Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
4658dan
Human being with feelings

Default When I record my guitar, it's quiet. Am I missing something?

Hi guys,

I have an Orange Rockerverb 100 head with a 4x12 cab. I'm using an SM57 mic and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 interface to record with. I have tried positioning the mic in a few different places around the cab.

On the interface, I have the mic cable going into the 1st input, trouble is, to even hear my guitar, I have to turn up the gain for input 1 to almost max. I get my guitar's sound at around 8 out of 10.

I have downloaded the Guitar Rig 5 pro demo and I only need it on 3 to get a good volume from the guitar....any more and it will start to clip. This suggests to me that there is sopmething I'm missing in the set up of recording with a mic and it's not a fault with the interface.

Can anyone help me with this? I don't want to use guitar rig instead of my amp however it's providing better results at the moment.

Another thing, on the new track, the volume slider is at 0.00db by default. Do I leave it at this, or turn it down/up? Before mastering the track etc...

Thanks alot!
4658dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
daveyajd

Maybe your XLR cord is bad? Maybe the mic is bad? Try switching them out.
daveyajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Chris Martins

How loud is your amp ?
The 57 being a dynamic mic, you'll need a pretty hefty dose of volume from you amp to get a good signal to hit your converters.
Also make sure no pad is engaged on the channel if available either hardware or software.
Last thing : you're using XLR to XLR, not XLR to Jack right ? If not, there's your culprit.
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
crowhue

Try a different mic on the guitar cab. Must be something between the mic and desk or the channel itself.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
bluntside

Default Same Problem

Mate! I'm having almost the exact same problem (see my post...)

I just purchased an SM57 and tried using it with my Orange TH30 and Marshall Cab and into my Alesis io14 Firewire interface and having the exact same issue...

In order to get ANY signal I have to put the gain on the mic input to MAX and then the guitar on like volume 3 - which is LOUD!

Im yet to test out any other combinations, and its all brand new (the mic and cable etc..) so i HOPE its neither of those!

However if you find a solution please post as it may be the same for me - and I will do likewise!

Good luck!
bluntside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
RJHollins

You should be able to just talk into the mic and get plenty of input level going into your DAW.

I'm not familiar with the audio interface being used ... but [and forgive the question] ... are you certain you are using the MIC input and NOT the LINE input ?? Double check that your audio cards 'Control Panel' is set properly.

just a first suggestion.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
When I record my guitar, it's quiet. Am I missing something?
Well, you have to play it. It doesn't make any sound of its own

..just ask me if you need any other expert help from me