I'll investigate Edit Groups and vote.
BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #82
Riddler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
@Riddler, can you play alternate audio tracks in VLC ? If so, we might stand a chance of FFMEG doing this easily.
Yep, VLC gives you the option of choosing your audio track via the Audio/Audio Track menu.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #83
Riddler

Airon, I've also been through a few of your feature requests and I'm sure you've been complimented on them before, but I thought they were extremely well thought out and had excellent accompanying documentation. You have my votes!

Tim :-)
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #84
plush2

This is great. Nice to see more audio-post discussions here. Voted (for everything).
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #85
BlackBart

Quick Track Groups/Track Edit Lock story...

The director of the film I'm scoring came by. He said..."Hey, let's try that cue in this other scene." I made a region, and copied it to the new scene,later in the timeline. When I removed the cutup pieces of the video track made by this global edit, and draged the right edge out to the end...he said...

"Dude, CAN'T YOU LOCK THAT TRACK?"
I said "NOPE...but it's really a great program!"
He said..."Uh...sure."
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #86
lucky_bleeder

Default video window badness

I've got all the appropriate codecs installed and most formats seem to run ok in version 4 64bit , but only as long as the play cursor doesn't go beyond the end of the video clip/item.

Try this...

Load a .mov file
Set a loop well within the start and end of the file

Hit play and everything works as expected.

Now remove the loop and let the play cursor go beyond the end of the clip/item
Play from the beginning again
Video window is now blank , and stays that way.

If you reload the same file it still won't work.
But load a file of a different format and it will work again..... until the end of the file is passed and then its back to blankness.

I'm on Windows 7 64, most recent version of Reaper 64.
lucky_bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #87
lucky_bleeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_bleeder View Post
I've got all the appropriate codecs installed and most formats seem to run ok in version 4 64bit , but only as long as the play cursor doesn't go beyond the end of the video clip/item.

Try this...

Load a .mov file

But load a file of a different format and it will work again..... until the end of the file is passed and then its back to blankness.

so no one else is seeing this ?
lucky_bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #88
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Nope. Tried various movs which use different codecs. Nothing, they all played perfectly.
What are the specs of your movs (codecs, size, playrate etc)?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #89
strinxx

Quote:
Exactly the same here!

Not good!!!

strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #90
airon

Please post the contents of the Source Properties window of the video item.

That will show us what is being used to play the video file, whether it's FFMPEG and which version of it, or whether it's the system codecs like Quicktime.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #91
theizer1

Default video window badness

Quote:

Try this...

Load a .mov file

I am able to consistantly reproduce this issue.

Source Properties:

Length: 1:06.066
Video: 1280x720@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using Quicktime decoder (bridged)

Last edited by theizer1; 04-15-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: adding details
theizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #92
airon

Interesting.

That's the kind of detail required for a usable bug report.

Confirmed for 4.22pre1a x64 with using the bridged Quicktime decoder.

Quicktime version : 7.7.1 (Control Panel "Quicktime 32-bit", "About Quicktime" button)

The following happens for me:

When playing past the end you get a black video screen. Ok. It generally stays black.

The playhead returns to the starting position when I stop the transport, but no video frame from that position is displayed.

After a click , a frame does appear, but any second click in the material just gets you ... the same frame, so this method seems to be broken. You have to click outside the video item again and click inside to get a single frame. Playback gets you nothing. No updates.

Using the FFMPEG libraries, instead of OS decoding (Preferences/Video), everything works just fine. Check the video link in my signature to find the right version that currently works in Reaper just fine. That is tested and verified by multiple folks around here.

This means that Prores codec in Quicktime container-users are screwed of course, since FFMPEG cannot decode those. Those users were the ones who requested better Quicktime support in the 64-bit version of Reaper in the first place.

I hope this gets fixed quickly. And perhaps you can finally address "Resize video to original size" in the context menu of the video window. That hasn't worked for years fellas. Yes, years.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #93
hopi

well hell... I'm again finding video in reaper 4.23x not working very well

I'm on a win XP 32 bit system
have the ffmpg codecs installed
have quicktime installed
have VLC installed

and... trying to play in reaper a HD Mp4

that one chockes and spits and is useless, but it plays fine in VLC

so did a convert with it in VLC to a more standard form of mp4...
Still sux in reaper, but still plays fine in VLC

so did another convert with VLC of the original file, the mpg
that loads into reaper but has no audio and no video... no wav forms show on the track and no sound and no picture play...

So really, the obvious question comes up: If VLC can do all this so nicely, why can't Reaper do the same????
Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #94
airon

Maybe not the same libraries being used. Maybe VLC is better at buffering and seeking video.

