Old 04-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
stereolost
Human being with feelings

Default UAD-2 plugins disable during Render

Hello. I've just spent my first month with Reaper and am i amazed, man..

One of the things that bother me: render time is much much lower than it was in Cubase 8, and all is well, but it seems like my UAD system can not think so fast. So often when i render "full speed offline", UAD stuff would just get overloaded and disabled in the process.
Maybe somebody knows how to configure UAD to catch up?
Or maybe there is a way to have something like "Not so fast offline render, but not 1x speed"?
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
serr

Welcome to the love/hate relationship with UAD plugins!

You do in fact need to render at 1x. That goes for freezing tracks with UAD plugs too.

The "catching up" part will be when they ditch the pci card and go native.

Love the sound though. I use them all the time.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Tommy V

Huh? I just ran a test of fast offline vs. 1x online using 3 UAD plugs (1176LN MkII, Pultec Pro (legacy), Cambridge EQ) and the resulting renders null completely, not even a ripple on the Analyzer (Melda).

What would be the circumstances where they would overload and disable? My Solo-2 read a DSP of 27% and PGM 24% for both renders.

Tommy V

Last edited by Tommy V; 04-22-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: reversed the DSP percentages
Tommy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
stereolost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy V View Post
What would be the circumstances where they would overload and disable? My Solo-2 read a DSP of 24% and PGM 27% for both renders.

Tommy V
Not sure, it just happens randomly. During render display freezes for a second and than i get UAD console notification that "One or more UAD plugins are disabled".
What is your buffer size? Mine is set to 128. Was rendering a very small project. Only one UAD plug-in (Precision De-Esser). Offline Render speed x18.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Tommy V

Just a shot in the dark here .... have you checked the DSP load in the UAD Control Panel app? Is it at or near 100%? Do you have LoadLock disabled? Are you automating any of the UAD plugs?

Are there any other active UAD plugs in FX Monitoring?

The latter could cause an overload problem because even if FX Monitoring is bypassed overall, the plugs within are still active unless bypassed individually.

Tommy V

Last edited by Tommy V; 04-22-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: 'bypassed' - not 'disabled' .... differerent functions
Tommy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
richie43

Does this have anything to do with the problems?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #7
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Does this have anything to do with the problems?

The poster is using UAD-2. That "legacy" option only applies to UAD-1 cards and really is most applicable when you have multiple UAD-1 cards ( I had a 4 UAD-1 card system back in the day). The UAD-2 driver architecture is completely different and does not need or is recommended to use that setting, as it can actually cripple REAPER performance (it deactivates anticipative fx processing mode).

The UAD plug-ins are best rendered in realtime or near realtime. I can see how certainly x18 speed could cause an issue. Maybe if the poster raised his buffer latency from 128 to 1024 it may render error free, but otherwise it is best to stay with near realtime for renders. I always keep REAPER at it's default settings and have never had a problem rendering 40,50,60 UAD plugins or more @ 44/24 (I have 2 QUADs and a SOLO).

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Don Schenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
...The UAD-2 driver architecture is completely different and does not need or is recommended to use that setting, as it can actually cripple REAPER performance (it deactivates anticipative fx processing mode).

...Maybe if the poster raised his buffer latency from 128 to 1024 it may render error free, but otherwise it is best to stay with near realtime for renders. I always keep REAPER at it's default settings and have never had a problem rendering 40,50,60 UAD plugins or more @ 44/24 (I have 2 QUADs and a SOLO).

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Thanks Billy,

In prefs, under the buffering control box it only mentions UAD, but not UAD-1 or UAD-2. I usually keep my buffer setting at the default. I've not had a problem rendering, I usually un-check the Anticipative processing box in my Mac. So, with UAD-2 I can keep the check mark?

:-Don
Attached Images
File Type: gif UAD-in-Reaper-GIF.gif (32.5 KB, 316 views)
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #9
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
Thanks Billy,

In prefs, under the buffering control box it only mentions UAD, but not UAD-1 or UAD-2. I usually keep my buffer setting at the default. I've not had a problem rendering, I usually un-check the Anticipative processing box in my Mac. So, with UAD-2 I can keep the check mark?

