they all are high quality, better than waves in many cases.
This is true!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Chuck Boyer

Default Huh, nodding...

Really, guys... any of those bundles plus Slate are better than waves?
Then they must mostly be more modern or later processed so they're newer in mathematical concepts or schemes, or more fine tuned... or for whatever reason?

I'm really just a beginner, but I feel that at my stage I'm learning more by the presets presented to me, and to see the differences by the knobs settings at t his stage in my development. I know, I can't wait until I reach the point where I dig into the knobs myself because I know what they do, but that will just take time. I'm about a year and 1/2 into my learning now. So, really a beginner.

Actually my situation is that I can do two bindles if they're both around the $15.00 to $20.00 mark. I want to do the $20.00 waves subscription so that I can choose all of the compressors in that lot; db 160, kramer PIE, H-Comp, Linear Phase Multiband Compressor, V Comp and learn the differences of those different types of compressors.

Yes, I researched the Slate plugins bundle first off and I heard that they are a little buggy here and there, and in listening to their videos on the site I find that they don't impress me as doing very much actually. Maybe they're just not so good presentations? So having read that in a couple of discussions I figured I'd go for one of the other ones. If on the other hand most of you people say that slate plugins are by far as good as the other bundles or better then I'd give that a strong vote and perhaps go that route.

Maybe I should just get slate and another bundle and be happy with that
thanks for the replies engerineers.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
Judders

You can make great mixes with Waves too.

It all comes down to personal preference. As you learn more and develop your ear, those preferences will likely change.

Best to try and identify what you are missing, then demo products to see if they can give you what you are looking for. It's tough when you're starting out, because you don't yet know what you're looking for!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Chuck Boyer

Default i agree judders

Judders;

I agree, best if I can just demo different ones and identify what my needs are, what I'm missing and fill in the gaps I guess.

For instance I just reviewed the packages again and I fell in love with the Softube FET Compressor, especially with it's fill in with the parallel compressor knob. Things like that I don't know about until I see it for instance. I know that an experienced, mature engineer could probably create that effect with a couple or three plugins with waves or even with reaper stock plugins, but when I'm such a new beginner I didn't even know that sound choice even existed. But there it is and I want it, grins. I think you're right and that's how the growing goes for a beginner for sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Boyer View Post
Really, guys... any of those bundles plus Slate are better than waves?
Then they must mostly be more modern or later processed so they're newer in mathematical concepts or schemes, or more fine tuned... or for whatever reason?

I'm really just a beginner, but I feel that at my stage I'm learning more by the presets presented to me, and to see the differences by the knobs settings at t his stage in my development. I know, I can't wait until I reach the point where I dig into the knobs myself because I know what they do, but that will just take time. I'm about a year and 1/2 into my learning now. So, really a beginner.

Actually my situation is that I can do two bindles if they're both around the $15.00 to $20.00 mark. I want to do the $20.00 waves subscription so that I can choose all of the compressors in that lot; db 160, kramer PIE, H-Comp, Linear Phase Multiband Compressor, V Comp and learn the differences of those different types of compressors.

Yes, I researched the Slate plugins bundle first off and I heard that they are a little buggy here and there, and in listening to their videos on the site I find that they don't impress me as doing very much actually. Maybe they're just not so good presentations? So having read that in a couple of discussions I figured I'd go for one of the other ones. If on the other hand most of you people say that slate plugins are by far as good as the other bundles or better then I'd give that a strong vote and perhaps go that route.

Maybe I should just get slate and another bundle and be happy with that
thanks for the replies engerineers.
If you're just 'a beginner' like you say, I highly advise against getting locked in to a subscription of plugins that you may or may not understand how to even use. There's some great freeware out there for learning purposes. Most of the plugins I use for my professional work are free for example.

Compressors are highly subjective too.. I personally don't rate much of the Waves dynamics processors. One I do like though is one of their cheapest and oldest - Audiotrack (a limited version of the code in their C1 compressor).
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
If you're just 'a beginner' like you say, I highly advise against getting locked in to a subscription of plugins that you may or may not understand how to even use. There's some great freeware out there for learning purposes. Most of the plugins I use for my professional work are free for example.

Compressors are highly subjective too.. I personally don't rate much of the Waves dynamics processors. One I do like though is one of their cheapest and oldest - Audiotrack (a limited version of the code in their C1 compressor).
I don't know about other subscriptions, but with the Slate one you aren't locked in. You can stop and start it per month at will. The iLok was free when I started it, too (had to wait for that to turn up in the post, but the subscription charge didn't start until it had).

I totally agree that free plugins are perfectly fine to learn fundamentals of EQ, compression etc...

Chuck, just to bamboozle you further - Plugin Alliance have a rent-to-own scheme, and make some very good plugins (though you could get these cheaper if you wait for sales): https://www.plugin-alliance.com
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
inertia

I'm a Slate user for several years.

I bought a quite a few plugins then sold them and went subscription and don't regret that decision at all. The stuff I am using would have taken more than 10 years to buy and they add new plugins every year.

The McDsp looks pretty nice but I have never used them.

Have a look at Klanghelm's homepage for good, cheap compressors.

https://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

I am also a big fan of Toneboosters, for cheaper plugins. Their stuff is great.

https://www.toneboosters.com/
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #12
lucas_LCS

this is freeware:
Dead Duck plugins
http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.com/

download from:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dea...-duck-software
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
poetnprophet

i would also advise against buying any plugins if you're still learning. reaper's base plugins are actually a really great way to learn: they work, they have all the controls so everything translates to other plugs, and have visual feedback (analyzer, gain reduc meter, etc). then when you're ready you can start to delve into other developers to learn their "sound", because really that's what we buy it for.

Klanghelm was mentioned, and also Voxengo has a suite of beginner plugins as well and some things I use all the time.

Melda Productions also has a free suite of base plugins.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #14
Chuck Boyer

Default Great suggestions!!

[QUOTE=lucas_LCS;2085475]this is freeware:
Dead Duck plugins
http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.com/

Yes!! I've downloaded and have been working with all of the suggested free plugins and by far the Dead Duck "DD" plugins are 'fantastic' to learn from. Much better for me personally than the stuck Reaper plugins possibly because of the GUI visual layout? I don't know. But wow, I'm learning leaps and bounds with the 'DD' stuff. Thanks! great suggestion, and I am so grateful.

I am also choosing just to do the Waves subscription option and acquire a good selection of 13 plugins I'll own after 2 years of monthly subscription.

Someone asked, I don't care for the Slate plugins because in listening to many of the videos provided per plugin I really/honestly don't hear any difference in the before/after sounds on each plugin and that bothers me is all, i'm like, ' huh'? So, that's why.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
sostenuto

These plugins have really positive reviews and excellent walkthrough videos for long time. Basic versions are free. GE Upgrades are very affordable.
Arguably equal to better than those you posited.

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/
sostenuto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
Zlornick

+1 on the TDR stuff. I've learned a lot using their stuff and found them useful enough to invest in a couple. Dan Worell has some great videos showing how to use them as well.

Klanghelm's compressors are great as well. There are so many quality free and low cost options out there that investing in an expensive bundle that you don't know how to use seems overkill. And we haven't even discussed the great Reaper plugs that are right there.
Zlornick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #17
sostenuto

Dan W's reviews /walkthroughs are terrific ! In terms of OP's interests, hopefully he is still monitoring and can use this video link to see how capable TDR's Kotelnikov Compressor is. One of best videos I've seen recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1Tx6SRCwWug
Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #18
ramses

I LOVE the new Marquis compressor from Voxengo.

Worth trying out if you're looking for new flavors. It's really flexible without being overly complex. Stuff is there to tweak if you want to, different modes and stuff, but nothing gets in the way. Sounds great, transparent, punchy with a bit of saturation if you want it.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
Zlornick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Dan W's reviews /walkthroughs are terrific ! In terms of OP's interests, hopefully he is still monitoring and can use this video link to see how capable TDR's Kotelnikov Compressor is. One of best videos I've seen recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1Tx6SRCwWug
Great video, lots to chew on. I suggest a good scotch with that.
Zlornick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #20
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlornick View Post
Great video, lots to chew on. I suggest a good scotch with that.
Wish I had one …. McClelland's Islay has to work after BlkFri /Holiday software onslaught.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
Chuck Boyer

Default nice video, nodding

Glenlivit 15 yr for my taste, straight up, neat.
I'm really liking the DD stuff (DeadDuck) and of course the Waves L1 and C6 that I have.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm dying for some zero latency versions of the TDR stuff...its my absolute favorite, but I really don't like to separate tracking from mixing, so sometimes its hard to use
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #23
xpander

Fabien posted last November in GS forum that the zero-latency modes are coming, first for the SlickEQ M and SlickEQ and later for the Nova. Sounds good, although don't see it as an absolute necessity for the SlickEQ M myself. Kotelnikov GE should have it already as a Live mode, although they seem to call it low-latency instead?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Chuck Boyer

Default Question

I have some Waves plugins and of course some free plugins. The waves abbey road chambers takes awhile to load, the TrueVerb doesn't take much time at all, DeadDuck reverb is instantaneous load.

Does this mean that each are taking different amounts of Ram useage on my computer? PC. Intel Core i5-2400, 3.10 GHz, 8GB ram, 64bit OS.

And then after it's loaded, does each plugin use different amounts of processing power? Guess I could just check system processes and see that one. But generally overall, the community/people know of different Developers' plugins are slower to load (waves?) or quicker (UI because they use the processor chip on their hardware which helps immensely). But leaving out UI, of ones' i'm considering subscribing to from Gobbler;

SSL, Softube, Sonnox, NUGEN, Eventide, McDSP or the Slate bundle. ??

Is there one that you would generally say watch out, they're ram hogs or the opposite of?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #25
poetnprophet

Reaper has a CPU usage meter that tells you real time and overall CPU performance as well as ram. Under those readings is a list of all tracks and the plugin performance for each track in terms of PDC and cpu use. Also if you open an fx chain for any track, bottom left corner will show these readings for each plugin. This can help you find out which are taking more processing power.

I can tell you that Slate plugins can be slow loading. It used to bother me before, but it has also gotten a lot better recently. They are low latency, but they are also pretty cpu friendly...but a little less than waves. It seems to be that low latency and cpu usage are not entirely correlated so don't get confused by "low latency". You make a sacrifice one way or another.

Are you monitoring through Reaper and tracking with plugins?