Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
jamie rustic
Human being with feelings

Default Offline FX, Bypass FX- least resources used/latency

hello:

i havent been able to find a clear explanation as to the resource impacts when fx are offlined or bypassed. i have found a couple contradictory statements.

can anyone point me to how these affect performance, please?

thanks,
jr

Last edited by jamie rustic; 06-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
jamie rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
jamie rustic

also, does anyone know how muting/offlining effects changes performance with a track that is muted and with "do not process muted tracks" checked in Preferences > Audio > Mute/Solo.

it seems like this would be very important to know since people are always trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their systems.

can anyone from the reaper team weigh in here?

thanks, jr
jamie rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

As I understand it, bypassing and muting with “do not process...” eliminates the CPU usage for those plugs and should also eliminate their latency, except that sometimes changes in latency and PDC need you to stop the transport and then play again in order to take effect. Offline will also reduce RAM usage in plugins that keep things in RAM. That’s mostly things like sample-based instruments, but I think also delays and reverbs and the like. The main difference is that you have to wait after bring it out of an offline state while it loads all of its samples back into RAM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote