Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder View Post
What is the secret to recording drums in REAPER and actually having real audio play back when you are done?
Enable Monitor input (right-click on the little speaker button on the track, to the left of "in" button, and make sure "Monitor Input" is checked). Also, you need to have the track armed if you want to monitor it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #42
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sorry, I gave you a direct link to PDF. Don't click on it, but instead right-click and "Save as..."
I'm still having issues with the PDF...it crashes Adobe after a few minutes. Wish somebody out here could tell me how to get drums record
bkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #43
EvilDragon

Try Foxit Reader instead Adobe Reader

I think I have explained everything you need to have to record drums... Sorry, it's late over here, but I'm pretty sure I gave you all the info you need. If you need more info, please be as specific as you can. I told you that you can render your project with Ctrl+Alt+R, you most certainly HAVE sound if you have your AD track record enabled and set to Monitor input. What more do you need?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #44
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Try Foxit Reader instead Adobe Reader

I think I have explained everything you need to have to record drums... Sorry, it's late over here, but I'm pretty sure I gave you all the info you need. If you need more info, please be as specific as you can. I told you that you can render your project with Ctrl+Alt+R, you most certainly HAVE sound if you have your AD track record enabled and set to Monitor input. What more do you need?
good night then kind sir. And thank you.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #45
EvilDragon

Thanks. I would like you to continue asking questions, there are users in different timezones who could help you out with your recording issues, but for starters I think you should have sound coming out from AD, and you should be able to edit and add MIDI in piano roll, and you should be able to drag the beats from AD to Reaper's track. Just be VERY specific when stating what you want to do and how, and I'm sure people will chime in.

Even when I'm asleep.

Cheers!

(And definitely try Foxit Reader instead of Adobe, it's much lighter on resources and faster to load. It also never crashed on me.)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #46
bkinder

Quote:
good night then kind sir. And thank you.
Figured it out my friend..thanks for all of the support! Cheers!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #47
msly

Just gonna chime in at the end of this thread to say I have AD and Love it... i coupled it with some GrooveMonkee midi drum files and I have all i need to kick out some cool tunes.....
msly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #48
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by msly View Post
Just gonna chime in at the end of this thread to say I have AD and Love it... i coupled it with some GrooveMonkee midi drum files and I have all i need to kick out some cool tunes.....
But how to render the midi drums to audio....I have no clue? Can you help?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #49
msly

Quote:
But how to render the midi drums to audio....I have no clue? Can you help?
If you are using Reaper which i assume you are... just send the audio from the track AD is to another track and record it. Or just render the original track to MP3 or wave or what ever format you like.... are you familiar with recording in reaper?
msly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #50
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by msly View Post
If you are using Reaper which i assume you are... just send the audio from the track AD is to another track and record it. Or just render the original track to MP3 or wave or what ever format you like.... are you familiar with recording in reaper?
Yes I am using REAPER. The MIDI drums were recorded on an AD track or virtual instrument track in REAPER. But even though you can play it back, technically it is not audio. Therefore, when I render the project as is, I am left with only my other tracks for example (bass, rythm guitar, lead guitar). I do not know how to "send the AD track to another tack and record it". I would love to know. Right now it is sitting in a track as Midi. What I did last night which is really ass-backwards is to set microphones up to a speaker which I played only the drums out of and recorded them. Then I was left with a second generation drum "technically" audio track. But it is not the right way. Here is the track by the way...the video cuts out after a minute and a half, but the music is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWRPcr2Uo8
Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #51
Charango

Quote:
I do not know how to "send the AD track to another tack and record it". I would love to know.
To quickly render a midi track to audio (or any track that has FX on it)-

right click on your Midi Track and select "Apply track FX as items to new take" - yes I know from that name it is not immediately apparent that you are rendering a midi track to audio
This will give you a stereo audio file. If you just want a mono audio track, choose the mono option.
Now, this will give you an audio track highlighted just under the midi track. You can either keep the midi one in case you want to go back and change something later, or delete it (as well as your AD FX) and just keep the audio one, thus freeing up some cpu.

Having said that, I don't understand why when you rendered the whole project the midi drums weren't rendered as audio too-they should have been. Basically, anything you can hear while playing a project in reaper (even midi which is processed through a VST instrument) will be included in the render process-check your render options.

Last edited by Charango; 09-26-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #52
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
Basically, anything you can hear while playing a project in reaper (even midi which is processed through a VST instrument) will be included in the render process-check your render options.
Yes, this is correct. What I said to you (Ctrl+Alt+R) is rendering the whole project, which means that you won't end up with MIDI, but everything renders to audio.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #53
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
To quickly render a midi track to audio (or any track that has FX on it)-

right click on your Midi Track and select "Apply track FX as items to new take" - yes I know from that name it is not immediately apparent that you are rendering a midi track to audio
This will give you a stereo audio file. If you just want a mono audio track, choose the mono option.
Now, this will give you an audio track highlighted just under the midi track. You can either keep the midi one in case you want to go back and change something later, or delete it (as well as your AD FX) and just keep the audio one, thus freeing up some cpu.

Having said that, I don't understand why when you rendered the whole project the midi drums weren't rendered as audio too-they should have been. Basically, anything you can hear while playing a project in reaper (even midi which is processed through a VST instrument) will be included in the render process-check your render options.
This method works!! I feel light years ahead now...I thank you! Are you guys all on the other side of the world from the U.S.? Just wondering.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #54
Charango

Quote:
Are you guys all on the other side of the world from the U.S.? Just wondering.
Well, if Europe is the other side of the world then yes
I live in France (born in Scotland though), ED is from Croatia.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #55
Tedwood

There are some REAPER tutorials here

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/

This is the one you watch first

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/2010/0...aper-blog-com/
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #56
bkinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
There are some REAPER tutorials here

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/

This is the one you watch first

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/2010/0...aper-blog-com/
Hey you guys ROCK man! I'm going to re-record this song (I am re doing the lead guitar right now) and am going to properly render the entire song with the drums and re-post it here for you to check out. Be back soon!

Cheers.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #57
EvilDragon

BTW, you don't really NEED to render drums to audio before doing the final master render. You can simply leave them in MIDI anyways, there's no difference in sound output. You render the drums from MIDI only if you want to save on resources. If resources are not the problem for you, you don't really need to render the drums from MIDI.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #58
bkinder

Quote:
Hey you guys ROCK man! I'm going to re-record this song (I am re doing the lead guitar right now) and am going to properly render the entire song with the drums and re-post it here for you to check out. Be back soon!

Cheers.
Here is the new video. Still having the same trouble with drums...but I did re-record the guitar track. Hope you enjoy this Otis Rush song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYtPVSMiO8
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #59
thestiffness

Default Resurrection!!! Ta Da!!!

Howdy! I hate to resurrect this issue, as it's been enjoying an extensive slumber, but I'm having the same issues getting Reaper to recognize Addictive Drums.

The crazy thing is, that AD doesn't give the option to specify where the .dll files are installed. You download the online installer, register, load your Serial Number, click install, and it starts doing its thing. Now, I'm new to to the whole game but not that new, and it seems as though something must be wrong. I have no Steinburg folder that houses any VST plugins. In fact, when I do a system scan for VST plugins, I get nothing. What?? I'm running Win 7 (64bit) with Reaper's newest (4.26) 64-bit version. So, pleaaasseee... someone help a brother out. I can't get any feedback from XLN, other than the basic stuff like "Did you install the software?" (what??? der...) So, any help would be AWESOME!
thestiffness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #60
DarkStar

^^^^
See your other thread.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
CGB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
If you do not choose your own directory AD will put the program in:

C:\Programs\XLN Audio

Then it puts the .dll in:

C:\Programs\VST plugins , or similar name. This is the folder to point REAPER at
This is BS.

I tried this with Addictive Drums and now with Sound Trek and it is a huge pain in the ass and extremely frustrating. Nobody really knows and the installer in my case seem to have installed everything but the application.

WHY NOT... type the name of the program into something called ADD VSTi or ADD VST into Reaper and stop all the other crap. This is bullshit! I don't know if the problem is Reaper or the VSTi for hiding. In my case a load of files show up with stupid names most of which are documents.

The intelligent thing to do is have the VSTi Icon appear on the desktop. Right click on it and have it ask what DAW's file you want it to go in.

Locate the VST folder? Good luck with that. When the AD online intaller does it thing it does not tell you where it put the app.

With SoundTrek you unzip the files and there is no way of knowing which one is the application. You click what is the largest file and it asks if you want to install it. It show up in Programs as SoundTrek but you don't know what it is. You clik it and a fly out calls itself SoundTrekDrummer. Then you get the following selections:

Create Beats Tutorial
Release Note
Sound Treck Drummer Help
Sound Treck Manual PDF
Uninstall Sound Treck Drummer (I hope that one works)

Then when you search you get a lot more files none of which seem to be the app.

One is called C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\SoundTrek\SoundTrekDrummer Reaper can't find it.

Am I supposed to create a VST folder? and put C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\SoundTrek\SoundTrekDrummer in it?

Is there something I should be putting in the text box. I put C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\SoundTrek\SoundTrekDrummer in the text box, click Add and it vanishes.

I have put file names in the text box and the same thing happens.

Do these VSTi drum machines work if you don't have a DAW? I mean can you open them? I have clicked Open and it take me to a file. I click the file and then the installer opens. It goes through an installation, I see names of drums and kits being installed but nothing changes.

I am assuming that AD and SoundTrek Drums are on my computer but I don't know.

I give up.
CGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #62
Stu

No most will not work standalone, and if they do it will have a seperate installer for the standalone part. vsti plugins need a DAW to run, and they all work the same way - a .dll file which you have to put in a path, then you direct the DAW to that same path.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #63
Fierce

Evening

Better to resurrect old thread than to start a new one?

I'm in the process of installing a new SSD boot drive. So I'm going through and moving off my current system drive onto a second larger drive. I'll config new SSD elsewhere and pop it in, so previous system disk not needed except for storage

Anyway. I have all my plugins on a different drive, but since I messed around I'm having real problems

Latest of which is that whilst AD is in the correct folder, Reaper doesn't find it when searching

I've done everything in this thread and more, but I'm all out of ideas

I've reinstalled both Reaper and AD, and I can see the actual Addictive Drums DLL, but still, can't find it

Are there any issues with the AD file being x64? I installed that version of Reaper

Bridging issue maybe? Set to automatic (when required)

HELP
Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #64
mike8luk

Default Snare L / R

Hey folks, does anyone know what "Snare L" and "Snare R" actually mean in the drum map? Are these the "left snare drum" and the "right snare drum", essentially modelling two snares in a kit, or it means Left and Right hand hits - in which case the two have to be alternated when programming a snare fill to sound more authentic?
mike8luk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #65
DarkStar

.. replied in your other post