Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Frappa
Human being with feelings

Default Input: MIDI > All MIDI Inputs but ... / Input: MIDI > Choose MIDI Inputs

Justin, I saw you are making some MIDI device management enhancements in the current pre-releases. Thanks for that - great.

Maybe the following would be easy to implement and handle, since you’re working currently on MIDI devices management changes:

I think setting MIDI Input devices in the TCP/MCP would need the following enhancements/features:

--- CURRENTLY ---

Input: MIDI > MIDI device 1
Input: MIDI > MIDI device 2

Input: MIDI > All MIDI Inputs

--- PROPOSAL ---

Input: MIDI > MIDI device 1
Input: MIDI > MIDI device 2

Input: MIDI > All MIDI devices

and
Input: MIDI > All MIDI devices but …
or
Input: MIDI > All MIDI devices without …
or
Input: MIDI > All MIDI devices excluding …

and
Input: MIDI > Choose MIDI Inputs

Also: the selection of more than one MIDI channels should be possible via enabling more than one checkmarks:

Input: MIDI > MIDI device 1 > All Channels, Channel 1, Channel 2, …
Input: MIDI > MIDI device 2 > All Channels, Channel 1, Channel 2, …

Input: MIDI > All MIDI devices > All Channels, Channel 1, Channel 2, …
Input: MIDI > All MIDI Inputs but ... > All Channels, Channel 1, Channel 2, …
Input: MIDI > Choose MIDI Inputs > All Channels, Channel 1, Channel 2, …

--- JUST ONE PRACTICAL EXAMPLE ---

When using Playtime with a grid-controller like the Launchpad, I have the issue that I hear (and also record) the notes of the launchpad on the ‚real’ instrument-tracks, when starting/stopping/recording clips - because I have choosen ‚Input: MIDI > All MIDI Inputs‘ on the instrument tracks.

The reason why I currently have to choose ‚Input: MIDI > All MIDI Inputs‘ is, I want to have all my different MIDI controllers (without the Launchpad) for playing/recording at the same time.

The solution for this issue and a lot of other use-cases would be the above.

This would be outstanding. It’s killing my flow since a long time - especially when using Playtime - because I always have to set a single MIDI device, when recording the next track/instrument.

Basically it’s the same also without using Playtime, when you have more than one MIDI devices for playing/recording and just a single one or two for controlling and toggling actions/parameter-switches via MIDI notes (for example Launchpad)

IMO, this also would make some external tinkering with MIDI apps/routers/drivers obsolete.

Dear Reaper users, what do you think about these enhancements ?

Last edited by Frappa; 08-17-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Frappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Frappa

In the meantime, is there any workaround, without creating new virtual MIDI devices outside of Reaper ?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:36 AM   #3
Frappa

Sorry, I have to push this:

If it's easier to implement, an alternative would be the possibility to create a virtual MIDI device in the preferences, which allows the connection of physical devices.

In my use-case I would connect all MIDI devices without the Lauchpad to this virtual one.

This virtual one would be my 'All MIDI Inputs' for the default setting of new MIDI tracks for recording.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #4
ThrashJazzAssassin

My default REAPER template has dedicated tracks for all my MIDI input devices. Then I use MIDI sends to route them to the tracks I need. Most of these dedicated MIDI input tracks have a ReaControlMIDI plugin so I can transpose, log input etc. and some of them have arpeggiators, key splitters, MIDItoReaControlPath, MIDI filters, etc. It's very powerful.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Frappa

This sounds like a way to go. Why didn't I think of this before, hah. I have to try, to see if it's practical in my case.

Any disadvantages ?

Does anybody know, if there is buffer/latency/jitter added, when internally routing MIDI ?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Frappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
My default REAPER template has dedicated tracks for all my MIDI input devices. Then I use MIDI sends to route them to the tracks I need. Most of these dedicated MIDI input tracks have a ReaControlMIDI plugin so I can transpose, log input etc. and some of them have arpeggiators, key splitters, MIDItoReaControlPath, MIDI filters, etc. It's very powerful.
I've tried this - in my case it's too cumbersome, because I would have to toggle MIDI mute in the send-dialog (instead of just arming a track). Also there is no action for that.

Thanks for that idea anyways.

My current workaround: I have to use good old Bome's MT, just for external re-routing of the static Launchpad CH 1 to 16. With that I can now set the MIDI inputs of the instrument-tracks to 'All inputs, CH1', without interfering with Playtime on CH1. It' doesn't work with MPE instruments though.

I would love to be able to do that in Reaper TCP or preferences.

Justin and other devs? Is this maybe something for V6? Please. Sorry.

Last edited by Frappa; 08-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #7
_jon

+1 not being able to exclude MIDI devices from “all inputs” is one of the snags I’m running into as a new user.
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
_jon

Default Breath controllers as an example

As an example of a situation where this becomes an issue... I just got a Breath and Bite controller to use for wind instrument emulations..

If I load in any synth or other existing softsynth Track Templates, stuff like that, many times the MIDI input was saved as "All Inputs" so now the breath controller, even just sitting doing nothing, is sending an "expression amount 0" event and messing with the settings of the synths or stopping them from making any sound altogether, depending on the device.

It would be great to be able to exclude my breath controller from All MIDI Inputs, and only have it enabled for the specific use cases where I want it on.
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote