Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
alanofoz
Human being with feelings

Default The 'Three Plugin' Mixoff - a variation

Following the success of The 'Three Plugin' Mixoff, if I may I'd like to start a variation:-

This time the three plugins must be Reaper or free plugins and you must post your project file (*.rpp) - no audio files. This way, as a fantastic learning experience, anyone will be able to recreate and modify submitted mixes at no cost.

Contributions from two groups of people would be extremely valuable: 1) New contributers (such as myself) and b) Contributers to the original thread revising their mix by swapping their chosen plugins for Reaper or free.

By standing on the shoulders of the giants in the original thread I've produced my own version to kick off the thread. Unlike Newton I doubt that I have been able to see further!

Please have at it.

Original thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=123907

-
Attached Files
File Type: rpp alanofoz.rpp (28.8 KB, 163 views)

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Alxi

Frankly i think that most people who have worked on it the first time might be getting bored with the song, I know i am.

+ I think that .rpp files should not be the only way to share what we have done. I don't see myself downloading 10-15 reaper projects and open them just to give the mix a listen.

If you do that then i would be up for it. Not that my participation maters but i would prefer a new challenge
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
alanofoz

Alxi,

As good as the original thread was, I found the lack of rpp files pretty frustrating. The mixes were all interesting, but my main learning experiences were from the few rpp files using Reaper plugins. I learnt a lot but I still have much to learn.

Experienced users such as yourself may get less from this thread, however for those of us still learning this stuff a contribution would be invaluable and much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
Frankly i think that most people who have worked on it the first time might be getting bored with the song, I know i am.
I can certainly relate to that.

Quote:
+ I think that .rpp files should not be the only way to share what we have done. I don't see myself downloading 10-15 reaper projects and open them just to give the mix a listen.
I also would not open many projects "just to give the mix a listen", but that's missing the point entirely - I'd be opening them to learn. These files contain the really useful information, far more so than the mp3 mixdowns.

Project files are easier to post as well.

Quote:
If you do that then i would be up for it. Not that my participation maters but i would prefer a new challenge
I think one of the challenges could be to get a mix with Reaper plugins only to sound as close as possible to the mix with your preferred plugins. Also very interesting!

Another would be to provide a learning experience via the project file. Hey, we're not keeping any secrets from each other are we? Surely not!

If the above does not apply to you, fair enough, but I fear that your reply may have scared a few others away.

As an educator for 35+ years in Electrical/Electronics Engineering I've always placed a high value on learning. As a retiree I've never stopped learning.

Do I have an ulterior motive? You bet I do, but I'm not the only learner here am I?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Wolffman

Hi alanofoz

I can understand both side of the coin here, getting bored vs keen to learn, i know i was eager to get as much info as i could when i first started into this mixing world.

With that in mind you might find these threads from a few years back usefull, a lot of people, myself included, posted mixes and rpp files using REAPER plugins only.

Here they are, hope you find them usefull.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67674

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68639

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69695

Cheers

Wolffmanofoz

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Alxi

I'm very keen on learning my self.
Sorry if i came off as someone who think he knows it all.
I very much don't but in order to choose which reaper session i will look at i would've liked to been able to hear the mix first.

On my previous attempt i used reaeq, reacomp and Valhalla room. I don't feel i'm gonna learn much by switching the reverb only to reaverb or whatever.

Anyway. Wasn't trying to discourage you to go on with your idea. I was just interested in participating if we had a new song and the mix + the rpp files.
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Hi alanofoz

I can understand both side of the coin here, getting bored vs keen to learn, i know i was eager to get as much info as i could when i first started into this mixing world.

With that in mind you might find these threads from a few years back usefull, a lot of people, myself included, posted mixes and rpp files using REAPER plugins only.

Here they are, hope you find them usefull.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67674

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68639

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69695

Cheers

Wolffmanofoz
Thanks, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Many of the files are now gone of course, but plenty for me to go on with. Pity I missed it at the time, I wasn't active on the forum then.

Gotta watch out for those anofoz characters...

Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I'm very keen on learning my self.
Sorry if i came off as someone who think he knows it all.
Not at all, just that we're both looking for different things.

Quote:
I very much don't but in order to choose which reaper session i will look at i would've liked to been able to hear the mix first.
At this point in my journey I'm prepared to take the extra step of loading each rpp file.

Quote:
On my previous attempt i used reaeq, reacomp and Valhalla room. I don't feel i'm gonna learn much by switching the reverb only to reaverb or whatever.

Anyway. Wasn't trying to discourage you to go on with your idea. I was just interested in participating if we had a new song and the mix + the rpp files.
If you'd like to post your rpp file it would be much appreciated. I had actually considered making Valhalla room the only exception to the Reaper or free rule. I've read so many good posts about VR I thought it might be worth it.

Fully agree with the idea of a new song, but not much I can do about that unfortunately.