Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
atotheroh
Human being with feelings

Default Overdubbing filter changes

Hello.

I am fairly new to Reaper and to MIDI in general, but I have had much success in learning how to use EZdrummer, the free MiniMogue VST, and other VSTs in Reaper.

There is one thing I want to do though and I can't quite figure it out. I have a synth track that I want to go back through and change the filter settings over time in order to alter the sound over time. Is there a way to do this without recording over the previous MIDI data? I don't want to edit the MIDI, I just want to control the filter in the plugin and have it change throughout the track that i already recorded.

Forgive me for my lack of sophistication with all the jargon. I'm still new at this.

Thank you very much for your time.
atotheroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello atotheroh and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Yep, that is certainly possible. What you need is Parameter automation. That will let you control the Filter parameter of the plug-in synth, changing it at different times - either by editing points in the Arranger, or from a MIDI keyboard controller.

To get started (there is much, much more that can be done):
  • open the synth GUI
  • twiddle the Filter Cutoff knob
  • click [Param] and select "Show track envelope"
  • there should now be an Automation Envelope lane in the Arranger, its height at any point shows the level of the parameter
  • drag the lower edge to make it taller
  • insert some envelope points on the line (Shift+click here)
  • drag the points or the segments between the points up/down to change the envelope
  • in the Track Control Panel (you may need to drag the lower edge to show all the buttons), right-click [TRIM] and change it to [READ]
  • now play back the track and you should see the Filter Cutoff control move and hear the sound change.

Check out the User Guide, chapter 16 for all the details.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
atotheroh

Ah, parameter automation! Came across that in a YouTube video a while back. I forgot about it. You da man!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
atotheroh

So I got it to work just fine by adding and editing the points with my cursor, but I still can't seem to set it up so that I can hear the playback and edit the envelope with my midi controller. If I play the track, my midi controller edits the envelope fine. But I can't get it to save controller data to the envelope automation track for recording.

EDIT- I got it now. I was hitting "record" instead of "play" to gather MIDI controller data for the envelope automation. Thank you so much for the help DarkStar, I am pumped to use this function.

Last edited by atotheroh; 01-15-2014 at 03:43 PM.