Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Aldenorai
Human being with feelings

Default Efficient use of VST instruments

My apologies if this has been already addressed.

I just downloaded Reaper (and plan on buying the license upon my next payday), and am coming from previously using Nuendo (which is very similar to Cubase in structure). Now, in Nuendo, I would have to load the VSTs then, in the creation of the MIDI channels, would have to choose the Output through that VST.

Just in the few hours that I've been playing with Reaper, the only way I was able to get my samples layered was to open a new instance of Play (using the EastWest Play plugin for Symphonic Orchestra) for the new MIDI channel and get it to work. Using Reaper's auto-channel creation along with loading the first instance of Play only combined the instrument samples, layering them atop one another.

Just because I'm sure there is a way to do this, and I haven't found it yet, is there a CPU-efficient way to have multiple MIDI tracks reading off of their respective channels in the VST plugin without having to open multiple instances of the plugin itself?

Any advice is appreciated!
Aldenorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Aldenorai and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

------------------------------------
Give this a try:
(a) right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select the VSTi (Play),
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,
(e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track.
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively)
to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi.

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - so that each receives MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sends its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish.

You can then put the MIDI (record it or edit a MIDI clip) on each "MIDI" track and add any FX you want to each of the "audio2 tracks.

Attached is a schematic showing the routing., for Kontakt 4 8-out with the excess MIDI channels deleted.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
FrankDee

Default Why tracks for the MIDI channels??

If I understand what you've done is allow for MIDI FX during record? Is there more you can do than add a MIDI transpose FX?

If I want to record with this setup, do I arm the MIDI track and/or the drum VST?

I made a setup where I route the MIDI keyboard into the drum VST and then put different drum components (drum, snare, etc.) on different MIDI channels. This allows me to record one MIDI item on the drum VST track. I then can add FX to the separate output channels.

Also, I like your mapping image. Any chance you can post a better resolution image somewhere?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
DarkStar

Yes you could add an FX that changes the MIDI to those tracks. With an appropriate FX you could modify the velocity range, duplicate nots onto a different channel, generate chords ....

To record the MIDI just arm the "MIDI" track, not the VSTi track.

I reduced the image size some time ago but did not keep the original, sorry.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Hello Aldenorai and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

------------------------------------
Give this a try:
(a) right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select the VSTi (Play),
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,
(e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track.
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively)
to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi.

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - so that each receives MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sends its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish.

You can then put the MIDI (record it or edit a MIDI clip) on each "MIDI" track and add any FX you want to each of the "audio2 tracks.

Attached is a schematic showing the routing., for Kontakt 4 8-out with the excess MIDI channels deleted.

Excellent visual explanation, thanks !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Aldenorai

My apologies on the late reply. Had a crazy busy week.

Thank you very much for the greeting, AND the advice. I tried the method you described, and it worked like a charm!

Many thanks! ^_^