Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Mixing an album

Hey guys I know the "each song requires it's own mixing approach" and stuff but what if the whole album is recorded exactly the same way. I mean each instrument has been recorded with the same settings, levels etc. Would somewhat having a general mix preset for say drums be good to be used with other tracks since it's the same sound and the same feeling, just playing different tracks each time?

I'm not saying exclusively presetting but somewhat having the same mixing levels that you had on your previous tracks with the same EQs and compressor settings as at least a starting point to then tailor everything down to the track? The reason I'm asking is because I want quite a close sound from track to track and plus mostly the levels sound really good with the other tracks.

Is there a reason I should stay back from doing this at least for an album that it works well on?
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Coachz

just use your ears
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
barefaced

I think, your approach could work.

I use the same approach only for our singer. Always the same person, the same mic and the same room. I store presets for eq's, compressors, and so on, but not for reverb and delay, because these settings a in relation to song tempo and song timbre.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post

Is there a reason I should stay back from doing this at least for an album that it works well on?
None that I can think of.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
oerk

I store the FX chain of each instrument when I'm finished with a track, and import them when starting with the next track just to have a starting point.

Levels, I don't. I mix each track individually and try to keep the perceived loudness of all tracks consistent.
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Vendetta V

Thanks guys, I didn't store the delay or reverb presets to be honest even before reading this thread, nor do I wanna store the levels but the drumset's mics which already sit really well together )although I do final tweaking again and again haha).

I figured I can do the EQ and everything for each track for a simple reason that I really want it to sound exactly like in the other track. that is the main guitar. the other instruments that differ for each song like fuzz lead or some classical etc. get personal attention haha.

Anyways thanks again guys for just helping me to decide my approach cool minds think alike I guess
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Kearley

Rumour has it that CLA(or TLA??) uses a rack full of duplicated gear that he never touches... He'll pick which 1176 to use based on the settings it has.

This is basically like using mixing presets.

I'll bet at his level, he's getting PT sessions PREprepared for him where the tracks all output to the right channels, etc.. Someone has dropped in the kick/snare samples that he likes...

Then he loads it up, does a bit of balancing, shoves tracks thru the appropriate gear (which ever 1176 is best suited) and then maybe some automation, and he's done!