COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
tmladek
Human being with feelings

Default Strangely regular (and long) drop-outs?

Hello,
I've just found out about NINJAM, and I have to say it looks amazing!

I set up an instance on our VPS, to which three of us connected in total (and two were playing), but the entire time, we've only heard some portions of what the others were playing (and sending out). It even shows up in the session recording, see attachments. This was happening on both sides of the link.

I've checked, the CPU utilization of the VPS was well under 30% the entire time, and it's got 100Mbps of bandwidth both ways, so I don't think it was dropping out because of that. Also, it's strangely regular and in sync with the BPM, which makes me wonder.

Did we misconfigure something? Did we forget to turn something on?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png zoomed_in.png (31.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg overview.jpg (45.2 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by tmladek; 03-26-2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: more info
tmladek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
pljones

What do the pictures show? I mean, yes, waveforms. But from where?

For the simplest set up, you should have:
- audio in -> track 1 monitor / record, parent send to master (i.e. default)
- master with Insert effect (ReaNINJAM, other client, as preferred) to send to / receive from NINJAM
- master -> audio out

And the only way to hear what you play should be what's coming from audio out, nowhere else (i.e. if you mute master, you don't hear yourself at all).

ReaNINJAM and JamTaba both provide built-in session recording, so you don't need to do anything in Reaper itself to record a session.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
tmladek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
What do the pictures show? I mean, yes, waveforms. But from where?
From NINJAM session log.

Quote:
For the simplest set up, you should have:
- audio in -> track 1 monitor / record, parent send to master (i.e. default)
- master with Insert effect (ReaNINJAM, other client, as preferred) to send to / receive from NINJAM
- master -> audio out

And the only way to hear what you play should be what's coming from audio out, nowhere else (i.e. if you mute master, you don't hear yourself at all).
This was my setup, save for the "Track 1" (I did not use an external Audio input, but simply a VST synth on Master FX chain before NINJAM).

Quote:
ReaNINJAM and JamTaba both provide built-in session recording, so you don't need to do anything to record.
I did not!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmladek View Post
From NINJAM session log.
Sorry, could you clarify. What does this mean?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
tmladek

NINJAM provides session recording, yes? This is the session recording.

I loaded it into Reaper after the session was over, by dragging the clipsort.log file into reaper, as per https://www.freewebs.com/arxeia/Ninjam_User_Guide.pdf
Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
pljones

Could you just try to help when explaining. It would make giving help a lot easier.

Yes, ReaNINJAM records. Yes, Jamulus records.

What are you talking about. What steps are you taking, for a start, to create the project for which you showed the screenshot.

You're failing dismally to provide simple answers to basic questions.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #7
tmladek

I am sorry, but I genuinely have no idea what other information are you imagining that I am withholding from you.

Quote:
What are you talking about. What steps are you taking, for a start, to create the project for which you showed the screenshot.
I went to the folder with the ReaNINJAM session recordings. I located the folder whose name corresponded to the start of the session, opened it, then moved my mouse over the "clipsort.log" file, I pressed the left mouse button, moved my cursor over the Reaper window, and released it. Reaper then imported the project, resulting in the screenshots I uploaded here on this forum.

I used the guide I found on https://www.freewebs.com/arxeia/Ninjam_User_Guide.pdf

What else do you wish to know?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
pljones

That would get you the NINJAM session recording.

Your screen shot had two recordings. Can you confirm how that was produced.

Again, complete information just makes it so much faster.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
tmladek

Both screenshots are of the same project, and both recordings (tracks, really) were a part of the multitrack recording imported in a single step (dragging over the clipsort.log file).

The top recording is my track (local_00), and the bottom recording (sdbs_3_00) is my friend's track, that I heard (and apparently received) in parts like this. No track names were changed, no editing was done.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
pljones

OK, so if they were losing network connection or had poor bandwidth, what you've shown is perfect. Every interval starts on 1, so each received chunk will start regularly on 1. If the bandwidth available is insufficient, you'll get only 1 in N packets received in time, so I think you need to get your other participant onto a better network.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
tmladek

I see, I don't quite remember my friend having connection issues in other ways (otherwise I'd mention it), but I surely can't say I can rule them out.

Glad I now know how would network dropping out look like, for the next time I see something like this happening. Thank you for your patience!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
pljones

I'll admit, it's "well, the only thing I can think of" thing. Locally they'd not notice and their down link speed might have been fine -- this is the up link side, which often has lower capacity anyway.