Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Ozman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Nodes/Grid?

I know that I and others have requested this kind of thing before in the past.
But after messing with Bitwig's Grid a little bit, I realized that such a thing is perfect for Reaper. And I will explain why.

RS5K
The RS5K, while a functioning sampler, is way behind the time of what a sampler can do, even for a native sampler.
But with the many JSFX effects and scripts that are available in Reaper, custom samplers (like Reaktor ensembles)
can be created for specific purposes (e.g. w/ step sequencers, keyswitched articulations, velocity layers, intuitive pitch and key mapping, etc.)
There could not just be one baseline sampler for Reaper, but many, and not a super long list of requests for sampler features going to Reaper devs.
Open it to the community and let us build and share.

FX Chain Real-estate
Just think of it, a single fx instance in your FX Chain, containing your all of your channel-mixing fx and their alternative parts (deactivated of course).
All of this and only taking up one slot of your MCP's fx chain.

Feature Requests
Think of it...
- No more requests for a different sampler
- No more negative comments and comparisons concerning Reaper's lack of instruments
- Bug fixes and features would be based on existing examples of modular/nodal signal flow and UI (Blender, Bitwig, Max4live tools (e.g. Modulat), FL Studio's Patcher, etc. etc. etc.).
Content, patches, etc... would be created by users.

Spark Curiousity
Let's face it, most of the users for any DAW are most likely NOT programmers,
yet many consider themselves "audionaughts", voyaging, experimenting, etc. Finding new forms of vibe and expression in sound.
My first DAW was Reason, and it inspired me, made me fall in love with making music, all b/c it was so easy to get in and connect things.
It made me above all things: Curious.
I love Reaper, but honestly, in the area of sparking sound-design experimentation, this DAW is just not as welcoming as some others.
And let's face it, many of us use visual feedback for things that are audio.
It is true for mixing (Spectrum Analysers, Meters, etc.) and, yes, for sound design as well (signal flow, 2D placement of modules, etc.).

*** Overall, I can guarantee that such a feature would have the Reaper Stash exploding with user-made instruments (Reaper "instruments") and effect presets.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
n997

+1 to some form of node-based visual patching and programming feature in REAPER.

Ideally, it would allow to

1) use both JSFX and VST plugins as modules - so we can patch between existing devices, and also program new ones

and

2) make both instruments and effects in it - which means MIDI input and routing, at very least.

However, I'm certain that a major effort is required to realize such a feature well, at least if the intention is to match capabilities of environments like Max and Reaktor.

For example, in case of Bitwig, they've been planning a modular environment since first product announcements, but it took several years to finish and release the current form of it. And Ableton integrated already-existing, by then over 20 years old Max into Live instead of developing a whole new system. Reaktor, too, has been in development for over two decades by now.

FL Studio's Patcher I'm not sure about - it appears to be one-developer effort, intended primarily for wrapping existing plugins into nodes and routing audio and MIDI between them.
Perhaps something like that could be developed for REAPER as well. But then again, some of that kind of functionality is already possible with current audio and MIDI routing within REAPER's FX plugin chain. So the main justification for packing that into a new plugin/feature would be the user-friendliness of visual node-type UI, and perhaps some added possibilities beyond what current FX chain system can do.

In any case, hopefully developers find some fun in ideas like these
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
SpaceGoose

Default +1 YES!!!

Thank you for posting this. This would be a wonderful addition. I love this feature in Blender.

(And, I realize this is different than what you are requesting, but I am just learning about Track Wiring in REAPER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9Zg9C4gl4 Some of the features I personally wanted seem to be there.)

The node system you want, could be implemented in a similar way I would think.

Examples of this working in Fl Studio:
https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio...%20Modular.htm

And in Blender (see attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blender_nodes_setup_example1.jpg (51.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by SpaceGoose; 09-02-2020 at 03:31 PM.
SpaceGoose is offline   Reply With Quote