Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
chrisharbin
Human being with feelings

Default NI studio drummer and multi outs?

Seriously, I cannot get SD to be multi out. For whatever reason, when I create more channels SD's only option is "1"

There has to be something I'm missing here (and I never usually have problems with kontakt and multi outs.)
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
chrisharbin

Well, using kontakt as a multi instrument isn't too hard, but as ONE instrument and having multiple outs is just a pain (roll)

Slowly but surely......glad I have nice easy stuff like SupDrummer/EZdrummer to use while I get more complex K5 templates made up (roll)

(roll)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
JamesG

First make sure your instance of Kontakt is setup for multiple channels in the output section.
Load Studio Drummer into Kontakt. Go into the mixer view. Select the instrument you want to route (eg. Kick drum). At the bottom left is the word 'settings'. Click on it. Then over on the right side you'll see the 'channel' section. Click on the output list and if you have the Kontakt outputs setup for multiple outs, you will see a list of all available output channels. I did discover that the master output still contains everything and is output on the first output so you'd need to send the individual items to channels 2 & higher.

I hope that's what you were after. Thanks for the question, I had forgotten that the instrument did that. I'm going to have to try using it myself.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
robo

Yep you need to create multiple outputs in Kontakt's output panel then load your instrument. As of Kontakt 4.2 you can save your output mappings as presets which rocks.

The only thing that's annoying is the scribble strips on the channels is way too narrow and the i/o assignment popup box is always off in the i/o number it displays. Oh NI how ye mocketh me.

-robo
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
chrisharbin

Thanks guys. I think I've got it now (or at least I'm on the right track)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
JCcares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
First make sure your instance of Kontakt is setup for multiple channels in the output section.
Load Studio Drummer into Kontakt. Go into the mixer view. Select the instrument you want to route (eg. Kick drum). At the bottom left is the word 'settings'. Click on it. Then over on the right side you'll see the 'channel' section. Click on the output list and if you have the Kontakt outputs setup for multiple outs, you will see a list of all available output channels. I did discover that the master output still contains everything and is output on the first output so you'd need to send the individual items to channels 2 & higher.
I have been searching all over & finally came into this forum to finally find an answer on how to set up SD multiple outs.I am using Logic Studio in this case.Is it really possible to have each instrument on the SD kit on separate channels on the DAW? I am only seeing 2 options on the channel page ( St1 & St2) & Surround.How can I set up individual instruments like BD,Snare etc to appear in my DAW on separate channels.Pls help.
JCcares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
JCcares

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Thanks guys. I think I've got it now (or at least I'm on the right track)
If you've 'got it',even if it was years back can you please explain how you set up SD to have each instrument on each channel?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Press the "Output" button on Kontakt's top toolbar. It should be fairly obvious how to create new plugin outputs from there on. Then save this as default output layout (you have an option for that in the dropdown menu there. Then reload Kontakt instance and instrument.

BTW, you won't be able to put "each instrument" on its own channel, you will simply be able to route SD's mixer channels to individual plugin outputs this way. Which means all cymbals are mostly going to be on the overhead and room channels, etc.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
chrisharbin

Let me put it to you this way.........I use the OTHER SD and don't futz with kontakt anymore than I need to.

Seriously, I thought I had it, don't got it and done with it.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
EvilDragon

I really can't see what's all the fuss with setting Kontakt's outputs. It's dead simple and done in seconds... I'm gonna do a LICEcap when I get back home.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
chrisharbin

groovy, will look forward to it!

Seems to me that in K4 I did not have teh issuz, but in K5 it's been miserable.

Oddly enough, having 8 instruments open in K is no problem. It's one instrument with multi outs that is the issue.......don't know why.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
EvilDragon

K4 and K5 are the same w.r.t. creating outputs, so I'm not sure where the issue might lie. PEBKAC?

Anyways, I'm back home in about two hours, so keep sitting on that chair.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
K4 and K5 are the same w.r.t. creating outputs, so I'm not sure where the issue might lie. PEBKAC?

Anyways, I'm back home in about two hours, so keep sitting on that chair.
Oh no, going to beddy bye. Something to look forward to tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
EvilDragon

There we go. Kontakt with multiple outputs in Reaper. Watch out, 9 MB unoptimized (one take only) GIF!

http://i.minus.com/iohiBmKS2lI1Q.gif

This is literally done in seconds... BTW, you need to load 64-output version if you want to use up to 32 stereo outputs (logically). Also, other DAWs will likely require that you reload Kontakt after you change its output settings. But not Reaper, hehehe
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
DarkStar

^^^^
Just wondering' - why create 24 new mixer (stereo) channels? Wouldn't 12 be enough for Studio Drummer? Of course, the others can be used for other instruments.

------------
This was my method:
First off, create additional channels in the Kontakt Outputs section (Mixer)
-- section 14 in the Kontakt 5 Reference manual will tell you how
-- create a total of 12 channels to match SD, name them, and route them (to consecutive pairs of "plugin outputs"),
-- save the config as a preset,
-- you may need to remove Kontakt from the track and reload it.

Next, create the routing for the audio in Reaper:
-- in the FX Chain window, click [Option], select "Build multichannel routing for output ..."
-- you'll get 32 tracks as Kontakt 5 is "64 out", you only need the first 12 for the SD main outputs, but I would keep the 4 Aux too (so that you can apply Kontakt's FX if you wish), so delete the last 16.

Finally, load SD in Kontakt and route its channels
-- on the SD Mixer page (Performance View)
-- select each kit piece and select its output channel
-- pages 17 and 23 in the Studuo Drummer manual.

In Reaper, save the lot as a track template
-- create a folder track above the Kontakt track
-- create a "end-folder" dummy track below the 16th audio output track
-- select all 19 tracks and Save them as a Track Template, for next time.

Here is a similar example in Kontakt 3.5 (the Reaper theme is Apollo 4), using 2 separate instruments rather than the Studio Drummer architecture.
-- 12 drum outputs
-- 4 Aux outputs
-- everything in a "Drums" folder
-- I loaded two Toms instruments (on different MIDI channels) just as an example, routed to "TomA" and "TomB"
-- the first Tom is also routed to Aux 1, where an FX is applied

Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/yte6U.png
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
Just wondering' - why create 24 new mixer (stereo) channels? Wouldn't 12 be enough for Studio Drummer? Of course, the others can be used for other instruments.
I create 24 stereo channels, and use the remaining 8 mono channels as 4 stereo aux channels in Kontakt's output mixer. Just a personal preference.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
DigiDis

I found the second half of this video helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HufsGElCe2w
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
chrisharbin

I will try later (need to get my walk in)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
lxm

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=118
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
JCcares

Quote:
There we go. Kontakt with multiple outputs in Reaper. Watch out, 9 MB unoptimized (one take only) GIF!

http://i.minus.com/iohiBmKS2lI1Q.gif

Thanks for the replies which i am going through right now..There is no audio on the video link you sent.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
chrisharbin

And I've given up again. LOL

Gif is relatively brilliant, but it doesn't work that way here.....I have no idea why. Much props to Evil Dragon though! (it's not anyones fault this isn't working, something weird on my end)

Anyways, I get my (wait for it........) KICKS from the other SD and everything works exactly as it should with no more learning or trying or getting frustrated. So I'm outtie!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCcares View Post
Thanks for the replies which i am going through right now..There is no audio on the video link you sent.

That's because it's not a video, it's a GIF picture.

@chrisharbin - one of these days, if you're willing, we might do a short TeamViewer session, try to see what's wrong. It should definitely work. Can you make it work in standalone?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
chrisharbin

Quote:
That's because it's not a video, it's a GIF picture.

@chrisharbin - one of these days, if you're willing, we might do a short TeamViewer session, try to see what's wrong. It should definitely work. Can you make it work in standalone?
Kinda. But it's not quite the same. Something is wrong. I can do a multiout with multi midi in reap no problem. But getting SD to have mulitouts (I'm guessing any of the drum line would be the same though I haven't tried it with abbeyroad) is the issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #24
EvilDragon

Well, you do have to select to which output you want to send each mixer channel in SD, after you define the Kontakt's outputs on the Output tab... That's all there is to it, really.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
DigiDis

Chris, did you get this to work yet? Darkstar's setup is good, and is how I set up Studio Drummer for multi outs in Reaper.

Here is the same in other words:

Open Kontakt (either the 16 out or the 64 out) but do not even load SD. Go to the outputs section and create 7 more stereo tracks and name them Kick, Snare, Hats, Toms, Other, OH St, Room, OH M. Leave the aux channels alone. When done go to the Presets/Batch Configuration button and save this as a preset, something like Studio Drums Multi Out. Then close Kontakt completely.

Reopen Kontakt and load your output config preset you just saved. Then load SD. In the mixer of SD click on the kick tab, go to settings and change the channel output from master to Kick. Rinse and repeat for the others. Then go to the outputs of each output channel in the Kontakt mixer and click to open the dialog. Kick should already be routed to stereo 1 and 2. Go to Snare and open it. Here you want to change the physical out of channel 1 to Kt Aux 1[1]. On channel two change it to to Kt Aux 1[2]. For Hats choose the Kt Aux 2 pair. Go down the list choosing in pairs and you will have to use the unassigned pairs as well. Choose the unconnected option for the Aux outputs. Test with a groove loop. Then in the FX window right click on kontakt and choose the build multi-output routing.

I put everything in a track folder to have a drum bus. Save all this as a track template and you are good to go.

Last edited by DigiDis; 04-04-2012 at 11:18 PM.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
Stu

The thing that stumped me for ages was the fact you have to set up all the kontakt mixer outputs before loading the actual instrument, or studio drummer/abbey road etc won't 'see' them. If I made a track template with kontakt where the routing was already set up, would others be able to use it? I've no idea if it would save all the internal kontakt routing etc or just the vst outs to channels.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #27
EvilDragon

You can also set the outputs after you load the NKI... However in that case you need to restart Kontakt's engine by pressing the "!" button in upper right corner. Works in standalone. However, for VSTi, you probably need to reload the instance (except in Reaper).
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #28
Stu

Yesterday I finally got around to having a good play with studio drummer and noticed some very strange behaviour whilst setting up a multi out. When I did this for abbey road modern, I created several mono and stereo channels in the Kontakt mixer and chose 'delete existing channels'. This worked fine, but following the same process in SD didn't behave as expected, whilst I could buss direct mics etc to their respective kontakt channels, the stereo room mics/OH's would only show up in the kontakt mixer as mono signals. Very odd. In the end I worked out that if I left the original 'St.1' channel in the mixer, all created mono and stereo channels worked correctly.

Chrisharbin, I made a template in reaper and also saved .nki files for each studio kit that have correct routing, it's set up the way I like it so might not fit your needs but I'll put it up for download somewhere if it would help you out.

The template runs (from memory)

Drum buss [kick, snare, hats, Toms [tom1, tom2, tom3] Tambourine, Percussion, OH, Room, Mono OH]
Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
Stu

Oh, and Kontakt is saved within the template with the mixer all set up, so you'd just load my template then load one of my .nki's and you should be all set up.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #30
cjg

Hey Stu...

is there any way you can post/upload that template...would be really helpful for me! :-)
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
Stu

Sure, here is the reaper track template -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10584067/Sha...RTrackTemplate

You'll still need to set up Studio Drummer to output correctly, send each mic channel to the correct outputs in Kontakt. If you want the .nki files I made send me a PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
lxm

A little OT but does anyone else find that Studio Drummer is inferior to the Abbey Road series? Abbey sounds far more organic and harmonic IMO.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #33
cjg

Hi Stu...

Thanks for that! Somehow though when i click on the link i get a whole lot of text...is it just me??
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #34
Stu

I can't speak for the other Abbey Road sets but compared to AR modern, I prefer Studio Drummer. There is a lot I like about AR but the fundamental sound of the kits is more suited to my taste in SD. For me -

Abbey Road Modern:
+
Nicer Tom sound in the direct mics.
White Kit has great hats.
Nice rooms.
-
Snares have character but I find them hard to sit in a mix.
Snare samples are a little too inconsistent, or too varied within each articulation.
OH sounds too weak and thin to base your drum sound on.
Limited cymbals (white kit not having a proper second crash)

Studio Drummer:
+
More 'useful' or multi purpose kit sounds.
Fantastic OH sound, great if you want that live in the room vibe where hardly any close mics are used.
Nice rooms.
More general purpose cymbals.
-
Some of the close miced tom sounds are horrid, Garage kit floor tom for example.
Hats are nice, but all 3 sound very similar and all are huge 15 or 16"
I don't really get on with any of the alternative snares.

I'm going to have to make some sort of hybrid between the two by loading both into a single instance of kontakt
Old 04-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #35
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Hi Stu...

Thanks for that! Somehow though when i click on the link i get a whole lot of text...is it just me??
Right click - save as.

Then put the file in user>application data>Reaper>Track Templates
Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
chrisharbin

I just wanted to update this a year later. I neither care nor know WHY this works all the sudden or what turned on my head, but here it is up and working.

Many people put a TON of their valuable time into this and I just wanted to say thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
Barksy

Just bought K9U and am trying this now. No luck yet, seems only the kick drum sounds normal volume and others are being picked up by other mics. I think setting up the 16 tracks automatically in Reaper is not doing it right, and think i saw on Youtube the same thing. I'm going to go and clean the yard, and come back fresh.

Frustrating when you have a new toy!
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #38
Stu

Did you try the track template I posted higher up the thread? Load that and you should be all set.

Edit: you're using ultimate and my template uses Kontakt 5 player so it won't work, sorry!

Load Kontakt 64 out version and let Reaper build the tracks routing. Load Studio Drummer, add the required channels in the Kontakt mixer and then click the '!' Button in Kontakt to restart the engine.

Now in the actual Studio Drummer mixer, select the outputs to the Kontakt mixer - the signal flow is:

Studio Mixer channels>Kontakt mixer channels>Reaper tracks

Once you've got everything routed you can delete any unused/unneeded tracks in Reaper, then save the whole thing as a track template for easy recall.

Last edited by Stu; 08-02-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #39
chrisharbin

kontakt 5 player and the full version are likely the same at using templates, no?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #40
Barksy

in the end, yes, it is Kontakt that I am loading as a VST.

Back now, dusted off the dirt, and ready to try this again! I'll start with your 2nd idea Stu, then try your template if it doesn't work.

Well, it does work, just that I can't get it to work!
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote