Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #1
Blytzz
Human being with feelings

Default Imported .wav drum samples sound extremely thin

Hello, I have a few .wav drump loops from various sites, but whenever adding them to Reaper they sound super thin and just bad. I've reset Reaper to factory defaults, updated to the latest version, messed around with the master track, EQ, Compression etc. but nothing has gotten that low end back. Sample rates at 44100, bits at 24...etc. I've watched Reapermania and followed his steps...went to looperman, downloaded a sample, imported it just like him...his sounds fine...mine sounds terrible. Did the same thing on my other computer...same condition. Swapped around sound interfaces..asio4all/waveout/zed10fx etc...no change. It feels like some kind of fader is cutting off the initial sound..but it's a 6 second loop and it never fully comes in (and I've messed around with the fade settings with no luck)...so I'm just not sure what's going on at this point. Right now everything is set to factory default again...and I like Reaper...love to get it to work right...but I've been on this for days...any thoughts/experience is grrreatly appreciated.
Blytzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
mchest

so does every sound coming out of reaper have this issue?
how are you monitoring?
mchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Blytzz

Everything else sounds perfect, Serum, all Kontakt instruments etc. bass sounds great on everything. But every sample I load in sounds super thin and empty. I also went into one of the preference settings that allowed me to remove the master fade in…sadly nothing changed though.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
Blytzz

Ok, so I downloaded Ableton Live Lite and imported the sample and voila! It was exactly the same as Reaper. I'm actually pretty happy about this as it lets me know there wasn't something funky going on in Reaper. Still trying to find out what's causing the issue...but at least it isn't a weird Reaper setting.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
mchest

well it's unusual but normally an unexplained thin-ness wld be a sign of an out of phase signal - are the samples stereo? try deleting one side
try importing a music track you know - it sound ok?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
mchest

or perhaps you have engaged the phase button when it should not be engaged
Old 01-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #7
Fergler

Does it also sound 1 octave higher than it should?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:18 AM   #8
Blytzz

Does it also sound 1 octave higher than it should?
It doesn’t, I did try playing with the pitch settings which helped a little at -1, but then went bad beyond that.

or perhaps you have engaged the phase button when it should not be engaged
I checked and there’s no phase added, I added it then took it off to make sure.

Its definitely something that happens when the sample loads in any daw, when I play the samples in a wav player like VLC they sound right, but when adding to Reaper or Ableton they lose a lot of something. Still working on it, I’ll certainly reply once I get this sorted as it may help someone else.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
buschag

Could it be a difference in sample rates? Audio file vs project settings? Maybe if the project sample rate is higher it could change the sound?
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
serr

I don't do a lot with samples or have an extensive library. I've recorded off Roland drum kits often enough though and I can tell you those samples are produced to be bionic sounding. I'm sure those libraries are available somewhere. I do nose around for samples/sounds here and there and more often than not the stuff posted sounds like it was recorded with a phone. And badly for a phone! Could just be what you've stumbled across so far.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #11
Blytzz

Still haven't figured it all out yet. However, I did find that when I bounce/export the sample sounds fine...it only sounds bad when playing it in the DAW. I even tried loading the various samples into an ios sampler and it was exactly the same...bad sound in the sampler..but great after bouncing..
Old 01-30-2022, 01:36 PM   #12
clepsydrae

Can you post or link to one of these samples?

Edit: also, you're on Windows -- what version?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:21 PM   #13
Blytzz

Ha! Got it. So it was an issue in the Options>Preferences>Audio>Device....I had the 'input' selected wrong...it was set to a default setting and I had to select my soundcard (Realtek) and set that to stereo..now everything sounds perfect....egad...I'm sure this is a newbie mistake...but man...I searched high and low and saw a lot of other dead-end threads with the same issue and no solution. Hopefully this helps someone else.