Old 09-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Daniovan
Human being with feelings

Default Exciter and Enhancer plugin(s)

Hello,

what exciter and - or enhancer plugin(s) have you got and what for ?
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Plazma

None... they aren't really necessary most of the time. A bit of high EQ can achieve the same result in most cases.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
DVDdoug

I've experimented, but I don't use one...

Based on the Aphex Aural Exciter, they add high frequency harmonics to existing high frequency sounds.

I believe it's mostly used to "restore" harmonics missing from older dull-sounding recordings, but originally it was a studio effect used to add "sparkle".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Magicbuss

Thrillseeker XTC is a great free exciter.

I use them occasionally to brighten things as an alternative to EQ. Snare drums are a prime candidate.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
LightOfDay
Banned

I have tried everything hoping that an exciter/enhancer would give me that WOW.

they didnt. there are some that are not needed and some that are really bad. most make somewhat grainy highs, some have a tendency to sound in direction of a telephone and so on and on. not satisfying.

but: I am also an enemy of any kind of saturation or exciting. the same reason, it makes everything grainy or sounding like tape. disgusting.

a real enlightment is the SlickEQ GE, simply because regardless what you dial in it keeps gain-unitiy. so to enhance something give the track a boot od 1 db at 40kHz (!!) and you never ever ask again for an exciter/enhancer.

so my opinion is: delete all these plugins and use a really good EQ in a very gentle way.

PS: I would like to have ReaEQ oversampling and a switch to keep unitiy-gain regardless of whats dialled in. so that would be an EQ that could top the SlickEQ GE. ah, and have to all the other filter-types a tilt-EQ. that all would make all exciter/enhancers obsolet. devs, christmas is on its way?
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
ivansc

Historically enhancers came about because of the limitations imposed by analogue tape, especially in the small formats like 1/4" and cassette.
No real need for them these days imo.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
The Telenator
Banned

They are a lazy man's tool. Some studios will fire your butt if they catch you using one. If it were my call, I prolly well would, too.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
xpander

I don't use them but have tried the JS version found here:
BBE Sonic Maximizer
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91439
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #9
Kooljohn74

I've tried them but found them inferior compared to a good eq.

Sonnox
DMG
Softube Tubetech
Fabfilter q2

All of the above do very good jobs with eq. DMG and Fabfilter are similar sounding. Clean, precise and swiss knife like. If you want a frequency gone with little interference elsewhere those are the tools for the job. Proper frequency assassins, killing them without being noticed. EQ stealth if you will

Sonnox is useful but has a sound that doesn't lend itself to all material. I tend to use it on more commercial/clean sounding projects and avoid if I need any warmth or grit to the sound.

The Softube recreations of the pultec plugs are some of the very best eq plug ins I've encountered. Unbelievably good and just bring any sound to life. The other bonus is that it's very hard to make them sound bad. Great for clumsy engineers like myself...
More...more...I want it to go to 11!!!!

Take a look at some of those for eqing and you won't ever need to worry about exciter plug ins ever again.
Kooljohn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #10
thewizrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
I have tried everything hoping that an exciter/enhancer would give me that WOW.

they didnt. there are some that are not needed and some that are really bad. most make somewhat grainy highs, some have a tendency to sound in direction of a telephone and so on and on. not satisfying.

but: I am also an enemy of any kind of saturation or exciting. the same reason, it makes everything grainy or sounding like tape. disgusting.

a real enlightment is the SlickEQ GE, simply because regardless what you dial in it keeps gain-unitiy. so to enhance something give the track a boot od 1 db at 40kHz (!!) and you never ever ask again for an exciter/enhancer.

so my opinion is: delete all these plugins and use a really good EQ in a very gentle way.

PS: I would like to have ReaEQ oversampling and a switch to keep unitiy-gain regardless of whats dialled in. so that would be an EQ that could top the SlickEQ GE. ah, and have to all the other filter-types a tilt-EQ. that all would make all exciter/enhancers obsolet. devs, christmas is on its way?
Also, Luftikus has keep gain function which is similar.
thewizrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Historically enhancers came about because of the limitations imposed by analogue tape, especially in the small formats like 1/4" and cassette.
No real need for them these days imo.
Apparently not.

"Originally made for live use", according to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncEay3D_8yI

People get very angry about exciters for some reason. As if there are just some things that go beyond the realms of good taste to use in signal processing

I've got good use out of them in parallel on a vocal track. Either La Petite Excite (free: http://finecutbodies.com/?p=sound ), or JS: Exciter.

I demo'd the Waves Aphex, but the only thing it seemed to offer above JS: Exciter was optional hiss.
Judders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #12
Daniovan

Default e-bass

Hello,

I know some e-bass players using enhancer/exciter only, to bring the bass up, to make it sound more rounded, full sounded, without affecting the low mid-mid range (there are usually ´lots of instruments fighting in low-mid-mid range !)too apparently.
Especially a miked up e-bass could sound too dull and could need more high mids in order to sit well in a mix and with an eq you can only boost frequencies of an instrument that are already there, so boosting high mids of an e-bass with eq without having any sounds in high mids would mean boosting more hiss ! But an enhancer/exciter could do it with a quite good result !

I have not used enhancers / exciters very often (only for miked up bass, sometimes kick), but who knows ... ?-!

Not many bass players here ?-! hehe

Enhancer and-or exciter is not simply an eq, golly !

Last edited by Daniovan; 09-28-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
James HE

I use the included JS Stillwell/Hugebooty and Stillwell/exciter quite a bit.

Kick and snare, respectively, usually.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote