Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Azgtrplyr
Human being with feelings

Default Audio interface- Tascam or Focusrite

Hi all,
Im new to Reaper and need an audio interface. Ive pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Tascam Us-600 or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The Tascam has a few more inputs but from what Ive read the preamps will be better in the Focusrite. Just wondering if anyone uses either of these interfaces and if so, how good is their compatibility with Reaper ? Thanks in advance, Jim
Azgtrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
PerunZG

If you're into Tascam, there's a great deal on US-800. Just $99 now on few online stores, like Musician's Friend.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
JGrabowMST

Given how you've compared the units...

1) Will you be more likely to record more tracks at a time?

or

2) Will you be more likely to want better preamps, and recording fewer tracks at a time?

It looks like if you're sticking between these two interfaces, MIDI is the deal breaker between the two.

If MIDI isn't necessary for you, I would be tempted to say just go with the Focusrite. If you'll need MIDI, to keep things more simple, the Tascam might be better.

Another thing to compare is how well they work in whatever OS you're going to be using. Both should be rock solid in Win XP, but Win 7 is not quite so solid with some interfaces, and it shows pretty quickly.

That's how I would judge the two units. From my experience, Focusrite is higher quality, but that doesn't make it the best interface around.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Azgtrplyr

Thanks for the responses. I will most likely be recording 2 tracks at a time most of the time so number of inputs isn't an issue at this point in time. As far as MIDI, I don't have any use for it presently but will probably sometime in the future so that's something I need to reconsider. The Focusrite Saffire 6 which has MIDI was another one I looked at but it is using USB 1.1 so I ruled that one out. Trying to keep it around $200 so choices are somewhat limited.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
pixeltarian

I'd get the Scarlett. here is why:

- it's very new, which could be meaningless or could mean it's using more current tech.
- It's pretty
- in my opinion focusrite has better support than tascam
- the scarlett plugin suite is actually not too shabby.
- the reason that pretty and current are even noteworthy is because the audio quality is going to be pretty much the same on most 200ish dollar boxes (as far as pres and adc go).

if you get midi later your chosen midi device could very well have USB connectivity, eliminating the need for midi ports. If you get a device that absolutely needs real actual midi ports, you could just pick up a cakewalk (by roland) UM-3g later in life. they're about 70 bucks brand new and you get 3 channels instead of one. there's also this Chinese midi to usb thing on amazon for like 5 bucks. I have one, it worked just fine till I got my UM-3G (I needed a bunch of channels). here's a link to it: http://goo.gl/Z1qB3 - yeah. under 5 bucks and it works just as good as the 40$ m-audio midisport uno...

is there a reason you ruled out presonus? I don't love presonus but in the 200$ range all interfaces are created relatively equal anyway. you should really check this out: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxStu/

that $199 offer is a limited time so bear that in mind. has midi onboard too.

if I was getting an interface and my budget was 200 bones, that would be a no brainer. you get an interface, mic, mic cable, headphones, and studio one artist (yeah, reaper is king but studio one is at least fun to check out and see what the fuss is about).

Last edited by pixeltarian; 11-25-2011 at 12:05 AM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Azgtrplyr

The main reason I ruled out the Presonus Audiobox is because of the negative reviews I read in various places. People were complaining of the unit clipping even when volumes were turned down. That was on the older Audiobox...not sure if they fixed that problem with the newer USB 2.0 model. That does look like a good deal though, especially since I need a condenser mic.

Thats good info to know about MIDI adapters..Thx. I don't think I will worry about MIDI for now.

The Scarlett plug-ins do look like something I could use. As for the Tascam, I like that it has a S/PDIF because I have an external effects processor I can hook up to that. At the same time, I don't like the RCA outputs that the Tascam has.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
LouDorn

I just used my Scarlett for the first time with Reaper 4.
I have windows 7 Ultra 64 with 8 gigs mem, 2 7200 rpm drives.
I turned off the network, virus software and some other services.

As a total noob I recorded my guitar into channel one panned left, then track two panned right with the direct recording turned on and using a headset to listen to track 1 as I recorded track two, WARNING I AM A NOOB.

The Scarlett 2i2 recorded on playback with no pops, clicks, noise and the tone and clarity on play back was great.

I pre-installed the drivers from the Focusrite web site and when I received the Scarlett I plugged it into a USB2.0 port, it was recognized right away. Reaper saw it immediately and there were no issues. The Scarlett plugins worked fine but as a noob I'm sure I didn't know what I was doing.

So despite my noobness everything worked great and the clarity (to me) of the recording was great. I will mess with some vocals today and see how that works.

Sweetwater's rep thought the Scarlett was under priced for what it offers. He told me that the Sweetwater management advised Focusrite to sell it for more but Focusrite said no and held its price point.
Ryan Murphy of Sweetwater thought it was a great little unit.
Also it is very sturdy and looks as if it will take well to being transported as a USB device.

I hope this may help you a bit in making your choice.

Last edited by LouDorn; 11-25-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
LouDorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Azgtrplyr

Good to know..Thanks for the information !
Im running XP right now but will likely be upgrading my computer in 2012 so its good to know that its compatible with Win7. I did notice on the Focusrite website that they have a list of suggestions to "fine tune" your computer to help avoid problems using the Scarlett. If I decide on the Scarlett, hopefully my install goes as smoothly as yours did.

Let me know how the vocals turn out after you have a chance to test them.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
Unikorn

Tascam us-800 is $99.99 at Musicians Friend right now. It never hurts to have "more" than you need, and for less money than you intended to spend to begin with.
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
PerunZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unikorn View Post
Tascam us-800 is $99.99 at Musicians Friend right now. It never hurts to have "more" than you need, and for less money than you intended to spend to begin with.
That's why I bought it now. I will buy something else on Xmas, probably. Just in case.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Azgtrplyr

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided on getting the Focusrite. I expanded my choices and ordered the Scarlett 8i6. Ive read about the possible driver issues, but it seems like every interface in my price range has people complaining about drivers. If it doesn't work, I can always return it.

The deals going on the Tascams are great right now, but I got a pretty good price on the 8i6 and it has some features I like better than the Tascam 600 or 800.

It is supposed to arrive on Friday. Ill post back to report how the installation goes.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
fastlanestoner

Focusrite over Tascam any day, although the Scarlett's aren't their finest product for sure...

New Thieves & Lovers record 'Seasons' out soon!
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
redart

Default Sapphire 6

Do not rule out Sapphire 6. I am using one with an i7 processor. It is absolutely flawless in every way. No problems at all. The USB 1 vs. 2 is a non issue with this device. Also it has premo preamps installed. Best to you.
redart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Azgtrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by redart View Post
Do not rule out Sapphire 6. I am using one with an i7 processor. It is absolutely flawless in every way. No problems at all. The USB 1 vs. 2 is a non issue with this device. Also it has premo preamps installed. Best to you.
Thanks for the info. The Scarlett is arriving today, so if I can't get it to work properly I will return it and most likely order the Sapphire 6.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Azgtrplyr

Scarlett 8i6 arrived yesterday. Installation was quick and easy and it seems to be working perfectly so far. Did a few test tracks and everything was crystal clear...no pops or crackles. I still need to hook up an external FX unit to the S/PDIF...that is todays project.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Kgsweb

Be warned - I am in the process of returning my Tascam US800 to Musicians Friend and going with a Saffife 24. The US800 is a great unit, but it's drivers are horrible. It has something to do with using the interface to play video's on the internet (youtube) and mp3 files on WMP or WinAmp. Within a few hours of doing so, the US800 driver does not release RAM and you PC will run out of RAM and eventually crash or get extremely slow. I'm running a blown AMD machine with 8GB RAM and Win7 64bit. Tascam acknowledged the issue and could only recommend that I return the unit. And yes, I was using the most current version of their driver from their site. There are a few blogs/forums out there that documents this issue as well.

Great unit for a fantastic price -- but get ready for memory leak issues....
Kgsweb is offline   Reply With Quote