Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
technophobe
Human being with feelings

Default Microkorg and Reaper.

Hi, I am just getting started learning the basics of Reaper and want to start making rough practise recordings soon. I have an audio interface for my guitars, Mic, and I also have a Microkorg hardware synthesizer. I am hoping to just record some guitar bits, along with some drums and synth lines, as well as some effects. Basically trying to experiment as much.

Anyway as a newby to DAW's and computer recording in general I wondering will I be able to say for example, plug my synthesizer through the interface and record it on to Reaper using the sounds off the snyth, or will it be just used as a MIDI controller for the sounds already on Reaper?

Also, one last thing, how do you programme your drum loops on Reaper?

Thanks
technophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
dub3000

i'm assuming your interface has midi in/out, or you have one of the newer microkorgs with usb (i'm guessing this works as a midi interface, i only have the old one here).

you can run midi out from your computer back into the microkorg, and record the audio out of your microkorg back into the computer - i've done this, this works pretty well. keep in mind that microkorgs have limited polyphony, so you'd probably want to bounce stuff down to audio once you're happy with it.

you can also use the microkorg as a midi controller, or just jam into it live and record audio.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
technophobe

Thanks yeah it is the old micro korg but it has the MIDI IN/OUT ports so I just need a cable to put in through the computer via the audio interface. So what I am looking to do at first is just record a few multiple tracks with the guitar, bass, and synth. I know that there are loads of built in VSTi's in reaper where I can get tonnes of synth sounds so it using the actual sounds of my micro korg a bit pointless in this regard, and should I just be using it as a MIDI controller to play the soft synths instead?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
dub3000

reaper itself doesn't have much in the way of VSTis - there are lots of effects though, but not really anything great synthwise.

there are lots of good free ones though. the elektrostudio pack, synth1, fxpansion's free orca synth, minimogue are all great.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
technophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
reaper itself doesn't have much in the way of VSTis - there are lots of effects though, but not really anything great synthwise.

there are lots of good free ones though. the elektrostudio pack, synth1, fxpansion's free orca synth, minimogue are all great.
Great thanks, do these have to be purchased or can they be downloaded free as plug in's?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
technophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by technophobe View Post
Great thanks, do these have to be purchased or can they be downloaded free as plug in's?
Oops, sorry just realized you have already answered that.
Thanks again