I certainly know that Quicktime is much quicker at this, as is Protools.

Nevertheless, it pays to use the right codecs.

Quicktime/MKV H264 without B-frames (keyframe distance 1 or 0 iirc). Quicktime PhotoJPEG.

They work very well, especially PhotoJPEG for quick seeking. Reapers video playback system is not up to par with the better candidates, but it works well enough to let you work, if you use the proper codec/container combo.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #95
hopi

I can't really agree with that airon.... It's way too often a lot of time and trouble to take a piece of video that is unhappy in reaper and spend the time dealing with conversions of it to find something that works smoothly inside reaper...

I just say again, "If VLC, which is a free app, can do this so well, why can reaper not do as well?" ...and you know I'm a reaper lover not a basher... but in this one area at least, it is very lacking IMHO.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #96
airon

That's simplifying the issue too much.

We've had these problems in all post production-related tasks. Simple playback is usually not the issue, but exotic formats have always been supported either in a less usable fashion or not at all.

VLC probably uses the most recent FFMPEG libraries, which are likely to be more efficient and compatible. Plus, it's a video player that has matured over the last ten years or so. It is built to play everything.

I don't think Reaper is. And poorly chosen codec/container formats will play less well in any DAW. I've tried to write down recommendations that seemingly work well, in terms of which FFMPEG build to use, which codec/container combos work well for certain tasks.

My recommendation for a conversion program still stands however, and that is MPEG Streamclip.

VLC is rather difficult to setup and operate, and I'm not even sure the results are very compatible with anything, i.e. I know nothing about that.

MPEG Streamclip can generate legal Quicktimes and a huge bunch of other container/codec combos. You'll be much better off using that. It's free and available for both Windows and OSX.

Btw, I've used HD MP4 files as well, but there seem to be a range of different kinds, but it's been a while since I ran in to a nasty one. I get mine from either Vegas, After Effects or the Adobe Media Encoder. The stuff from Youtube is great too (MP4 downloads). If the seeking is too slow for my work, I convert them with MPEG Streamclip in to a Quicktime/PhotoJPEG or Quicktime/H264(with keyframe distance 0).
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #97
hopi

thanks airon... I'll get and try that streamclip converter

so far all attempts at a conversion have loaded into reaper semi ok... but when playing the video does not progress with the audio

in other words, I hear the audio but the video will either be black screen or will will remain on a partiular frame while the audio moves ahead...

I admit and has said my system is not very powerful, but it can handle video in vegas, in vlc, quicktime, and some others OK

also, video in other daw's that support it seem better, but truly I don't go there often...

reaper is where I want to be...

so I say again... [more kindly this time] video in reaper sux! hahaha Make is as good as VLC and I'll just shut up and lie down.

PS so been running slipstream now on one file to convert to a .mov.... two hrs. and 6% done and it's not that big a file...
so to deal with things this way could eat days and days of time

Last edited by hopi; 04-30-2012 at 10:51 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #98
airon

Yeah, Reaper is not as well optimized as Protools, or the Quicktime Player. VLC is not really a candidate for comparison, because it's more of a dumb player. The Quicktime Player lets you visually seek in the video, and depending on the codec (single-frame codecs are quickest, delta-frame or Group Of Picture codecs are usually slower) you can locate stuff very quickly.

Reaper is not yet that smart. It will freeze on you if it seemingly cannot decode any frames in time. I'm speculating here as to why it does what it does, but it has to happen somehow. Protools is just lightyears ahead on performance in this area.

I convert a 1024x576 H264 Quicktime to a 512x288 Photojpeg Quicktime(75% quality) of 22 minutes length in about 4 minutes on my i7 920, and it only uses one core.

Converting video is just a reality, and if you don't have a picture department backing you up, taking care of these things, you'll just have to bite the bullet and try to find what works best for your setup.

And continue to pester Cockos to match at least what Protools can do in terms of video seek and playback performance.

Side note. I could play those 512x288 codecs with 10-15% CPU use on an AthlonXP 2500 in PT. The seeking was almost the same speed as it is on the i7 I have now. Yeah, it can be improved.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #99
hopi

thanks airon... right, right

I think we are in the same book at least if not on the same page now... LOL... If I had an i7 I think I would not be so grumpy about this, but my system is old and wimmpy an no money now for a new one.. [I had the i7 budget saved up but then I had to eat it]

so yeah lets keep after them
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #100
sam1

im confused on what do do, ive got the 32 bit version of reaper (latest version) on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I import the .Mov into reaper and its still stuuttery in most places.
I just downloaded the basic K-lite codec pack, what am i supposed to do with it for it to work with reaper?
If reaper is able to fix these video problems id probably be happy to pay double of what reaper is now. Im not really fussed about the audio in the movie, i just want to replace the audio.

Any help would be appreciated.
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #101
airon

If you're using .mov files which are Quicktime files, you'll want to get the FFMPEG libraries and install Quicktime from Apple.

See the first post in this thread on where to get those.

Btw, the K-Lite codec will sometimes help because it installs all kinds of system codecs. For some movie files it works well and maybe a little better than the FFMPEG libraries or Quicktime itself, but the FFMPEG libraries should be the first thing you try.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #102
sam1

Quote:
If you're using .mov files which are Quicktime files, you'll want to get the FFMPEG libraries and install Quicktime from Apple.

See the first post in this thread on where to get those.

Btw, the K-Lite codec will sometimes help because it installs all kinds of system codecs. For some movie files it works well and maybe a little better than the FFMPEG libraries or Quicktime itself, but the FFMPEG libraries should be the first thing you try.
errmmm, where do i put the FFMPEG libraries, also does the k_Lite program automatically work with reaper?
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #103
airon

All in the post, unless you're on the Mac.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #104
strinxx

Hey Airon,

I got my video-playback-probs solved by using ffmpeg-git-a254452-win64-shared.7, which is not the newest build.
I'm on win7 64, Reaper 64.

Everything fine now. Thanks so much!
You're quite a genius, really!
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #105
Mwhlr

Hi there!

I’ve been using Reaper for quite a while now for audio post production, but have very rarely had to render a video. Now, I have a video I want to use as part of a portfolio, but I’m running into issues. I am using Reaper 32-bit and the Zeranoe FFMpeg build specified for this version in the initial post.

Whenever I try to render out my video, I get black flickers randomly throughout. These occur every couple of seconds. I have tried every format and codec available, but I have no luck – the black flickers always appear and are always in the same place. These flickers are not present when the video is played before rendering or outwith Reaper.

I have been using a compressed, low quality version of the video to do my audio-post. This video ran very well, even with a large number of tracks and effects present in the project. Rendering out this low quality version of the video isn’t an issue. There are never any flickers.

The source properties for the compressed, low quality version:

Length: 2:56.300
Video: 640x360@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=RGB
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v53.16.0 (--disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib)

Video: mjpeg (mjpa / 0x61706A6D), yuvj422p, 640x360 [SAR 72:72 DAR 16:9], 9793 kb/s
Audio: pcm_s16be (twos / 0x736F7774), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s

Once I had completed my soundtrack, I rendered it as a single stereo wav file (44.1KHz 16-Bit) and imported this into a clean project with the original quality version of the video. This video, in contrast, does not run well in the editor, even in such a simple project. When playing the video, it stutters and sometimes isn’t as smooth as it should be. The CPU load is around 25 – 30%. There are no black lines however.

The source properties of the high quality video:

Length: 2:56.300
Video: 1280x720@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v53.16.0 (--disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib)

Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1280x720, 1890 kb/s
Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 151 kb/s

Any thoughts? I can only think that it has something to do with how badly Reaper handles this video within the editor, but surely that wouldn’t matter during a render, as the software doesn’t have to do it in real time?

My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 professional 64-bit
2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor 2220 (Hyper Threaded - 8 logical Cores) ~ 2.8 GHz

16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6870

Any help would be appreciated!
Mwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #106
airon

What are you trying to render it to, and what is the target application for the video you want to make ?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #107
Mwhlr

Quote:
What are you trying to render it to, and what is the target application for the video you want to make ?
Hey there - Not quite sure if I got the gist of your questions, so I'll just answer in as many ways as I can:

At the moment, I'm just trying to find a format that will work proper once rendered, but I would like to render the video in a format that will retain its quality, with minimal or no compression. The original format was mp4, so ideally, I suppose that is what I'd like to render it out as.

If you mean what are the files actually being rendered to, it's just my internal HD.

As for the application of the video, it is going to be uploaded to a video hosting site such as Vimeo and then embedded on my personal website as a portfolio piece.

If I have completely missed the point of your questions, I apologize. :P
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #108
airon

That's what I needed to know.

The target format that makes the most sense, since every video site you upload it to is going to transcode your video anyway is :

MKV container
H264 codec with a very high bitrate (10MBit+ with HD content)
16-bit PCM audio

That format works. It uploads to Youtube just fine and has for years. You should do a test upload to Vimeo.

Oh and btw, redownload your video from those video sites and check for sync. Youtube ALWAYS adds delay to the sound because of their encoder or something. It is then a good idea to shift the mix of your audio by the appropriate number of samples, for which Reaper is perfect yet again.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #109
hopi

update and ...

Quote:
Using the FFMPEG libraries, instead of OS decoding (Preferences/Video), everything works just fine.
airon wrote that several posts back to the user having 64 QT problems...

Well, I have now gotten my HD mp4 files to play perfectly in 32 reaper on XP OS...

They work great with the updated ffmeg codecs that one can find from the page that is linked in airon's signature...

So the problem I was having was solved by changing the setting in reaper pref's... so reaper does NOT try to use OS system codecs...
With that box unchecked, I don't need any conversions [thank heaven since they take forever and make way too big files]

Clearly, when it does try to do that, it uses one of the QT codecs and just as clearly, they SUCK! They produce the black windows and jerks and other nonsense... similar to what the user with the 64 bit problems has stated. [similar but not completely the same]

Anyway... I am very happy to see the video I need working smoothly now. I give thanks to airon for all the help.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #110
Mwhlr

Quote:
That's what I needed to know
MKV container
H264 codec with a very high bitrate (10MBit+ with HD content)
16-bit PCM audio

That format works. It uploads to Youtube just fine and has for years. You should do a test upload to Vimeo.
Hey there! Thank you very much for your response. Sadly, no dice - The videos are still rendering with black flickers, all at the exact same points. I've tried WMP and VLC to see if this was a player issue, but it isn't. I'm going to assume that it's something about the video itself? But it doesn't have any sort of flicker before render, so I honestly don't know.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #111
IXix

There's definitely a memory leak during video playback. I installed the recommended FFmpeg build (fmpeg-git-a254452-win32-shared.7z) and dropped a ~73MB mp4 file into an empty project then left it looping while I did something else. When I came back I was greeted by the low memory warning. I reproduced it and kept Process Explorer open during playback...

The graph shows an initial bump up to ~120MB usage when I imported the file then steady memory munch during playback, up to ~190MB when I stopped it after a minute or so.

Here's the source properties dialog text. I'm a video n00b so it makes little sense to me...

Code:
Length: 3:27.196
Video: 640x480@29.58fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 48000Hz 1ch 16bps

Video: mpeg4 (Simple Profile) (mp4v / 0x7634706D), yuv420p, 640x480 [SAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 2808 kb/s
Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, mono, s16, 96 kb/s
My output device was set to 44.1 so it was resampling using "Good 64pt Sinc" mode. I'm on Win7, 32 bit, 4.23pre7.

Last edited by IXix; 05-03-2012 at 02:35 PM.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #112
Dstruct

Try Libav? http://win32.libav.org/win32/libav-win32-20120126.7z
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #113
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
How do you get it to work with REAPER?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #114
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
How do you get it to work with REAPER?
Never mind. I see it's an FFmpeg variant so I guess I just drop the appropriate dlls into the REAPER folder.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #115
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Tried it. Dropped the dll files into the REAPER program folder and dropped an mp4 onto REAPER. The memory leak is even worse.

I notice that none of these video solutions actually replace ffmpeg.dll. Perhaps that's the source of the problem?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #116
airon

They augment the FFMPEG library that comes preinstalled. That one only contains a few free codecs.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #117
IXix

Quote:
They augment the FFMPEG library that comes preinstalled. That one only contains a few free codecs.
Yes, I guessed that must be the case. I was wondering if the memory leak could be in the actual ffmpeg.dll code.

I'd like to get this going. I've been invited to do sound for a short art film but if I can't fix this memory munch I'll struggle to do it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #118
IXix

Quote:
Which codecs does it contain? I tried deleting the additional dlls so that only the built-in ffmpeg.dll remained to see it there's still a memory leak but REAPER then used the Quicktime decoder to play the mp4 so it's not a good test.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #119
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Yes, I guessed that must be the case. I was wondering if the memory leak could be in the actual ffmpeg.dll code.

I'd like to get this going. I've been invited to do sound for a short art film but if I can't fix this memory munch I'll struggle to do it.
I already noticed several time the memory leak with video as MusicByNumbers did.

To fix it for your work, you can try to lower the pre buffering media time and %. The memory leak will take more time.

It seems to work here now. We have two computer, one for video projection, one for mixing. Both have a video. The video projection is a x86 reaper with QT (because it's mainly ProRes stuff). And the mix computer have a RAW avi poor resolution, played with FFmpeg. Both are doing great.

This memory leak should be fixed, thoug ...
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #120
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
To fix it for your work, you can try to lower the pre buffering media time and %. The memory leak will take more time.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Christophe, if you're still reading this thread, please could you investigate this memory leak?