Old 10-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
MD8K
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper, recording with a sustain pedal.

Hi guys,

I've recently made the switch to Reaper from Logic. I'm really enjoying the experience so far, and I have made this my main DAW. I've customised the UI a bit which is speeding up my work flow quite nicely.

I do have an issue though and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I've typically always used DAW's to record acoustic instruments having never really ventured into the world of MIDI. I've recently purchased a nice sample based instrument (Omnisphere) and i'm hooking it up to a Samson Graphite 49 with an M Audio sustain pedal. When playing around and holding the pedal down, the playback through my headphones is sustained. If I hit arm and record, again the sounds are sustained if the pedal is pressed down.
Once I release the pedal and play back the recording, the sounds are no longer sustained.

Essentially what i'm asking is, how on earth do I record the sustain pedal MIDI command thingy so that I can record and my notes are sustained?

Thanks!
MD8K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello MD8K and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

That seems a bit weird. From what you have said, on playing your keyboard the notes and sustain pedal messages are being sent to Omnisphere and causing the notes to be sustained.

Did you have to set up anything special for Omnisphere to do that?

But on playback of a recorded MIDI clip the notes are not sustained?

Could you look at the recorded MIDI clip in the MIDI Editor : Event List view and check that the Sustain CC messages are there? That's where they should be recorded.

Also, insert a MIDI Monitor (insertpizhere does a good one) as an Input FX and check that the MIDI CC Sustain messages are coming into Reaper.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Guido

Hi,

Ill venture a guess as to whats goin on...The op is hitting the sust pedal just b4 he hits record..and well u can imagine the rest...pdl down, record,play chord,its fine on playing the part..then playback.....chord...sustain off..no the same..am i crazy?

BTW..in logic there was an "action" to covert sustain pdl to note length..boy wouldnt that be nice in Reaper..or no?

Guido

EDIT If i am right , u can go into the midi editor and insert the sust on message...i believe its CC # 64 with a value of 127..Sust pdl off is CC#64 with a value of 0? I could be wrong on the values.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Stretto

Guido: I would imagine if your right then the pedal would simply be reversed or correct itself after a few up's and down's. I can imagine the OP fiddling with the pedal trying to figure it out and get sustain out of it somehow.

MD8K: Record a midi track and see if your track is recording the sustain pedal or not. If it is then play the track back and see if the sustain is playing back. If not then it possibly has to do with your midi track settings. If so then it is probably a problem with omnisphere(doubtful since it probably doesn't know if it's being recorded or not... although there is a setting for that in the vst options).

My guess, if Guido is no correct, is that you have some weird thing going on with the midi track feeding omnisphere.... maybe try a new project to test out something very simple(non-omnisphere) to see if you have the same problem.
Stretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
MD8K

Hi,

No I press record, arm the track. Then I press down the pedal after. It still doesn't record the MIDI change.

I've tried all of your suggestions to no avail sadly, I tried a Piano Library in Kontakt and it still doesn't work.

If I draw in the CC 64 changes and put all values to 127 I seem to get a shotgun effect of the pedal sound being triggered over and over and over, perhaps i'm drawing it in incorrectly... All in all it's weird. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge, but didn't have this problem with Logic. (Even though I prefer Reaper).

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions thus far,

M
MD8K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD8K View Post
Hi,

No I press record, arm the track. Then I press down the pedal after. It still doesn't record the MIDI change.

I've tried all of your suggestions to no avail sadly, I tried a Piano Library in Kontakt and it still doesn't work.

If I draw in the CC 64 changes and put all values to 127 I seem to get a shotgun effect of the pedal sound being triggered over and over and over, perhaps i'm drawing it in incorrectly... All in all it's weird. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge, but didn't have this problem with Logic. (Even though I prefer Reaper).

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions thus far,

M
But what was result if you investigasted as suggested?

If you select item, opening midi editor and event view, you should see what is there?

Which controllers can you see there in the list?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Stretto

M8DK. If it's not recording the midi changes THEN it's not getting them! That is, if you record arm the a midi track THAT is recording the same track of your keyboard then you should get both the notes you are playing AND the pedal!

If you are only getting the notes and not the pedal then it has to do with the type of midi message the pedal is sending. Not all pedals use the same midi message for sustain. BUT then it means that your pedal is being recorded but just not interpreted properly. You should be able to see the the pedal's cc message somewhere in the drop down selection in the midi editor. (monitor the midi messages to find out which one easily)

If you are not getting anything you are not recording the right midi channel or something is very messed up.

Make sure you start a new project too... New project->New Track->Rec Arm->Input Midi->analyze record midi track for pedal sustain.

If you can't find it but have notes THEN it's almost surely not reaper... unless you have screwed something up big time.
Stretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
murrayof

Interesting, I am having this same problem here in 2021
murrayof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
JoshR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayof View Post
Interesting, I am having this same problem here in 2021 with pedal
Solved it?
JoshR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
Jeaper

Default Possible solution?

For those who might still having this issue, or those new to Reaper, I d like to let you know you are basically screwed... there's nothing to ever be done about this... or is there? JK, smthg that seemed to work at least for me, you go to: options/ preferences / MIDI devices / double click on the name of you MIDI controller / Check box next to "Enable input for control messages" and then select "Force channel 4" from dropdown box. That, after closing and reopening Reaper and hitting Record arm/disarm on the track several times, seemed to be the solution for this issue in my case... try it to see if it works, got nothing to lose except time, but then again, better that than nothing... Good luck!

Last edited by Jeaper; 05-15-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Jeaper is offline   Reply With Quote