Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
lucor
Human being with feelings

Default Send out specific MIDI CC to iPad (Lemur) on track selection?

I have a setup in Cubase that allows me to sync my keyswitch pages on my iPad to the track I select, and I'm trying to recreate it in Reaper.
It basically goes like this:
- when I select any track it automatically sends out MIDI CC 126 to Lemur on my iPad
- when Lemur receives this CC126, it automatically fires back CC127 to the selected track
- the track picks up CC127 and sends back a specific Poly Pressure value on a specific channel, so for example Track 1 sends back Polypressure with a value of 1 on Midi Channel 1, Track 2 sends back Polypressure with a value of 2 on Channel 1 etc. This allows Lemur to identify the track and show the appropriate Keyswitch page.

Is something like this possible in Reaper?
Thanks!
lucor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
mschnell

One solution I know is using OSCIIbot to convert the OSC messges Reaper (supposedly) sends out when "selecting tracks" (whatever this exactly means) to Midi.

(OSC is the "standard" protocol to remote-control DAWs and Mixers, rather than Midi.)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
_Stevie_

I wish there was some documentation or examples.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
lucor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
One solution I know is using OSCIIbot to convert the OSC messges Reaper (supposedly) sends out when "selecting tracks" (whatever this exactly means) to Midi.

(OSC is the "standard" protocol to remote-control DAWs and Mixers, rather than Midi.)

-Michael
Thanks Michael, I'll give that a try later.

Alternatively, I'm also not opposed to adjust my current setup to work with OSC instead of Midi. Would something like I described above be possible with OSC?

Edit: Or is it possible to create a simple JSFX that does what I want?

Last edited by lucor; 11-29-2017 at 01:49 AM.
lucor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I wish there was some documentation or examples.
Documentation is here -> https://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/oscii-bot-doc.html

What kind of example do you need ?

-Michael
Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucor View Post
Or is it possible to create a simple JSFX that does what I want?
I still don't understand what you mean by "select tracks". Anyway, I don't suppose a JSFX will see this action. (If not using certain tricks) Same only get Input from the track they reside in.

-Michael
Old 11-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Quote:
Documentation is here -> https://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/oscii-bot-doc.html

What kind of example do you need ?

-Michael

I want to set up some shortcuts in Lemur (iPad) to control actions in Reaper. I know, I could use the WebGUI, but I already have a finished Lemur template for Cubase, which I would just "re-wire" to Reaper's actions.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
_Stevie_

Quote:
I still don't understand what you mean by "select tracks". Anyway, I don't suppose a JSFX will see this action. (If not using certain tricks) Same only get Input from the track they reside in.

-Michael

Let's say Lucor selects a track in Reaper, which hosts a Symphobia patch. In that case, Reaper will send a trigger CC to Lemur / TouchOSC and switch to a Symphobia Keyswitch page. He can now see all the available articulations on his iPad.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
mschnell

I do suppose that Reaper can send out an OSC message at that point in time, but I am sure it will not do any Midi stuff.

So you could use OSCIIbot to receive the OSC message and e,g, convert in to a CC midi message. Same could be sent out to the device. It also could be sent out to a MidiLoop device and by that fed back to a thread in Reaper and be handled by a JSFX plugin.

Supposedly some Reaper API also will provide the selection message in some form. I do know that "BeyondPython" can provide the Reaper API to an external Python program (tunneled via OSC), if somebody would rather do Python instead of OSCIIbot EEL scripting.

-Michael
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
crd

I know this an old thread but I wonder if anyone ever accomplished this and could share with me how they did it? Fair warning, I am new to Reaper and scripting.
crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

Lemur can handle OSC directly, there’s no need to use OSCIIbot as a middleman. Just set up the connection (in Reaper that’s in Preferences -> Control Surfaces) and Lemur can handle the incoming messages just fine.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
crd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Lemur can handle OSC directly, there’s no need to use OSCIIbot as a middleman. Just set up the connection (in Reaper that’s in Preferences -> Control Surfaces) and Lemur can handle the incoming messages just fine.
How do you manipulate out going OSC messages from Reaper to Lemur, and then turn them into a specific Midi CC?

Actually, I don't think you actually need to change it into a Midi CC. Lemur should be able to respond to an OSC message directly.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
gofer
-blänk-

Can't help you much with that, but when you add a Control Surface under Preferences -> Control/OSC/Web and choose OSC as mode, Reaper will give you a default Pattern config which includes basically everything Reaper can send/receive via OSC (I think) and lots of explanatory comments. With that pattern engaged, Reaper will start to be very talkative.
Choosing "Open config directory" in the Pattern config dropdown will open the directory with that file. There you can create a copy of the default pattern file and edit to your liking. I don't know much about it, for my humble needs I just commented out most of the messages I don't use and went with that.

Yep, Lemur should be able to receive the messages and react however you tell it to. I do have it, but didn't actually do much with it yet.

For further assistance, maybe create a thread in the "MIDI Hardware/Control Surfaces, and OSC" forum below. I'm sure the fine gents will get you going.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #14
crd

Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I will open a new thread there.