Yes Don, that REAPER Audio Bufferings Preferences page is perfect for UAD-2 devices. I run an Apollo QUAD and (2) PCIe cards (9 DSP's) and I never change the default settings. In fact, REAPER's default settings at initial install are pretty much optimized for UAD-2 processing. Justin and the REAPER crew have done a real nice job in regards to UAD-2 compatibility. If I recall correctly, UA even sent Justin a UAD-2 card many years ago, for internal testing purposes. Probably why REAPER 4 works so well with the Apollo and UAD-2 devices right out of the box. I use other DAW apps, but I much prefer using REAPER when tracking/mixing with UAD plugins.

I like that REAPER is also cross platform, so I can take my Apollo Twin Duo/Mac Mini setup for mobile recording and then open that REAPER project on my PC DAW Rig (where I have my Apollo Quad and Quad & Solo PCIe cards) for mixing and additional tracking if need be. My REAPER PC & REAPER Mac Preferences settings are virtually the same.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 04-23-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
billybk1

Since I first started using REAPER back in 2006 with my ol' UAD-1 cards, I've always kept my render settings at their recommended defaults as well (blank block size for auto).

This a typical project I did recently with 20 UAD-2 plug-ins (most of which are upsampled to 192k). Took all of 2:07 to render a 3+ minute song. I sometimes spend hours, days, weeks working on a project to get it just right, so waiting a few minutes to get the perfect render is a non-issue for me. Perfect excuse to go downstairs and get another cup of coffee.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Faderjockey

I know it's slower.. I too also used Reaper back in 2006 with 3 UAD1's.
But with my UAD2 plugs I don't have issue with them being disabled they just render slower. not that big of a deal.. use to take longer to rewind a tape machine..
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
stereolost

Maybe it's my hackintosh-apollo-thunderbolt issue, don't know. It's still happens from time to time. Sometimes rendering the very same project, which rendered ok, gives the error on the second pass.
Regarding the "1x offline" speed... Some very big projects with plugins that oversample during render actually render slower than realtime - wonder, what happens to them in 1xspeed mode.. Gonna try and post.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Don Schenk

Quote:
Yes Don, that REAPER Audio Bufferings Preferences page is perfect for UAD-2 devices. I run an Apollo QUAD and (2) PCIe cards (9 DSP's) and I never change the default settings. In fact, REAPER's default settings at initial install are pretty much optimized for UAD-2 processing. Justin and the REAPER crew have done a real nice job in regards to UAD-2 compatibility. If I recall correctly, UA even sent Justin a UAD-2 card many years ago, for internal testing purposes. Probably why REAPER 4 works so well with the Apollo and UAD-2 devices right out of the box. I use other DAW apps, but I much prefer using REAPER when tracking/mixing with UAD plugins.
Quote:
Since I first started using REAPER back in 2006 with my ol' UAD-1 cards, I've always kept my render settings at their recommended defaults as well (blank block size for auto).

This a typical project I did recently with 20 UAD-2 plug-ins (most of which are upsampled to 192k). Took all of 2:07 to render a 3+ minute song. I sometimes spend hours, days, weeks working on a project to get it just right, so waiting a few minutes to get the perfect render is a non-issue for me. Perfect excuse to go downstairs and get another cup of coffee.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Thank you Billy. I will go back to the default setting and not worry about UAD.

And, I can always use more caffeine!

Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
jadoube

Default I went from being very stable to locking up on Render

I had this weird thing where my UAD Apollo was constantly bugging me to reflash the firmware. Only it was fine. Everything worked ok so I just ignored it. I finally opened a ticket with UAD and they sent me clean uninstall instructions for OSX and said start with that. So now I don't have the firmware problem but now I get a freeze on Render! And occasionally the Audio goes dark... no Signal to output even though Reaper is playing. Problem seems to be with the Drivers... if I touch the Reaper Audio page and/or the UAD console it comes back to life.

Anyway it's maddening... particularly since I have some final mixes to get out the door. Reading this makes me think I should reset Reaper 5 (Latest release)

Anything ringing a bell for anyone? I use a Macbook Pro w a Apollo Quad and a Octo Satellite all on Thunderbolt. I'll try rendering in Real-time although I have never had to do that before.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
jadoube

Default My Bad

Sooo.... to close this off in case others find it. Problem was the reinstall that UAD had me do neglected to to tell me to re-authorize (download authorization) all my UAD plugins. What's curious is that it all played back fine... just wouldn't render. D'OH!!