Old 11-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
JeffOYB
Human being with feelings

Default ReaGate doesn't work on Mac -- know a workaround?

Hi! I've heard that ReaGate is awesome but apparently it doesn't work [IN AUDITION] on a Mac. I saw it described on a Post Processing video by Julian Krause -- the weird thing is I recall he implied he was using a Mac. ??? Anyway, can anyone think of a workaround? Heck, this is a bit lame, but: do you know if there are regular functions in Adobe Audition that I could put together to emulate ReaGate? I mean, that's the purpose of ReaGate -- to make a bunch of tasks together and make them easy to manage. It looks like I'm stuck doing it the long way around. Unless someone has a bright idea? Thanks!

(PS: I'm not going to be able to do a Bootcamp or Wine emulation just for this one plugin...)

[I FIXED MY REQUEST BY CLARIFYING THAT I WANT TO USE IT AS A PLUGIN IN AUDITION. THX]

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-08-2019 at 07:40 AM.
JeffOYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
serr

No troubles with ReaGate or any other Reaper plugin on a Mac.
Whatever is going wrong for you has a different root cause.

What doesn't appear to be working?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
I mean, that's the purpose of ReaGate -- to make a bunch of tasks together and make them easy to manage.
I'm also wondering if you are misunderstanding what a gate is, or if I'm completely missing out on some extra functionality of one.

The main function of a (non-inverted) gate is to only allow sound to pass the gate when it crosses a threshold. I mean, there's more you can do with a gate than that, but If I were following a sentence "that's the purpose of ReaGate", it would be with some sort of statement like that. lol

Were you maybe talking about some other plugin? Edit: I just watched the video you mentioned now, and I see he's using ReaGate as a noise gate, which as he points out, is meant to block background noise/reduce his breath sounds. As others mentioned, gates are a dime a dozen.. very easy to find. If you really need a noise gate, there's plenty of free ones for PC or Mac. Here's one here for Mac: http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5 I'd be surprised if you don't already have a gate installed from Audition or other audio software you may have installed.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
No troubles with ReaGate or any other Reaper plugin on a Mac.
The author of the video the original poster mentioned is using the ReaGate standalone plugin version, which is only available for Windows. It looks like the original poster is not interested in using Reaper, just the ReaGate plugin, which won't be possible on MacOs.

Anyway, gate plugins are dime a dozen, Adobe Audition probably has some kind of gate plugin included itself.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Anyway, gate plugins are dime a dozen, Adobe Audition probably has some kind of gate plugin included itself.
Audition uses both VST and AU on OS X, so yep, lots of options to try. Even Apple's own ancient native system AU fx and filters show up even if you don't ask them to (or know how they got there or where they are), and some are actually still pretty useful.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
JeffOYB

Hi! Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I see a couple gates in the Effects pulldown but when I look at them they don't offer any of the features that the ReaGate does. One is a 10db gate the other a 20db gate. I don't know what that means. They just have a line on a graph that I could pull this way or that. I don't know enough about how to shape such a line. I like the looks of the ReaGate and the helpful info Julian Krause provided. ...The attack, release and wet and dry stuff. Hysteresis. Those features all looked pretty neat. I wanted to try out something like that.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
JeffOYB

PS: Julian Krause actually is using Audition! and it seems like he's on a Mac and using the ReaGate plugin! ...but how??? help please!

In his comments he says that the plugin is a regular VST and can be used on any OS. For me the problem is the .exe file associated with it. If I could just get the VST maybe I can get it into Audition. ?

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-08-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
nait

I've never really used a Mac before, save for once or twice.. and barely at that. So, I'm not sure how the GUI looks nowadays and if it's common/possible for people to set it up to look like Windows, but right at the start of the video, it shows him and a desktop that looks exactly like a Windows desktop.

You can see that (ungh) search box down there, and what would be the Windows icon, in the bottom left. Icons all look the same size as they would on PC.. time and task tray in the right.

See attachment.

I definitely could be wrong, but to me it looks like he's on a Windows PC. What makes you think he's on Mac? Do people generally set their desktop/gui to look like Windows when using Mac? (not trying to be snarky here, I'm honestly that clueless about Macs lol)

I'd honestly just look for another free gate. Gates are a very common plug-in and it shouldn't be too hard to find one that is as easy to use as ReaGate. Either way, good luck!

More free noise gates: https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/mac...se-gate/newest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windowsormac.jpg (62.6 KB, 9 views)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
JeffOYB

Thanks!

EDITED... i think you're right about that desktop.

I thought I recalled him talking about Win like he was not using one but I was wrong. I've been listening to a bunch of vids!

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
nait

Quote:
Thanks! i bet you're right about that desktop. ...I just recall him saying something like "the shortcut is command-something and if you're on a Win machine I think the keystroke is alt-something but i'm not sure." but i might be misremembering the video! i guess i can listen to it again.
Ahh OK.. I skimmed the video. That does sound like it would be a tip off towards Mac, if he did say it that way in this video. But yeah, he'd have to have set up his Mac desktop to look just like a PC though, which maybe is weird, but not entirely unlikely either (afaik.. again.. Mac-clueless.. no idea if you can customize to that degree lol).

Last edited by nait; 11-08-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
JeffOYB

no, i think i was remembering it wrong. i edited my reply above... (sorry for confusing anyone)

we'll see if anyone has a fix or i can just try to find another plugin
Old 11-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Xenakios

Quote:

we'll see if anyone has a fix or i can just try to find another plugin
There's no fix. ReaGate can be used on macOs only with Reaper.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
JeffOYB

ok, thanks for the time and help! and apologies for sending the topic out beyond Reaper...

it looks like i might've found something else good, free and simple at Bob Perry:

https://www.bobperry-audio.com/shop/bob-perry-gate/
Old 11-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
JeffOYB

Rats. I'm still lost. I looked at the Bob Perry gate -- it doesn't have any wet dry noise controls. Or hysteresis.

Now I'm finally looking at the built-in Gate in Audition -- now that I've opened its Settings it looks like it has a lot of what ReaGate has. Too bad I don't understand this stuff nor have time to learn it. I'm just trying to do what YouTube videos suggest. Lame I know but that's my situation....

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-10-2019 at 01:40 PM.