Old 03-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default Back down to 848K download

Justin must have taken all that "bloat" out of Reaper, we're now back below 1 Meg. I was starting to get worried my floppy drive was going to get less attention again. Can someone explain to me how all these other apps keep getting bigger and bigger in size, and Reaper is getting more and more of the same functions and then some and still remains a hint fraction of their size? I'm starting to think other apps just include large embeded graphics files, just so when you look at the size of a newer release and the size is "bigger" then you think you are getting more than the previous version. Whatever happened to "less is More?"

Maybe I could go back to a dial up connection if everyone else was this effecient with code.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-25-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
fluffy

What happened is that the demo song is MUCH smaller now.

And yes, a lot of bloat seems to come from those spanky looking bubblegummy graphics in a lot of software.

Less is most definitely more! (It's one of my mantras)
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Leumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll
Justin must have taken all that "bloat" out of Reaper, we're now back below 1 Meg. I was starting to get worried my floppy drive was going to get less attention again. Can someone explain to me how all these other apps keep getting bigger and bigger in size, and Reaper is getting more and more of the same functions and then some and still remains a hint fraction of their size? I'm starting to think other apps just include large embeded graphics files, just so when you look at the size of a newer release and the size is "bigger" then you think you are getting more than the previous version. Whatever happened to "less is More?"

Maybe I could go back to a dial up connection if everyone else was this effecient with code.
but if cubase could fit on a floppy disc wouldn't you have tried "borrowing" it? even on dial-up? i think (conspiracy theorist) that some of these bigger name apps are just bloated to increase download times...

/discuss

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Against_Demons

Well I'm not really sticking up 4 anyone but things like help files manual, all out demo projects (no looped .ogg...),sample collections,fx and synth plugins,security,maybe some sys files, codecs,hardware .dlls,blah bla bla. Adds up quick.
Against_Demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_Demons
Well I'm not really sticking up 4 anyone but things like help files manual, all out demo projects (no looped .ogg...),sample collections,fx and synth plugins,security,maybe some sys files, codecs,hardware .dlls,blah bla bla. Adds up quick.
The early versions of FL Studio (back when it was called Fruity Loops) used to be very small, but back then they didn't include heaps of demo songs (and associated samples), heaps of VSTi's and FX, and the online help files.

At the moment it looks like the REAPER Quick Start Guide (PDF) will be many times larger in file size than the actual REAPER program.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote