Old 11-25-2023, 01:18 AM   #1
tjw1979
Human being with feelings

Default New rock/metal track Superluminal

Hi all

My latest song called Superluminal is now up on my bandcamp page.

Be awesome if you could drop in for a listen.

https://instantdismissal.bandcamp.co...k/superluminal

ATB

Tim
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
BCF1

Shit, dropped in to give a quick listen, somehow ended up staying around listening to numerous tracks. Obviously I enjoyed what I heard.

Superluminal
Cool melodies throughout this track.
As I listened to additional songs I learned the melodic flavor is not limited toSuperluminal, but a consistent additive to all the tracks and definitely a part of your "thing". Everything I heard I liked.
Didn't listen to the entire album, really cool riffage in the opener "Shards"

Great job man
Thanks for sharing

\m/ Horns Up \m/
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #3
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post
Shit, dropped in to give a quick listen, somehow ended up staying around listening to numerous tracks. Obviously I enjoyed what I heard.

Superluminal
Cool melodies throughout this track.
As I listened to additional songs I learned the melodic flavor is not limited toSuperluminal, but a consistent additive to all the tracks and definitely a part of your "thing". Everything I heard I liked.
Didn't listen to the entire album, really cool riffage in the opener "Shards"

Great job man
Thanks for sharing

\m/ Horns Up \m/
Thanks a lot BCF1 I really appreciate you giving my tracks a spin and your kind words.

I'm not sure I've ever been 100% happy with my mixes, but I certainly try, it's a constant learning curve isn't it! I mix on headphones pretty much all the time now as it's less disruptive at home.

In an ideal world I'd have this project as a real band but it's proven difficult to find people in my area, so I've kept it as just myself and just put songs out every now and again.

Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2023, 03:43 AM   #4
msundh

Great riffs! Really like your guitar tone.
The vocals doesn't get thrue when the melody guitar is added.
Great work.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:31 AM   #5
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Great riffs! Really like your guitar tone.
The vocals doesn't get thrue when the melody guitar is added.
Great work.
Thanks msundh. Yes you're right the vocal definitely need a push during the lead parts. I think I'll revisit it and pull the lead back a touch and up the vocals.

I've gone back and forth with this, I tried sidechaining the vocals to the guitars, and some other stuff. Perhaps it just needs some simple volume automation. I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Last edited by tjw1979; 11-27-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:03 PM   #6
shangsean

I don't think the vocals are lacking presence. If anything they sound fairly loud when it's just the rhythm guitars. This comes from someone that gets told their vocals are too low though, so take it for what it is. I treat vocals as just another instrument and don't like them to sit on top of the other instruments. I also think that the perceived volume of vocals can change a lot on subsequent listens and can also depend a lot on how they were mixed on something else you've been listening to.

I do think the vocals in your track sound lower when the leads are present, but whether they are too low or the other parts too loud is up to you. It depends what you like. Regardless, the mix is solid and doesn't detract from the listening experience in any meaningful way. Not all mixes have to or should sound the same. It's part of the character of the track.

I got Astronoid vibes from the track, although I wouldn't say it's all that similar. It's the band that came to mind though.
shangsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #7
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangsean View Post
I don't think the vocals are lacking presence. If anything they sound fairly loud when it's just the rhythm guitars. This comes from someone that gets told their vocals are too low though, so take it for what it is. I treat vocals as just another instrument and don't like them to sit on top of the other instruments. I also think that the perceived volume of vocals can change a lot on subsequent listens and can also depend a lot on how they were mixed on something else you've been listening to.
That's reassuring to know, been stressing over the balance to a degree, trying to get it spot on. I too am not a huge fan of vocals right on top of the mix, preferring them to sit amongst the instruments. I recorded the vocals with just an sm57 into an ancient interface in an untreated room.

Quote:
I do think the vocals in your track sound lower when the leads are present, but whether they are too low or the other parts too loud is up to you. It depends what you like. Regardless, the mix is solid and doesn't detract from the listening experience in any meaningful way. Not all mixes have to or should sound the same. It's part of the character of the track.to.
When I get some time I think I'm going to try remix the vocals against the instrumental. It may just need a touch of automation here and there or I may zero everything out with them and start again.

Quote:
I got Astronoid vibes from the track, although I wouldn't say it's all that similar. It's the band that came to mind though.
I've never heard of those, but on listening today at work, they are really good!!! Thanks for the introduction!

And thanks a lot for listening and give your thoughts, I appreciate it.

ATB

Tim
Old 11-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #8
JMTee

Nice, great work, I like the guitars, good tone and I like the combination of the rhythm and the lead guitar parts. And good job on the vocals too, good performance.
What do you use for your guitar rig? pedal board? plugins?
my only comment would be I feel maybe the song could end at around 4 mins, the first few minutes had lots of different sections and combinations of instruments to keep me interested, but the last part sounded a bit similar.
But great work, very polished sounding
Old 11-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #9
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTee View Post
Nice, great work, I like the guitars, good tone and I like the combination of the rhythm and the lead guitar parts. And good job on the vocals too, good performance.
What do you use for your guitar rig? pedal board? plugins?
my only comment would be I feel maybe the song could end at around 4 mins, the first few minutes had lots of different sections and combinations of instruments to keep me interested, but the last part sounded a bit similar.
But great work, very polished sounding

Thanks a lot JM, I appreciate it. Yes I use plugins for all instruments, neural soldano and kazrog ampcraft and I used a fender pbass and a duo sonic.

Do you know what you're absolutely right, originally I did intend to end it early, but I indulged myself with that extra section played as triplets for an outro rather than a dead stop out of that bridge section. I could probably chop it down if need be and would likely be worth trying to see how it sounds.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-28-2023, 11:18 PM   #10
enroe

Superluminal: Nice grooving rock song! The guitar work is solid,
the vocals give the whole thing a slightly wild, punky character
thanks to their slight bends.

Overall: great job.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:16 PM   #11
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Superluminal: Nice grooving rock song! The guitar work is solid,
the vocals give the whole thing a slightly wild, punky character
thanks to their slight bends.

Overall: great job.

Thanks very much Enroe. I always enjoy reading your post-listen analysis of songs