Old 06-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
tbrown92030
Human being with feelings

Default Basics of the Video Processor Plugin

Hello all,

I'm pretty much a total n00b to mucking about in the Video Processor code although not a n00b for programming in general. What I would like to know is just about some of the basics how the video processor plugin operates.

I'm assuming that the plugin is executed on a per-frame basis for rendering so let me know if that basic assumption is wrong!

Can a video processing preset keep state? Do changes in the parameters or variables persist through to the next time the code is executed (the next frame)?

Can the ReaScript EEL2 API functions be used inside video processor preset code, e.g. the eel_(fopen/fseek/fgets/fclose) functions? (and, per the prior question, can anything loaded from an external file be kept across all invocations (frames)?
tbrown92030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #2
Eliseat

The only place where you can find some (all?) of the video processor programming descriptions is there. https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...mentation.html

I wish I could understand what its all about, but its not easy for someone who only learned basic programming several times in live. But there is hope. I maybe will start programming lessons in September 2020 which will include c++ and Java. though I have no idea if this will help understanding video processor and other Reaper scripts any better.

Greetings
Eli
Old 06-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
tbrown92030

Thanks, yes... I've been using that site for API docs. Unfortunately, as with docs for pretty much any API, they don't give a lot of higher level explanation; just the details of each API variable or function.

I guess another way to express my questions is to ask how the preset code for the video processing plugin relates to any other, say, JSFX plugin. Those have a more definite (and documented) structure for the different "code sections."
Old 06-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Into the one for video processor, I also included an introduction and some examples.
It's not a novel and I want to improve on that at some level but I hadn't time yet to do so.

And unlike JSFX, you don't have really structures. It's more

1. Get the image
2. Manipulate it to your needs
3. Blit it.

The different presets have also good examples so I suggest you to take one and alter it and see, what works and what not.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
tbrown92030

Thanks for the links... I will definitely check all that out!