Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
delley
Human being with feelings

Default Help on choosing correct vocal recording gear

Hi all,

I've recently begun recording my vocal, so I'm very new to all this.

I've made a couple of tracks and I want to record lead vocals to it. A couple of years ago (yeah I know..life and kids got in the way ) I purchaised a SE 2200A condenser mic. And my idea was to use this for recording.

Two weeks ago I finally got to recording...and holy crap it sounded like s***!

Taking my limited training singing into a mic and basic vocal training out of the equation, the sound if the recording was very metalic and harsh..?!?

So I am wondering what is wrong? Is it the mic that is broken? Or is it "just" the way it sounds? Or is it my recording chain that is something wrong with?

My setup is as following: SE 2200A -> Kontakt Audio 1 (usb interface) -> PC via ASIO -> Reaper.

What I want is to get a warm vocal sound like for instance The The on ther Dusk album. Or like Tom Barman from Deus. My voice lies in the baritone register...

Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome?

Daniel
delley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Audiosyncrasy

Do you have any other mics with which you can do a comparison? For instance, do you have a Shure SM57, or some other dynamic microphone? Is the sound still harsh and tinny?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
camerondye

To be honest, nobody will be able to give you anything but an opinion until you post a vocal mp3...it's probably smart to do what Audiosyncrasy suggested also and post singing into a 57 into the same interface for comparison if you have one because everybody knows what those are supposed to sound like.

Last edited by camerondye; 10-09-2013 at 09:18 AM.
camerondye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
EpicSounds

There are a lot of variables here. Starting with the mic, is it pointing the right way? The correct way is pointing the side with the SE logo towards you. Not the end.

Does your room sound metallic? Small room with no soft surfaces to absorb reflections. Could your vocal be bouncing off a nearby wall or other hard surface and entering the back of the mic?

Are you accidentally monitoring the mic direct on the interface and also through Reaper? The slight processing delay can cause a metallic sound when mixed with the direct signal.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
jacobestes

Is the gain turned up too high? Is the mic itself distorting? Check everything in your chain for proper gain staging.

Try recording yourself further from the mic. It won't sound warmer, but if you are too loud for the mic it might help with the distortion.

This is just in addition to what they said.

And the mic orientation thing is no joke. I have two mics of the same model, but one has a black on black logo, and the other has a white logo. I was trying a new spot in the room to record the vocals, to get a more "live" sound, and it sounded really really wet with reverb. We couldn't get the articulation we wanted (I mean, we wanted it live, but not this live).

When trying the other mic to see if there was an issue, I saw the mic was turned backwards! What a dumb mistake!

So, you know, check everything, even the goofy stuff.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
delley

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses!

I do have a Shure 57 - will try that one for reference.

And maybe the mic has been in the wrong direction. Will try that as well!!! Good point!

The room I'm recording in is a rectangle shaped room, with sound absorbing panels (it looks like shredded paper). But it is not 'dead' - you can hear the room on the recording. I've been thinking about hanging a carpet or similar infront of where I sing - just to take some of the room away. Has any one good tricks/tips for doing that?

I will try all the things you've all said - and I'll report back - thanks alot

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
delley

OK - finally got time to try again with the suggested inputs...

First thing I discovered was that I indeed had the mic turned backwards. There's a blue SE logo on the back and a red in the front...DOH!

After re-recording with the mic turned correctly...it sounded much better!!! (still gotta work on my vocal, but thats a different story...)

I even tried recording with a Shure 57, which also sounded good but had a much "brighter" sound than the SE.

I'm prertty happy with the sound of the SE mic - it will probably suffice for what I am doing. Perhaps when I get the money and the need, I'll invest in a Shure SM7B.

Thanks all for your suggestions and good advice - I appreciate it.

NDaniel