Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Gerry P
Human being with feelings

Default Change location of the ProjectTemplates folder

Is there a way to change the default path of the "ProjectTemplates" from "C:\Users\nnnn\AppData\Roaming\Reaper\ProjectTempl ates" to my Reaper "Projects" folder?

The "SWS:[Deprecated] Load project template nn" action doesn't seem to work as it should.

Last edited by Gerry P; 08-21-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Gerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Gerry P

bump...
Old 08-24-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
Is there a way to change the default path of the "ProjectTemplates" from "C:\Users\nnnn\AppData\Roaming\Reaper\ProjectT empl ates" to my Reaper "Projects" folder?
I guess you could try making/using a symbolic (directory) link: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/

Quote:
The "SWS:[Deprecated] Load project template nn" action doesn't seem to work as it should.
Does it show any error messages when trying to use these Actions? Or is there a different problem?

I think for using these Actions, the [ Project ] Slots under Extensions > Resources need to have the same ('nn') number included in the name column entries.
As example:
  • Slot: 1 | Name: 01 Default Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 01
  • Slot: 2 | Name: 02 Mastering Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 02
  • Slot: 3 | Name: 03-Test Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 03

Otherwise, in case you don't already know it, you might also check out ReaLauncher (see link in my signature) for loading templates

By the way: any specific reason why you want to change the templates folder path? Depending on the use case, there might perhaps be also other options ...

Last edited by solger; 08-24-2019 at 04:05 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
I guess you could try making/using a symbolic (directory) link: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/

Does it show any error messages when trying to use these Actions? Or is there a different problem?

I think for using these Actions, the [ Project ] Slots under Extensions > Resources need to have the same ('nn') number included in the name column entries.
As example:
  • Slot: 1 | Name: 01 Default Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 01
  • Slot: 2 | Name: 02 Mastering Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 02
  • Slot: 3 | Name: 03-Test Template <-- Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template 03

Otherwise, in case you don't already know it, you might also check out ReaLauncher (see link in my signature) for loading templates

By the way: any specific reason why you want to change the templates folder path? Depending on the use case, there might perhaps be also other options ...
Thanks for the reply. Although the "Xenakios/SWS: [Deprecated] Load project template nn" works, the big problem is that once applied, Reaper looses the "Project" path.

So when you go to Save As a new project, you have to point to the Project directory - for me its on a different drive than where the Templates are stored (by default). Otherwise, it stores the new Porject in the Templates folder.

And I will look into "ReaLauncher" for sure.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Gerry P

I seem to have the same issue with ReaLauncher (which is a very nice script).

Launch Reaper with my default project file as a template, located in my Projects folder.

Choose "Save project as..." to save this as a new project, it points to my Projects folder, as it should.

Close this window without saving.

Run ReaLauncher, and choose the Project Templates tab (it lists all the templates available at Reapers default Template folder in C:\...Roaming\Reaper\ProjectTemplates), as it should.

Choose a template from the list and "Load".
It loads the proper template but the last open window of ReaLauncher wants to "Save Project". However, it is now pointing to the default Template folder and not the Projects folder.
If I cancel this window to completely close ReaLauncher, and then do a "File/Save project as...", it is still pointing to the Template folder and not the Projects folder.

Reaper has lost track of where the Projects folder is.

My Projects folder is on an external drive and is properly set as such in Preferences.

As this Reaper behavior when using the "SWS: [Deprecated]..." script has always been the case for me, whether the Projects folder is on an internal or external drive, perhaps it is something at my end (as this doesn't seem to be an issue for others), although I don't know where else to look.

Also in ReaLauncher, the 1st three tabs all list the correct files and path. However, the Projects tab (as well as the Backups tab) is empty. If I hit the "Open Project" button, it opens up the microsoft file explorer window, and at the proper Projects folder.

Last edited by Gerry P; 08-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
... As this Reaper behavior when using the "SWS: [Deprecated]..." script has always been the case for me, whether the Projects folder is on an internal or external drive, perhaps it is something at my end (as this doesn't seem to be an issue for others), although I don't know where else to look.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, I think this might be a general Reaper 'issue' of storing/recalling the last used directory globally in some cases. In this case maybe because Reaper Projects and Project Templates share the same .RPP file extension and therefore changing the directory to the last loaded .RPP file (when using one of the currently available Actions or API functions) is handled the same for both.

I'm already curious how the loading of project templates (and changing of directories) will behave with this API update: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221668

Quote:
Also in ReaLauncher, the 1st three tabs all list the correct files and path. However, the Projects tab (as well as the Backups tab) is empty...
Did you already set a folder path in ReaLauncher's Options for those tabs?

Last edited by solger; 08-25-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
Gerry P

Quote:
In this case maybe because Reaper Projects and Project Templates share the same .RPP file extension and therefore changing the directory to the last loaded .RPP file (when using one of the currently available Actions or API functions) is handled the same for both.
yes, that makes sense

Quote:
I'm already curious how the loading of project templates (and changing of directories) will behave with this API update: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221668

Justin updated his comment as of yesterday so it looks like it's finally going to happen.

Quote:
Did you already set a folder path in ReaLauncher's Options for those tabs?

mmm, I can't seem to find Options in ReaLauncher.

EDIT - The GUI needed to be widened. Now I see the Options button.

Using the Options to set the Projects path worked and double-clicking on the selected file worked, although the Project path is now pointing to the Templates folder.

The one little issue of ReaLauncher is that when a template is loaded, ReaLauncher wants to Save As a new Project even is the "Prompt to save on new project" is checked or unchecked.

Great work on ReaLauncher.

Last edited by Gerry P; 08-25-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
The one little issue of ReaLauncher is that when a template is loaded, ReaLauncher wants to Save As a new Project even is the "Prompt to save on new project" is checked or unchecked.
Showing the Save As window is currently a workaround (to prevent accidentally saving over the currently loaded project template file) which I hope shouldn't be necessary anymore once the API function update (mentioned in my previous post) for loading project templates is out.

Quote:
Great work on ReaLauncher.
Thanks.

In case you might encounter any errors/bugs or you have any feature requests, ideas for improvements, etc. feel free to post them into the dedicated ReaLauncher thread

Last edited by solger; 08-25-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Gerry P

Quote:
In case you might encounter any errors/bugs or you have any feature requests, ideas for improvements, etc. feel free to post them into the dedicated ReaLauncher thread

Will do.